new iOS maps, turn by turn or just replacing google maps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TwoBytes, Jun 8, 2012.

?

Will Apple turn by turn this year?

1. Yes

48 vote(s)
    70.6%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    29.4%
  1. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

I'm going to pre-empt all the forum moan posts should Apple release the new maps and and it just replaces the current mapping with apples.

Anyone think it will introduce turn by turn?

Google has has this for a couple of years http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SYoBHbt8NY

About time apple catch up rather than the usual 'this year maps, next year turn by turn, year after mms..or whatever we can draw out..' :rolleyes:

2. matttye macrumors 601

They'll probably add turn by turn, but there will still be a ton of features that they'll draw out for another year. It's the Apple way, and it works.

3. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

They probably will have turn-by-turn, the reason they never did it with Google Maps was because Google didn't allow Apple to use their maps with turn-by-turn.

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I doubt that was the reason, what would Google gain from not allowing it on iOS? They profit on search. I read that it was that they couldn't come to an agreement (and Google didn't like Apple's terms).

I can see Apple adding their own turn-by-turn navigation app using the mapping technologies they've bought and then for a later OS combine it with Maps, dropping Google.

5. Sunsean macrumors 6502

I certainly hope Apple introduces a native built in turn-by-turn feature. Having been on Android for a few years before coming to iPhone, it's the ONE are where an Android phone smokes an iPhone out of the box. The whole Google Maps app is just so much more feature rich on Android than on ios.

I have doubts about Apple offering turn-by-turn for free, though. Navigon, TomTom, etc, would take a HUGE hit on their App Store sales, and I'm sure they have some kind of special deal with Apple...but it may be better for Apple in the long run to offer it natively, and obviously they're going to do what's best for Apple, not what's best for TomTom...guess we'll see.

6. b24pgg macrumors 65816

7. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

It wasn't whether who gains what but a matter of an agreement made between Google and Apple.

8. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Navigon / tomtom are too small to deal with apple to tell them they can't make turn by turn.

I tell you what, googles street view turn by turn is amazing!

9. MistahMumford macrumors 6502

MistahMumford

Coming from Android myself, the lack of turn-by-turn was a sore spot for me early on. Now though, I prefer Apples map iteration. Without turn-by-turn, I find myself learning how to get places better.

10. Djs621 macrumors regular

Yeah they're ya go! I just lost my legs so now I get to learn how to use a wheelchair #

11. MistahMumford macrumors 6502

MistahMumford

12. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Agree with djs. If you feel better using paper maps from gas stations, fine :)

Point is Apple need to up their game in this area of mapping.

13. matttye macrumors 601

You don't prefer it, you make do with it.

Nobody prefers maps to turn by turn satellite navigation.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Assuming we are getting a new maps from Apple I honestly see no point in them dumping Google maps and still not giving us turn by turn. That would seem like a huge wast of money.

Turn by turn is something I have been asking for since the beginning, basically. There are apps out there that do this, but native functionality is always great.

15. NatefromRI macrumors newbie

From what I understand, it will be turn by turn directions AND replacing Google Maps. Have you guys used WAZE for turn by turn directions? It's really very nice and the social network aspect of WAZE keeps it fresh.

--Nate

16. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Waze is ok. Unfortunately it does strange things for me like recalculates the route randomly, veers you off direction for no apparent reason, etc. For those that use GPS often I wouldn't personally recommend it. For those that use it now and then, I would say it's fine. It's also free, which counts for something!

----------

I don't understand what really needs approving. If Google wanted to they could probably make another navigation app that runs much like waze currently does on iOS. Same deal applies for services like google music. There is a third party app that works great on iOS. Why Google hasn't stepped up to the plate is certainly confusing.

For the record I am not disagreeing with you, per se. For whatever reason Apple didn't allow built in google maps to do turn by turn. It seems to me Google could have remedied this with another version downloadable from the appstore.

17. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

I use the jailbreak tweak "navigate from maps" to simply look up the destination with the maps application, click "navigate here with waze", and I get turn-by-turn directions the rest of the way.

18. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

There are web applets that do this so surely google can to get around the app store.. This way you could add this to
    your home screen

19. cynics macrumors G3

Not saying it won't happen because it probably will but Apple is very app centric. Need turn by turn download an app. Google on the other hand tries to build some of this stuff into the OS. Example, before Google released it their was an app to make folders, then it was added to the OS. There were apps to watch data usage, now its built into the OS. Apps to monitor CPU usage, again built in. Task killers, built into ICS. Etc etc etc....

Makes the OS more appealing but not many dev's compete against it so it limits your options some.

Anyway point is, all the GPS dev's some big names too like Tom Tom will be pretty irritated if apple one ups them with a native turn by turn app.

20. takeshi74 macrumors 601

If they stream map data then there's still a niche for apps like TomTom, Navigon, etc that use locally stored map data. Granted, they'll still probably take a hit.

21. MistahMumford macrumors 6502

MistahMumford

22. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Well that's it.. bye bye tom-tom, navigon, garmin...more companies bite the dust.

Siri and maps? I need gas. Real time rendering of 3d maps.. Beautiful:cool:

23. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I'm glad Apple finally got around to doing this. From what I seen today looks like i'm gonna be using siri alot more to locate stuff and get turn by turn directions through new maps app.

24. cperchard macrumors 6502a