new iPad and Culture of apple products

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Anti-Lucifer, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

Never in history have people cued up in line waiting for a tech gadget and all the while being so happy about it! I think only apple products offer this sort of "culture". Outside of this culture, many people think we are crazy paying for an iPad and being so excited.

I've always been a PC person all my life. When windows 95 was released, it was semi fun - but then again, it was windows and no one really cared back in the day. Never have I seen such extraordinary excitement for any tech gadget in history.

I just wanted to say this from a PC/Windows guy perspective. I love apple products now but back in the day, I was a typical spec whore. I only focused on faster, faster, faster hardware. I only knew that if I either reformatted my windows PC, it would be faster OR I got better CPU, it would be faster.

When i got my first macbook (i7 2.2ghz quad), I fell in love with OS X and specs is only part of the equation to the primary thing I was after all along in the PC world - that is the full user experience. The software for the MAC is just so much better (from iPhoto to even the Preview app) - I love everything about the apple mac.

I've also witness so many of my "fellow pc/android" friends belittle Apple - sure apple doesn't have the best hardware updated every 3-6 months, but what they have lasts a very long time: the user experience does not fade away with time. The problems I have with my android devices is that I must keep track of what I have on my phone because there may be some malware/spyware/annoying battery hogging app installed.

I am looking forward to my first iPhone and am awaiting its arrival this summer/fall! So in closing, I want to say there is absolutely nothing wrong with getting excited about anything you love - especially technological marvels like the iPad and I can see why there is so much excitement! I only wished there was this sort of culture for my fellow PC/android friends in the community. Unfortunately, half the time we like to compare what we have and really don't need to something that is near perfection (like an apple product).

2. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

Playstation 3
    [​IMG]

Playstation Vita
    [​IMG]

Nintendo Wii
    [​IMG]

Nintendo 3DS
    [​IMG]

Modern Warfare 3
    [​IMG]

Everything has its fans, we're just branded as the crazy ones because it's Apple

3. Talon Six macrumors member

4. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I think consoles are about the only other thing though. You only get a new one every 5+ years, and if you're a gaming fanatic, you WANT IT. You can't play the newest games without it and it's just simply not an option. I think it's the same mentality though. "This is the new one and I have to have it."

5. identity macrumors 6502

This. The ps3 line was crazy, same as the ps2. I tried to go when Best Buy was open because I didn't think it was going to be that busy but damn, I was wrong. A rude awakening for a teenager thinking he was going to be one of the first to get it. Black Friday is the same thing.

6. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

understandable, yes. But even some games like Gears of War, Halo and Call of Duty, some of which are a yearly affair still get massive queues.

7. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Again though--it's the gaming element. (Though it's been a long time since I've heard of a blockbuster title actually selling out.) If you're a gaming freak, you have to have the latest stuff. I was ripping my hair out this week because I forgot to pre-order Mass Effect 3 and didn't have time to go pick it up. I actually paid Amazon an extra few bucks for next day.

Gamers are very very very much like the Apple crowd, and I totally understand that because I'm the same way. I'll buy a new Windows release, but I won't line up for it. I'll buy the latest and greatest "other" non-Apple stuff, but I won't even bother with a pre-order. But then Apple releases something and I'm hitting F5 for 2 straight hours to make sure I'm in on the pre-order.

There is one difference though--gamers line up at 12 am on launch day because they're going to go home and start PLAYING the game the second they can. Apple fans line up and spam the pre-order pages because they're afraid Apple is going to run out of stuff. I learned my lesson the hard way with both the iPhone 4 AND the iPad 2. Waited about a month after launch to order and got the 4-6 week wait time for both. The 3rd gen iPad (I refuse to call it the new iPad) is the 6th Apple gadget I've purchased in my life and the wait times aren't getting any easier.