iPad New iPad air in hand: Best way to restore from old ipad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by caesarp, Nov 1, 2013.

1. caesarp macrumors 6502a

So I have both an icloud backup and a backup that I made manually in iTunes of my iPad 3rd gen. I have my new iPad air and plan on starting it up for the first time when I get home from work. Am I correct that the best way to restore from backup would be to plug the new air into my computer before even turning it on, and then restore from the one backed up on the computer?

Or will it be just as easy and fast to do it via iCloud?

Preferred method? And what is the exact process?

Thanks.

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I am where you are but about 20 minutes ahead.
    Takes longer: Set up as new.

Fresh iDevice. Fresh install.
    We could bicker that it doesn't matter but in (my) real world experience, it does.

3. Mr.C macrumors 601

I've never restored from an iCloud backup before. I've always restored from a backup of the model I'm upgrading from. I've owned every iPhone model so far and every iPad except for the iPad 4 and I've always restored from my latest iTunes backup. I've never had a problem doing it that way. Some people like to start from fresh but to me that's more hassle then its worth.

4. caesarp thread starter macrumors 6502a

My question isn't fresh vs. back-up.

Its best way to restore from back-up and the exact procedure.

I don't feel like going through all the settings again, etc. So I'm doing restore.

5. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

if i was going from iOS 5 or iOS 6 to the new iOS 7...i would only restore from iCloud. i would NOT restore from iTunes

seems many of the problems people have with iOS 7 comes from restoring from iTunes from a backup from an older OS

the only con with this, is the entire restore could take 2 hours vs 20 mins

6. caesarp thread starter macrumors 6502a

my ipad 3 is on ios 7.