new iOS maps, turn by turn or just replacing google maps?

Will Apple turn by turn this year?

• Yes

Votes: 48 70.6%
  • No

Votes: 20 29.4%

• Total voters

TwoBytes

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
I'm going to pre-empt all the forum moan posts should Apple release the new maps and and it just replaces the current mapping with apples.

Anyone think it will introduce turn by turn?

Google has has this for a couple of years http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SYoBHbt8NY

About time apple catch up rather than the usual 'this year maps, next year turn by turn, year after mms..or whatever we can draw out..' :rolleyes:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
They'll probably add turn by turn, but there will still be a ton of features that they'll draw out for another year. It's the Apple way, and it works.

Comment

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
They probably will have turn-by-turn, the reason they never did it with Google Maps was because Google didn't allow Apple to use their maps with turn-by-turn.

Comment

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
They probably will have turn-by-turn, the reason they never did it with Google Maps was because Google didn't allow Apple to use their maps with turn-by-turn.
I doubt that was the reason, what would Google gain from not allowing it on iOS? They profit on search. I read that it was that they couldn't come to an agreement (and Google didn't like Apple's terms).

I can see Apple adding their own turn-by-turn navigation app using the mapping technologies they've bought and then for a later OS combine it with Maps, dropping Google.

Comment

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2012
I certainly hope Apple introduces a native built in turn-by-turn feature. Having been on Android for a few years before coming to iPhone, it's the ONE are where an Android phone smokes an iPhone out of the box. The whole Google Maps app is just so much more feature rich on Android than on ios.

I have doubts about Apple offering turn-by-turn for free, though. Navigon, TomTom, etc, would take a HUGE hit on their App Store sales, and I'm sure they have some kind of special deal with Apple...but it may be better for Apple in the long run to offer it natively, and obviously they're going to do what's best for Apple, not what's best for TomTom...guess we'll see.

Comment

TwoBytes

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Navigon / tomtom are too small to deal with apple to tell them they can't make turn by turn.

I tell you what, googles street view turn by turn is amazing!

Comment

MistahMumford

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2011
SC
Coming from Android myself, the lack of turn-by-turn was a sore spot for me early on. Now though, I prefer Apples map iteration. Without turn-by-turn, I find myself learning how to get places better.

Comment

Djs621

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Coming from Android myself, the lack of turn-by-turn was a sore spot for me early on. Now though, I prefer Apples map iteration. Without turn-by-turn, I find myself learning how to get places better.
Yeah they're ya go! I just lost my legs so now I get to learn how to use a wheelchair #

Comment

TwoBytes

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Agree with djs. If you feel better using paper maps from gas stations, fine :)

Point is Apple need to up their game in this area of mapping.

Comment

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
You don't prefer it, you make do with it.

Nobody prefers maps to turn by turn satellite navigation.

Comment

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Assuming we are getting a new maps from Apple I honestly see no point in them dumping Google maps and still not giving us turn by turn. That would seem like a huge wast of money.

Turn by turn is something I have been asking for since the beginning, basically. There are apps out there that do this, but native functionality is always great.

Comment

NatefromRI

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2012
From what I understand, it will be turn by turn directions AND replacing Google Maps. Have you guys used WAZE for turn by turn directions? It's really very nice and the social network aspect of WAZE keeps it fresh.

--Nate

Comment

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
From what I understand, it will be turn by turn directions AND replacing Google Maps. Have you guys used WAZE for turn by turn directions? It's really very nice and the social network aspect of WAZE keeps it fresh.

--Nate
Waze is ok. Unfortunately it does strange things for me like recalculates the route randomly, veers you off direction for no apparent reason, etc. For those that use GPS often I wouldn't personally recommend it. For those that use it now and then, I would say it's fine. It's also free, which counts for something!

----------

False. Other way around, actually.

Google says its navigation will come to iPhone, if Apple approves (October 28, 2009)
I don't understand what really needs approving. If Google wanted to they could probably make another navigation app that runs much like waze currently does on iOS. Same deal applies for services like google music. There is a third party app that works great on iOS. Why Google hasn't stepped up to the plate is certainly confusing.

For the record I am not disagreeing with you, per se. For whatever reason Apple didn't allow built in google maps to do turn by turn. It seems to me Google could have remedied this with another version downloadable from the appstore.

Comment

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012

--Nate
I use the jailbreak tweak "navigate from maps" to simply look up the destination with the maps application, click "navigate here with waze", and I get turn-by-turn directions the rest of the way.

Comment

TwoBytes

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
There are web applets that do this so surely google can to get around the app store.. This way you could add this to
your home screen

Comment

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Not saying it won't happen because it probably will but Apple is very app centric. Need turn by turn download an app. Google on the other hand tries to build some of this stuff into the OS. Example, before Google released it their was an app to make folders, then it was added to the OS. There were apps to watch data usage, now its built into the OS. Apps to monitor CPU usage, again built in. Task killers, built into ICS. Etc etc etc....

Makes the OS more appealing but not many dev's compete against it so it limits your options some.

Anyway point is, all the GPS dev's some big names too like Tom Tom will be pretty irritated if apple one ups them with a native turn by turn app.

Comment

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Anyway point is, all the GPS dev's some big names too like Tom Tom will be pretty irritated if apple one ups them with a native turn by turn app.
If they stream map data then there's still a niche for apps like TomTom, Navigon, etc that use locally stored map data. Granted, they'll still probably take a hit.

Comment

TwoBytes

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Well that's it.. bye bye tom-tom, navigon, garmin...more companies bite the dust.

Siri and maps? I need gas. Real time rendering of 3d maps.. Beautiful:cool:

Comment

Jordan921

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Well that's it.. bye bye tom-tom, navigon, garmin...more companies bite the dust.

Siri and maps? I need gas. Real time rendering of 3d maps.. Beautiful:cool:
I'm glad Apple finally got around to doing this. From what I seen today looks like i'm gonna be using siri alot more to locate stuff and get turn by turn directions through new maps app.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.