New iPad screen not bonded to the glass touchscreen like the 4/4S

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iphnhelp, Mar 15, 2012.

1. iphnhelp macrumors regular

According to Gruber, the iFixit Teardown reveals that the new iPad retina display is not bonded to the glass like the iPhone 4/4s. In my opinion this is half of what makes the iPhone retina so "magical" (along with the number of pixels) because being that close to your finger is like actually manipulating the interface.

So I'm a little disappointed that new iPad lacks this. I'll reserve full judgement until tomorrow. I'm sure it will still be great and a big improvement. I have been trying to find out the answer to this "bonded" question since the announcement and now that we know the answer it's a bit of a letdown.

Source: http://daringfireball.net/linked/2012/03/15/ipad-3-ifixit

2. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

TRUE!

It's magical that iPhone having bonded front plate to LCD, because when you have a cracked the glass plate, you are forced to also replace the whole LCD panel which actually could be not damaged, so either you or Apple have to pay much more than it should to just replace front glass plate. Wow!!

You can't do that on iPad, sad .. right? :rolleyes:

3. andylane macrumors newbie

Agreed - I think this is one of the things that makes the iPhone 4 screen look like paper. But, if Gruber couldn't tell, it must not be that big of a deal - he's had one to review for a week already (and posted his review).

4. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Jonny Ive should be ashamed. I was so looking forward to that what a disappointment.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I would imagine that a similar effect is achieved simply by using the thinner gorilla glass 2.

I do think that we'll see this on iPads eventually. It's probably an issue of scaling the process up to that size of screen at the sort of mass production quantities that Apple needs to produce.

6. iphnhelp thread starter macrumors regular

Come on, just because it's not easy/cheap to replace if it breaks doesn't mean they shouldn't do it. Apple is about user experience over everything else. Not repair experience.

But there could be a technical reason why they can't do this on a larger screen yet.

Either way, it may not make a difference once we see the screen.

7. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

Great I hope this doesn't mean dust will get trapped between the glass the lcd panel like it used to on the iPhone 3G shudder.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

So you've not had one in your hands and you're disappointed at how the screen looks? :confused:

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I'm sure it's not even noticeable if the reviewers haven't even pointed out the difference between it and the iPhone 4 screen.

10. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I had this issue with my original iPad (like 2 or 3 specks) but in a year's worth of use with iPad 2 (with no front screen protection) I haven't gotten a speck of dust underneath the screen.

Here's to hoping they fixed the issue back with iPad 2 and of course the new one. :)