New iPad (4g) still being called iPad 2 3g in iTunes Account Devices??

rob25255

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
London
Hi...I am really stumped on this. I have 2 problems.

1. After restoring my new iPad (4g) from an iPad 2 3g the device is listed in iTunes as iPad 2 ( and then the name I called it ie my new iPad). Surely it should be called iPad 4g??

2. When I go into iCloud settings and into manage storage the icon/image of the device is just a white square. No picture of an iPad Black or White.

Can someone please shed some light on what is going on. I can't believe I need to set it up as a new device just because i'm going from an iPad 2 to iPad (4g).

Thanks as for the past 8 hours I have been trying to find answers and can't get any on any forums.

Rob

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
Hi...I am really stumped on this. I have 2 problems.

1. After restoring my new iPad (4g) from an iPad 2 3g the device is listed in iTunes as iPad 2 ( and then the name I called it ie my new iPad). Surely it should be called iPad 4g??

2. When I go into iCloud settings and into manage storage the icon/image of the device is just a white square. No picture of an iPad Black or White.

Can someone please shed some light on what is going on. I can't believe I need to set it up as a new device just because i'm going from an iPad 2 to iPad (4g).

Thanks as for the past 8 hours I have been trying to find answers and can't get any on any forums.

Rob
Just click on the iPad name under devices, when it's highlighted, and change the name. That's all there is to it. It's the same as your iPad 2 name because you restored it from your iPad 2.

rob25255

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
London
Thanks for the quick reply. I did change the name of the device i.e. to personalise it i.e. from robs iPad to rob's iPad 3 and that is listed in brackets after iPad 2 3g in iTunes Device Management. Is that because I have done a restore from an iPad 2 and therefore iTunes still regards it as an iPad 2 and not iPad 4g or "new iPad"!

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
I posted a similar thread like this yesterday. My iPad kept doing this. I actually thought apple sent me a iPad 2 instead of the 3rd for a second. Of course it wasn't since the iPad 2 doesn't have the voice dictation feature ane can tell a major difference with the screen.

Even restoring and setting up as new it said iPad 2.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I posted a similar thread like this yesterday. My iPad kept doing this. I actually thought apple sent me a iPad 2 instead of the 3rd for a second. Of course it wasn't since the iPad 2 doesn't have the voice dictation feature ane can tell a major difference with the screen.

Even restoring and setting up as new it said iPad 2.
It's probably just a glitch in the iTunes servers. Send apple support an email. They'll likely fix it if they know about it.

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
I probably will. It's really a not a problem, but it was bothering me for a few hours yesterday when setting up.