New iMacs with SL - clean install of Lion or upgrade?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JS77, Jul 26, 2011.

  1. JS77 macrumors regular

    Jun 18, 2008
    To anyone who has ordered and received a new iMac which still has SL installed, have you simply upgraded to Lion over the top of SL, or did you do a clean install?

    Also, for those in the upto date Lion programme, are you also eligible for ilife'11 after a clean Lion install?

  2. johnmacward macrumors regular


    Jul 12, 2011
    I'd say whichever you pick will be absolutely fine. My "upgrade" from SL was absolutely fine and I was going, like you, from a very empty SL install.

    I did everything through the up to date program too and I don'[t think you'll have ANY issues with installing iLife '11. At the end of the day you have a valid copy of it on disc there so after Lion install just whack on iLife, it's fully compatible.
  3. whodareswins macrumors regular

    Jul 12, 2011
    I did mine on a clean install (wiped HD first). If its a new iMac you might aswell. Then you know it's starting off as best it can.
  4. BeginnerXP macrumors newbie

    Jul 26, 2011
    You might want to hold on upgrading to Lion until 10.7.1 first due to freeze issue when playing video, there're 18 pages of report in Apple support forums about this. It seems problem is only happens to iMac 2011 users running Lion (myself included)
  5. HBOC macrumors 68020

    Oct 14, 2008
    I wiped my HDD before re-installing SL and then Lion. I have a 2011 iMac. If you don't want all the iLife stuff it comes with, I would just reformat and then install both. Takes like an hour for everything..
  6. kjacks52 macrumors member

    Apr 30, 2007
    Which version of SL do you have on your install disc? I've got an original 10.6.0. Did they at some point update the discs to a later version? Right now I'm installing SL to a macbook, then I'm going to update it to the latest version of the os and try and clone that to the iMac.
  7. JS77 thread starter macrumors regular

    Jun 18, 2008
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Thanks for the advice guys, I decided to stick with SL as this is a work machine and SL is in great shape at the moment. Will probably just upgrade once 10.7.1 is out

Share This Page