New iP4 on contract, contract not activated, someone tell me what to do!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by April Dancer, Aug 15, 2010.

1. April Dancer macrumors regular

April Dancer

I posted this before but got little response but now I need to take action!

Last month I got an iP4 on Vodafone contract through CPW and was porting over from o2. Nothing happened and, a month later I have a Vodafone subsidised iP4, no Vodafone contract and my old up and running o2 contract. I have checked the above with Voda and o2.

Now I've buggered up my sim card I need a new one. I have two choices.

a) Go back to CPW, tell them what's happened, give them a bollocking and demand that they sort my Vodafone contract so I can get on with it.

b) Go to o2 and ask for a new sim and carry on as normal. I haven't used the new phone as a phone yet due to no micro sim so I assume it'll take the o2 sim then lock to it?

Action has to be taken today as I have no working sim and need a phone but I change my mind every five minutes... :confused:

2. andy9l macrumors 68000

First mistake was walking into CPW!

I would suggest going to CPW, be very stern and don't let them turn you away with 'it will be sorted in a few days'. Force one of their storefront, under-qualified staff to get someone higher up to sort you out. Remember the name of the person who served you and anyone else you spoke to for future complaints.

Porting takes 3-5 working days (the Mrs. switched from Orange to Vodafone last month).

If you wanted to be on Vodafone - why settle for being on O2? Don't let companies push you, you're paying them for what you want. Are you sure you've handed your PAC code to Vodafone along with your details etc.? I believe you have to do this bit yourself, and it initiates the switch.

PS. Are you currently paying for two contracts? If so, you may be able to force some compensation from CPW for buggering this up so badly.

3. April Dancer thread starter macrumors regular

April Dancer

Thanks, well as with most things it's not straightforward. The o2 contract I have is an old unlimited data one which I would be very happy to keep but as that wasn't possible without paying the full £600 I didn't care whether it was Vodafone or o2 that I ended up with, if you see what I mean. So having a new phone on my old contract works very well for me.

CPW definitely had the PAC and all details but when I rang Vodafone they had never heard of me and o2 say my account is untouched. So not paying for two contracts, only my o2 one.

4. andy9l macrumors 68000

So you've got the phone (cheaply), and you're happy with your current contract?

So long as your new iPhone is not locked to Vodafone, you could take in your previous O2 sim-card and get a free micro-sim to replace it - then just use your iP4 on O2?

5. April Dancer thread starter macrumors regular

April Dancer

That was my instinct and I have just got a micro sim from o2 (CPW was closed, was going to go there and sort it) but it appears that the phone is locked to Vodafone...and I just updated to 4.02 yesterday so can't jailbreak. :rolleyes:

AARRGGHH!! What does it take to get this sodding phone working. And now because I have no phone, I can't even call CPW to get it working because we have no landline.

6. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

EDIT : NVM, just go to Vodafone and get a sim-only plan, there is no point of getting into a contract if you don't need too.

7. April Dancer thread starter macrumors regular

April Dancer

Thanks, that seems like the answer. I can port my number over from o2 to a sim only Vodafone plan. Then the phone will work ok and if they do catch up with me then it's easy to swap the number (which is v v important to me) from payg to contract within same network, right?

Seems simple.

8. andy9l macrumors 68000

Well, give it a week or so and another way will be found don't you worry.

Irony at it's best ;)

I would do as the poster above has suggested. I would personally avoid JB'ing an iPhone if you don't have any want/need to do it other than to use it normally. No point breaking your guarantee for nothing.

Go to Vodafone, ask what deals they have for 'SIM only' plans. Mention that you have an iPhone, but don't let them put you on anything 'iPhone specific'. It'll be a more expensive version of their regular plans. Just get the most amount of data you can from them, the rest is peanuts. You will need to mention that you want a micro-sim, but that should be free.

Edit: Keeping your number is much easier if you're not tied into contracts - try to avoid them in this uncertain period if it's important to you.

9. April Dancer thread starter macrumors regular

April Dancer

Thanks for this, it's really helpful. I've only ever been on contract so sim only is a complete mystery to me so excuse the idiot questions...

Basically any Vodafone sim can be used in my phone? So I can look around for the best package without it having to be iPhone specific?

10. Nintendolinky macrumors 6502

So how much did you end up paying for the iPhone on contract that you don't actually have. If you got it subsidised because you are supposed to be on a Vodafone contract shouldn't you try and get them to sort it out. Isn't is technically stealing otherwise.

11. April Dancer thread starter macrumors regular

April Dancer

Oh I have tried, and tried and tried and I keep being bounced back from one to the other hence the rising frustration. I've kept my part of the bargain and was ready and willing to pay the contract. I should be (and am) bloody angry with CPW but they don't seem to care.

But I do take your point, stealing isn't my thing and is the reason that I'll keep trying to get some sense out of CPW, even if they are twits. I just want to be able to use my damn phone!

12. andy9l macrumors 68000

Yes any plan will work on an iPhone - you just need a micro-sim card. Just have a look, but remember that data will always be your largest expense so try to get a deal on that over other things.

There is a lot of discussion about the lack of visual voicemail on non-specific iPhone tariffs/plans. I cannot confirm if this is true or not I'm afraid.

Just ask in-store, try to get an honest opinion from them - that's all I can suggest.