New iMacs in Stock

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Railheaddesign is the first to note confirmation of the new iMac in stock at a location (in this case, Microcenter):

I spoke with Microcenter last night, and they have received their initial stock of the 800MHz iMacs — 50 of them, to be exact. I was told that they would be setting them up tonight to have them ready for the weekend, and I told them I’d be there with bells on.

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Re: New iMacs in Stock

Originally posted by arn
Railheaddesign is the first to note confirmation of the new iMac in stock at a location (in this case, Microcenter):

I spoke with Microcenter last night, and they have received their initial stock of the 800MHz iMacs — 50 of them, to be exact. I was told that they would be setting them up tonight to have them ready for the weekend, and I told them I’d be there with bells on.
I saw that too, but I also noticed that tonight (Saturday) although he has updated the site, he made no further mention of the iMacs. Your quote, by the way, is from Thursday. That implies that MicroCenter has now waited 3 whole days without putting out the machines. I know margins for resellers are low on Apple machines, but I find it hard to believe that they haven't felt compelled to unpack one and handtruck a few boxes out onto the floor.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Well, if they aren't supposed to ship until the end of the month, maybe Apple has a release date, like the 28th of Jan or something. I would be upset tho, if all these stores are getting their iMacs before my wife does. If so, screw Apple, I'll buy from CompUSA next time and get the machine quicker.

U

Unregistered

Supply & shipping

I bet that there is a universal arrive date set. It may be the last day of the month. I have been talking to the Apple store in albany,ny and it sounds that way. I wouldn't be suprised if they havent shipped several already and they are just holding them in the back. I was also told that they will have plenty on hand at the Apple Store when there "shipped".........

I hate when Apple does this, just sell the damn things as fast as you can get them out. Strike while the iron is hot.

(An Apple shareholder)

U

Unregistered

Ordered mine yesterday from MacMall. Asked the guy if they would ship on release (gonna have it air-mailed and no sense if it would be weeks later). He said they expected to have them the same day as Apple released them on Jan.31st. Hopefully he wasn't feeding me a line and I'll get it on the 1st of Feb.

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Originally posted by Kid Red
Well, if they aren't supposed to ship until the end of the month, maybe Apple has a release date, like the 28th of Jan or something. I would be upset tho, if all these stores are getting their iMacs before my wife does. If so, screw Apple, I'll buy from CompUSA next time and get the machine quicker.
I thought about that release date idea, but honestly, I don't see it happening. Asking (commanding) a reseller not to put stock out for a day or 2 is really pushing it. A week is just not going to happen. You would be hearing all sorts of stories about leaked machines, just as Staples did with OS X.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Re: Supply & shipping

Originally posted by Unregistered
I bet that there is a universal arrive date set. It may be the last day of the month. I have been talking to the Apple store in albany,ny and it sounds that way. I wouldn't be suprised if they havent shipped several already and they are just holding them in the back. I was also told that they will have plenty on hand at the Apple Store when there "shipped".........

I hate when Apple does this, just sell the damn things as fast as you can get them out. Strike while the iron is hot.

(An Apple shareholder)
No proper Mac geek likes waiting one second longer than necessary.

But it is common practice on fad products (new imac counts) to have a set release date so rural dealers can have time to receive their shipments so everybody does not mail order from New York and San Francisco. This makes long term sense at the short term hardship of a week. Rural dealers need their measly 10% too.

Rocketman

spuncan

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2001
Detroit
f'in Compusa Hotline

K yesterday I call Compusa and get put through to the national hotline so some yutz says yeah we have the new iMac G4's every store has 'em. Drive a half an hour to Compusa get there and nothing I ask the rep and he says they wont get them for a week and a half. Apple ships them next week some time. But any ways I got to play with the new Apple laptops very nice I must say especially the bigger iBook. Had some more fun there but overall the trip was pointless. I hope Aplple releases the new towers and ships 'em in the next 2 weeks.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
dont ever ever ever ever ever trust the nat'l compusa hotline. inventory at compusa is total crap, believe me. if you dont get thru to someone IN the store you might as well forget about it.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by IndyGopher

I thought about that release date idea, but honestly, I don't see it happening. Asking (commanding) a reseller not to put stock out for a day or 2 is really pushing it. A week is just not going to happen. You would be hearing all sorts of stories about leaked machines, just as Staples did with OS X.
I'm saying that Apple should ship both online orders and reseller orders at the same time, if shipping the online orders first. What would be the fricking point of ordering from the Apple Store if CompUSA down the street get's them first? I think that's a bad idea if Apple wants to get more online orders.

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Originally posted by Kid Red

I'm saying that Apple should ship both online orders and reseller orders at the same time, if shipping the online orders first. What would be the fricking point of ordering from the Apple Store if CompUSA down the street get's them first? I think that's a bad idea if Apple wants to get more online orders.
I certainly agree, but I am pretty sure that what you and I think doesn't mean a whole lot. Frankly, if you order through the Apple Store, they already HAVE your money. You're a done deal. How many PC users are going to see the machine you ordered online? That's why those demo machines went to the Apple retail stores instead of filling orders. It's crummy, but it's business.

S

SleeplessiMacAnticipation

G4 iMacs in Sydney

I just called a local Mac store in Perth whom said that a truckload of iMacs have left Sydney and should be here by Monday!! Some Sydney stores will have them on their floors either tomorrow or Monday. Thankfully due to demand and population size, getting one straight away without pre-ordering may not even be a problem!

I can't believe how excited I feel about buying this machine. I can't remember the last time, or if I was ever filled with so much pent-up anticipation, about a bloody computer!!! Perhaps my Amiga or even C64? Nahhh! ;)

NOW what left is there to get sleepless about??!?! :D

U

Unregistered

Today is 1/31 .. my order status is still "being assambled" although i ordered direct with apple while steve was still presenting it on 1/7 how much faster can one order ??? anyways .. called applestore .. all they could tell me was that they have started shipping on monday 1/28 and that i would get mine very soon !! .. great ..

i am seriously thinking about cancelling .. and then get if from some online place .. saves me 170$ in taxes ..

P

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
the local Apple retailer here should have something tomorow...

I'm not sure about CompUSA.....

I keep saying this, but I waited nearly 2 months for my TiBook after MacWorld last January.....be patient.... ;)