New iPhone, 2 questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tyler23, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Hey everyone,

Just bought an iPhone 4S and have just a couple questions.

1) Can I turn the send text sound off? I want sound when receiving texts and calls, but not the sound every time I send a text.

2) Say I'm on my home wi-fi and I'm using the Facebook app. If I leave house, the phone switches to using 3G and I don't fully quit out of the app, will I still be using data? or do I need to fully quit (double tap home, press icon, and quit) if I don't want to use up my data?

Thanks a lot for your help

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Settings -> Sounds -> Text Tone -> "None"

You will need to fully quit out of the app, and also go into settings and make sure that push notifications are turned off. This way you will not use data.

Another way to completely avoid using cell data at all is to go into Settings -> Network and turn cellular data Off.

3. Shadowbech macrumors 68030

1. Apparently even if you turn off text tones, it still makes that noise when you send it. However you won't be able to hear the sound when you receive them. The only way to resolve this is to put your phone in vibrate/silent mode.

2.In a way yes and no. When you exit out of the app, they don't run in the background, they usually go to a frozen/suspended state and will not use your data. The only time it would use data is when you receive a notification that someone posted on your wall or your status. But it would be minimal. So you don't have to worry about force closing the app when not in use.

However, I would watch out for apps like pandora, iheartradio, navigation apps, as if you have them running and playing music they will continually run in the background when playing unless you stop the music.

4. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

Thanks for your response scaredpoet. Your answer about the data was very helpful.

However, for the first question, I'm not sure I described it as well as I should have. The "text tone" option you mentioned control the sound of a received text (at least on my phone). The sound there is currently set as Calypso, which is the sound I get when receiving a text. I would like to turn off the sound that occurs when I send a text. That sound I would describe as a "whoo00p" sort of sound..That's the one I'm trying to get rid of.

And thank you Shadowbech
    Much appreciated

5. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Speaking of push, how do I get mail to notify me the moment it appears in the Inbox?

Instead of only when I check email. There's like 2 options. Push and fetch. I don't think it's manual.

6. Shadowbech macrumors 68030

You would have to set your mail as a Push to receive automatically when you get e-mails. Not all mail have this feature, especially gmail. However you can set your gmail account on your Microsoft Exchange and set it to push. Fetch is more like when you want your mail connect to the server, so that's either hourly, every 30 minute, or every 15 minute, and of course manually.