New Intel mac startup sound

crenz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
Shanghai, China
wrldwzrd89 said:
I don't like it all that much because it isn't very smooth - the transitions between notes are very sharp.
Whoops sorry... that was an old version. I fixed it now!

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
MongoTheGeek said:
Just remember that the machine is a demo. Under the hood it even looks like one. Final machines may not have all the stuff that this one does.
I think you misunderstood something. This isn't the startup sound from the developer transition kit, but one that crenz made himself. I can't listen to it because I'm at work, but I'll try to remember when I'm home...

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
I think there's a definite possibility of a change. However, your sound is very complex. Apple's startup sounds have tended to be single chords with this past one (being used for many years) is very soothing. I think it would stay more toward that route.

Great work!

Promethe

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2005
Not bad, but you should do more smooth ending, actuall version ends too fast...

BTW. Where I can download actual Apple Startup Chime?

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Yeah, i'd like a chime change as well. Apple's been using this one for a while.

They should bring back the death chime!!!!

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Hmm, I don't think I want to hear this Intel jingle each time I start my Mac... Just my 2 cents.

crenz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
Shanghai, China
Promethe said:
Not bad, but you should do more smooth ending, actuall version ends too fast...
The last note is as long as the original chime (which can be found easily using Google, btw). Oh and Veldek, I definitely wouldn't want this on my Mac as well ;)

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
If you slowed it down a little and dropped the notes a little lower on the scale, I think I would go for it. Oh, and simplify it with just three notes perhaps:
duh(mid) duh(low) duuuuuuuuuh(high(er, but not high))

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Personally, Since there's now far more choices in which HW toys Apple can put on the board I'd love to see a THX/DTS 7.1 decoder built in. How about the symphonic THX chime? *Huge Evil Grin*

"The User Is Listening."

Considering Jobs has had previous dealings with Lucas it may even be possible that we could see a THXified version of the current chime with a deep 50Hz thrum underneath...

Damn how I'd love to have a mac that sounds as powerful at startup as it's being hyped on stage by Steve-o.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I don't like. Its too much....

mischief said:
Personally, Since there's now far more choices in which HW toys Apple can put on the board I'd love to see a THX/DTS 7.1 decoder built in. How about the symphonic THX chime? *Huge Evil Grin*
That i would like to see that, but it would suck if your on a PB or ibook

neildmitchell

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2005
good work, but I say "Nay"

I do think that Apple does need to change the startup sound.
I'm tired of hear the big & heavy BOONG! I vote for a lighter crisp utopian sound, or something totally different like a startup chime composed by Moby or Paul Okenfold

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
neildmitchell said:
...or something totally different like a startup chime composed by Moby or Paul Okenfold

That'd be very cool. I'd just keep restarting my Mac to hear it. I wonder how the Intel chips stand up to being turned on and off repeatedly?

crenz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
Shanghai, China
efoto said:
If you slowed it down a little and dropped the notes a little lower on the scale, I think I would go for it. Oh, and simplify it with just three notes perhaps:
duh(mid) duh(low) duuuuuuuuuh(high(er, but not high))
Oh, I didn't choose the notes; I used the intel jingle. I think people are misunderstanding my intention, I am not at all serious about this :p

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
Funny how fast things change. If you had posted this two weeks ago this thread would be full of angry comments. Now a few people actually like the idea. :rolleyes:

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
crenz said:
Oh, I didn't choose the notes; I used the intel jingle. I think people are misunderstanding my intention, I am not at all serious about this :p
Well consider me misunderstanding as I thought you were somewhat seroius about it. Its still a fun topic to discuss, but I actually did like your little composition. Although now that THX chimes have been mentioned, I think they win by just a little bit ;)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I'm with efoto in completely missing your intentions. I also failed to realize that you were trying to emulate the Intel jingle. With that in mind it all makes sense.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Hehehe. You guys really fell for this didn't you. Like he was ever serious. :)

My biggest worry is Intel Inside stickers.

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
maybe that's part of the deal, instead of an intel sticker they agreed to an intel chime? :eek:

how about a horror shriek? :eek: :D