New Ipad baseband on iphone 3gs causes NO GPS signal

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by doc2142, Nov 30, 2010.

1. doc2142 macrumors member

For those of you who haven't gone to the new iPad baseband you may need to reconsider since going that route will cause your gps signal not to be found.

Most people think their gps is fine, thats because the used google maps to locate their self which isn't the right method. Either use your tomtom or navi apps or free once you will see that either the signal is very weak or there is no signal at all.

2. iLover1, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010

iLover1 macrumors member

i updated my baseband, but have not noticed any errors on GPS...oh wait I lived with out a GPS for the last 25 years ( my age )...i think i can manage :D

3. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

Update #5: Unlockers have been reporting mixed results about GPS functionality at 06.15.00. Until we can track down what differentiates those who retain GPS vs. those who lose it, be conservative and assume you’ll lose GPS at 06.15.00. As we work on finding the cause (and possibly a fix), please report your personal findings in our comments section. (Update: early indications are that while 06.15.00 is capable of GPS, it will require some further hacks. But please still be conservative and assume you will lose GPS at 06.15, in case the hacks don’t work).

From the Ultra-Recycle post at http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

4. CZK macrumors 6502a

This whole principle of putting an ipad's baseband on the iphone is wrong in my opinion. Voiding your warranty and now no gps and no way of coming back.

5. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Myzhi

I am still confuse why Dev Team went this route even if it was use existing exploit. To many issues going this route, bye bye warranty, can't restore to official firmware, and now, possible no GPS signal.

6. cramerica916 macrumors newbie

I got the same problem with my GPS. It will figure out your location with google maps after a couple tries. The blue dot even jumped around a few blocks before settling on my exact location. But if your on a train or in a car moving, forget about it! Will not work.

7. doc2142 thread starter macrumors member

Most 3gs out right now don't have warranty so it doesn't matter and the people that are looking for an unlock they will always need to have custom firmware and not the official one.

It is not a big deal, however I would like to get the gps working and we would be golden.

8. bodisat macrumors newbie

interesting

For me, it seems better to have a phone that you can use, rather than a glorified Ipod touch.
    My iphone is useless to me without a carrier unlock, at this point only achievable by upgrading to the ipad baseband. I have given up on ATT but I still chose to keep my iphone.
    As a note, the gps still works but it relies strictly on cell tower triangulation.

9. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

You may think it's wrong but no one is forcing you to use this hack. You use it at YOUR own risk.