New iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Phil A., Dec 27, 2011.

1. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Earlier today, I was a very happy Samsung Galaxy S2 owner, but then my Wife came back from a shopping trip with a late Christmas present for me: She explained that she'd tried to get it before Christmas, but hadn't been able to. I opened it up to see a brand new unlocked iPhone 4S 64GB staring at me!

I was obviously delighted by such a generous Christmas Gift, but it has left me with a bit of a dilemma: The single main reason I was using Android is that I wanted to exercise some control over what my employer can do to my phone: They allow us to collect Email via Exchange ActiveSync on our own devices (the alternative is a crappy Blackberry), but enforce policies that allow them remote wipe privileges if you want to do so.

I wasn't comfortable with my employer having the ability to remotely wipe my entire phone and on Android I could install an app (such as touchdown) that enforced those policies at a local level (in other words, if they issued a remote wipe it would just wipe the corporate mail database).

So, my question is whether there is a similar app available for the iPhone or do I have to choose between allowing my employer to wipe my entire phone if they so wish, or simply not collecting my work email on my phone?

Apart from that, I do have to say the iPhone 4S is absolutely fantastic and incredibly fast, smooth and polished :)

2. blesio macrumors regular

There is no such program. But hey, just keep a fresh backup from time to time and you're safe even if your employer wipes your phone. I'd rather have a 64GB iPhone 4S that might be wiped then a SGS II the wouldn't ever get wiped anytime :))))
    For me the iPhone would be a keeper.

3. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Yeah, just use iCloud and let it backup automatically every 24 hours, then you've always got a restore ready.

4. blesio macrumors regular

Besides, the only time they will wipe your phone is when they fire you so you don't have to worry so much about it right?

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Sounds to me you need two phones.

If I owned the phone, I would not put up with my employer having the ability to erase my device.

If they provided me with a company phone, they can and will do as they wish.

6. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

This

Can't you have both?

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

What if you just kept backing up your iPhone under iTunes every night? Then you could just restore if they nuke your phone.

8. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

When my work exchange email is activated on my iPhone, it automatically sets the password on the lock screen. After a certain amount of failed tries, you can set it to erase the phone

9. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

This.:cool:

10. PaulyD macrumors 6502

How are people missing him having his own phone ruled by his employer?

Get your own seperate number.

11. SporkLover macrumors 6502

As much as I hate having two devices, I would do so in your case.

12. Phil A. thread starter Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thanks for the replies - I maybe didn't explain myself very clearly judging by some of the replies: I have a completely separate company phone but don't like carrying two devices around so was picking up company email on my SGS2, and forward calls from my company phone to my personal phone.
    I'm not particularly concerned that they'll wipe my phone deliberately, but rather by accident or if something goes wrong with the corporate mail system. Maybe it's time to start carrying two devices around: I'm certainly not giving up my new iPhone :)

13. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

If you're forwarding from another device that they think you are using then how can they wipe your SGS2?

Also, if you did start using the iPhone how would they have the ability to wipe everything rather than just the email account? I'm curious as to how they can do this unless they had access to your find my iPhone function.

14. Phil A. thread starter Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I'm forwarding voice calls, not e-mail (forwarding e-mails to a non-controlled device is a sackable offence!).

Remote Wipe is available through Microsoft Exchange server if the policy is enabled (which it is): It's not just Find My iPhone that can remote wipe.