New iPad - Impact film/photo industry

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TaKashMoney, Mar 8, 2012.

1. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

I think the people who are underplaying the new retina display havent quite grasped the amazing achievement it is.

It has more pixels than my High Res 15" Macbook Pro. There is only one computer in the entire Mac lineup that has more pixels, and that is the 27" iMac. This is unbelievable!

As a filmmaker (who dabbles in photography), I cant wait to see how the industry embraces this, especially as 4K and 8k technology becomes the norm. This must be a photographers dream. Their photos will look more clear on the iPad than any other device they own.

I am also curious to see how it performs as a secondary computer monitor. Current App solutions work over Wifi and create some lag from what I understand, but I cant wait to see how innovative developers could improve this experience.

Thoughts?

2. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Its amazing. The original iPad 2 was decent at holding images but my DSLR images were 'optimised' down to around 3MP. Now with the Retina, the display itself is 3MP and the images supported go up to 18MP or so.

Its not just the resolution, its the vastly improved IQ and saturation too.

I could justify buying a 64GB as a photo frame. It is that good. It will be a very long time before this technology for viewing photos is blown away like this again. We're talking a decade or more.

4K & 8k technology looks good on paper but only Apple seem to be the ones who add value and accessibilty for the mass market. Their software is what makes this magic come alive.

3. urkel macrumors 68030

The thing that restricted me most with using the iPad in my photography workflow wasn't the screen resolution but rather the speed, limited format support, the lack of onboard SD and the storage capacity.

With the new iPad then Speed might be resolved but storage capacity and certain format support may still be a limitation. But I guess we'll see in a few weeks how this all pans out because if I'd love to be able to go out with only my camera gear and an iPad.

4. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Yeah it's great for showing people your images .

For storage and processing workflow, it's the wrong tool.

Compared to a proper laptop or desktop, it's a toy. I shoot with a 1d Mark IV and I would never consider the iPad as an option. Getting images onto it is a pain and 64 gb is inadequate .

It's not even an option to be honest. Great for people who use the internal camera and toy around with images.

Video..... You must be a very very patient person. I run a 6 core extreme intel CPU in a PC and I want more speed.... iPad CPU encoding..... Lol.

5. MR1324 macrumors 6502

the new iphoto really impressed me. i think it will really bring photo editing to the masses because it is so easy to do. i consider myself pretty computer savvy, but never got into photo editing because of how complicated it all seemed to be. with the higher resolution display and the photo tools, the ipad 3 is going be a nifty machine for artists to play with.

6. TaKashMoney thread starter macrumors 6502

Obviously, I never meant that you could do serious video or photo editing on the iPad, but as a supplementary device, I think this new model has tremendous potential.

Already, I think it serves as a fantastic presentation device to clients, but I would love to see it function as an external monitor on film shoots, or an efficient wireless daily delivery method.

Imagine being able to use it as a second monitor on your computer (where it functioned as a high def playback device) then grabbing it to take to a film shoot where it serves as a wireless monitor, then playing back HD video of that day's shoot to your client. It could be incredibly versatile.