New iPhone 4S Owner, looking for recommendations

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by emacna1, Jun 13, 2012.

1. emacna1 macrumors regular

I tried looking around for similar posts, but figured I'd just make one myself. I understand these probably pop up every day, but I hope you all will help me anyways.

First and foremost, what cases are you guys recommending nowadays? I was thinking about going with the Case-Mate Barely There.

Next, what are your top applications? I got my necessary ones (Twitter, Facebook, Alien Blue, and Wikipedia).

Any other tips you guys can give me would be much appreciated. I'm coming from the Android OS (24+ months there), so I'm looking forward to this new phone. I have a MacBook Pro so I figured this would go hand in hand with that.

Thanks!

2. cperchard macrumors 6502a

I just use an official bumper, as it keeps it thin and protects it very well....no scratches on front or back yet on my iPhone 4 since june 2010!

Apps wise, main ones i got other than your suggestions are ebay, netflix, iBooks

3. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Speck Candy Shell is really nice..My daughter just got one and before I saw it I thought I hated it. But it's actually a really nice case. Super protective and not really bulky. I might actually get one.
    incase slider is also nice. I've had a few of them.

As far as apps go, it's all up to what YOU like. There is something for everyone. I have Pantone color matching app that I think is awesome and I use it multiple times a day. But more then likely you have no need for it, so it makes no sense for me to reccommend it. Just spend some time going through the top apps in the app store and see what interests you.

4. nathdogg macrumors regular

I would recommend Tapatalk if you use forums a lot, including this one. Instagram for sharing and applying filters to photos (very twitter like) and camera+ for greater control over the stock camera app.

Also if you are interested in protecting the screen of your iPhone, I would highly recommend an SGP Steinheil screen protector. One of the best I have used so far.

5. romiebleed macrumors member

Hi Friend,

congrats on your new iphone 4s. I use Vapor Pro case (not the original one) It protects the phone on all the side.

On the other side, I can give you few tips for improving the battery, I have witnessed the change in my iphone. Let me know what you think

1. Switch off the Automatic Date Update - Set Automatically to "off"
    2. Turn off the location Services for as much applications as possible
    3. Turning of iclouds sync can give you a nice save, but it depends upon your usage (I personally Sync and backup my stuff through Itunes, So I have only enabled Find my Iphone), When I had iclouds on, my phone heats automatically while using 3g...
    4. Set Auto brightness ON and reduce the level to 20%

With Regards to Applications.

I have found one of a Best App, that tells you what apps are free for that day.. "appsfire deals" - I basically use that App to download most of my apps. You will find plenty of them for free...
    http://itunes.apple.com/za/app/appsfire-deals-free-daily/id418295945?mt=8

Download this app... this is a must have app :) It will take care of the rest :)

Thanks,
    Kamal

6. barryl85 macrumors regular

Yeah but i guarantee the stainless steel band is totally ruined !

7. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I use an element case vapor pro as well, excellent case. Definitely worth the money.

8. cperchard macrumors 6502a

A few smudges but not totally ruined....well worth the protection and i tried other cases and they made it look cheap and very thick. Bumper was best for me.