New iPhone 4S - Different than my Oct 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nick16, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Nick16 macrumors regular

We added a new iPhone 4S to the family today and I've noticed some things that are different than my iPhone 4S which was purchased on release day (Oct. 14th?). Both came from AT&T.

First thing I noticed is that the weather app in the notification center looks fairly different. I checked the settings and they are identical (there really aren't any that change the way it displays anyways).

My October 4S:
    [​IMG]

Brand-new 4S (100% defaults):
    [​IMG]

Other than that, the only other thing I've noticed is that Siri sounds way more robotic on the brand new 4S than she does on my Oct. 4S. Again, settings are identical (English US on both), so I don't understand how there is any variation.

Info from within settings/about shows that my Oct 4S is model MC922LL and the new one is MC924LL. Both are 16GB though the Oct model is black and the brand new one is white.

I'm not sure why two 4S's are differing in things this "drastic".

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Swipe the weather in the notification, yours is on the weekly forecast screen, swipe back to get the other one and vice-versa!

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Swipe left/right on your weather widget.

Can't comment on Siri though. Could be reacting differently to a new user?

4. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

both are identical the model number only indicates its color

5. Nick16 thread starter macrumors regular

Ah that weather question was a rather simple fix. As for Siri, I guess I'll have to try it out some more to see if there really is a difference or if I'm hearing things. When I first heard her talk on the new 4S though, I really was taken aback as it sounded like a female version of Microsoft Sam (very, very robotic) whereas my 4S Siri talks with nice fluidity and less of a robotic dialect.

6. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I've noticed changes in the fluidity of the voice from when I got it to now, I can tell it's changed with use.

7. scaredpoet, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Earlier on, some threads popped up here and there asking if SIRI's voice had changed. It apparently improves with time.

8. SurferMan macrumors 65816

interesting.... I've seen others mention similar, weird. Not sure how that could occur though, isn't it programed with "X" voice period?

9. JeffreyDJ macrumors regular

On mine it depends on what she is saying. Some things sound more robotic than others.

10. Nick16 thread starter macrumors regular

I asked both phones the same question at the same time so I could literally compare her voice simultaneously and it's surely different. I guess it does improve with time, although that is odd. Exactly what factors does it adjust to, and what adjustments are made?

11. JeffreyDJ macrumors regular

I don't have another 4S to compare it to -- that is very interesting.

12. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

For SIRI to improve, it would also need to know what it got wrong.. but there's no way to do that. SIRI must be learning on a global basis, not on an individual basis.

13. Nick16 thread starter macrumors regular

Can't be a global basis, if at all, because then Siri on two phones wouldn't be varying the way it is.

14. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Would that be new phone (new speaker) sounds a little different than old phone (old speaker)? :rolleyes:

I think they use the same server so everything else should be the same.

15. lewys macrumors 6502

lewys

Aft tear updating from the new 5.0.1 from the old 5.0.1 Siri really does sound more robotic and doesn't pronounce people's names and words like it used to. Cant even say my girlfriends name right

16. mikehara macrumors newbie