New internal hard drive loads, but freezes up on the main screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mmm0020, Sep 7, 2010.

1. mmm0020 macrumors newbie

I bought a new internal hard drive for my late 2009 MBP and have completely cloned my existing hard drive to the new one. When I use the new hard drive through an enclosure I am able to boot from this hard drive perfectly, but when I install it into my MBP it won't read properly or something. It loads to my home screen with my dock, but when I try to click something, it just freezes up and I have to restart to the same thing every time.

Anyone have any ideas on how this can be fixed?

2. davidlv macrumors 65816

Could you post more info: new HD name & specs etc.?
    Are you sure the new internal drive is connected to the SATA cable correctly? Those cables are rather fragile, sure it isn't damaged?
    Not sure this will work, but try clearing the PRAM by rebooting with the R+P+Option+Command key held down, until you hear 2 or 3 chimes then release the keys and let the computer boot up.
    All of those freezes are not doing the system any good, can you boot from the OS X Install DVD and repair permissions and the HD with Disk Utility?
    Even do a reinstall? If you are running SL, the default is an overwrite install leaving your data and settings intact, have to do the endless updates though...
    If none of that works, you may have to do a clean install (repartition the new HD Careful here data Loss! is possible!) and restore from a Time Machine backup.
    I have done the HD swap twice, using CCC and it was OK, so I am not sure what is causing your problem.

3. mmm0020 thread starter macrumors newbie

The new HD is WD 1 TB 2.5'. I am pretty certain the HD is connected correctly, or else it wouldnt be able to load at all correct? The cables are not damaged because the original HD still works flawlessly when connected internally. I am able to do everything with Disk Utility and boot from DVD when the new HD is connected externally. It will start up when connected internally, but does not always fully perform the task. I've done a dozen installs, and erases and all the GUID formatting.

4. davidlv macrumors 65816

Did you try the PRAM reset?
    Were you able to boot up from the DVD and run Disk Utility repair permissions and repair HD on the new WD internal disk?
    Still, I have heard that the 2009 MBPs, with the latest EFI firmware 1.7 still have some issues with some HD drives, and there is a whole LONG thread on this, linked below. I had a horrible time trying to get a WD 500 GB Scorpio Blue to work in my MBP, gave up and installed a Seagate Momentus and later a Hitachi 7,200 rpm 500GB (both are very good, fast and quiet with little vibration). You may just be better off using the 1TB drive in the external case. Sorry, but I have run out of ideas to get it working internally.
    Link mentioned above: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=729883