New iPhone 5 but keeping old iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rfisher7381, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Rfisher7381 macrumors newbie

I plan to keep the old iPhone 4 around for music, wifi web browsing, etc.

Can I do an iTunes backup and then restore to my new iPhone 5 or will I end up causing problems (e.g, two iPhones with the same name). Thanks

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Works perfectly and flawlessly as you planned.
    It's what I do, with all my previous iPhones.

3. brayhite macrumors 6502a

I too plan on keeping my old iPhone 4, as a universal remote, streaming/controlling music for parties, alarm clock, etc.

A back up phone will be a nice purpose, as well heh.

4. lbhskier37 macrumors member

I'll be keeping mine probably until the end if the year. I'm going to Europe for work in December or January and want to use it unlocked with a prepaid sim instead of paying AT&Ts ludicrous international rates. Once I come back I'll likely sell it on Craig's list.

5. Rfisher7381 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

op i have yet to ever sell a device,still have my 3gs and my iPad 2. will most likely keep my iphone 4 use it like an ipod touch and give the 3gs away to a family member.

just back your 4 up right before you switch then set the new iphone to restore an old back up and done.

7. bollweevil macrumors 6502

I am keeping my iPhone 4S as a music player for my car, and also as a backup in case I lose or break the iPhone 5. However, my father called me a "pig" for keeping it, he thinks I should benevolently donate it to my sister, who has not even asked for it. Also, she has enough money to buy her own phone, if she cares.

Edit: My sister and I are both in our twenties and employed full time making decent money.

8. tcoche macrumors member

My wife is taking my ip4s. I am getting the ip5 and my 3 yr old will be using my wifes ip4 to play games only. We will control that so she doesnt destroy the ip4.