New iPhone 5 dead pixel! Argh! - UPDATED!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 2jzgze, Sep 21, 2012.

1. 2jzgze, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

2jzgze macrumors newbie

Phone is sweet, but this dead pixel is killing me!!! Anyone else have this problem? I'm taking it to apple tomorrow to see what they can do.

2. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

How did you check for it? I can't find anything that stretches from one end of the screen to the other.

3. 2jzgze thread starter macrumors newbie

Just open up a blank safari page and the white background will show you any dead pixels and use landscape as well as portrait view

4. pk7 macrumors 6502

Apple should give you a no-questions-asked replacement. 1 dead pixel on an iPhone is pretty much guaranteed replacement.

5. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

6. 2jzgze thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the update. I hope they have some more ip5 by the time I get there for my appointment!

7. niteriderxp macrumors member

I actually have a spec of dust in the side of the screen under the glass.
    Not really bad, but annoying now that I know its there.

Gonna keep that as a one year phone refresher.
    Wait till the warranty almost expires and replace it with a refurb phone. ;)

8. gladoscc macrumors 6502

yeah, I love doing that.. I was pretty disappointed with my iPhone 4 not having any problems.

9. Dennis187 macrumors regular

Dennis187

10. retrostate macrumors newbie

both me and my brother have around three dead pixels each. Appointment booked to try to get replacements

11. FierceDeityLink macrumors newbie

Found one while watching a YouTube video. I guess I'll try and get it replaced.

12. 2jzgze thread starter macrumors newbie

Success!

Went to the Apple store today (The Grove LA) to meet with a genius about the dead pixel issue that I was having. Thank God I had an appointment because it was like a zoo in there today! I also went in to purchase a new lightening
    cable, but then something interesting happened.

After the genius reviewed my phone they said that they would replace it immediately. This was where it got interesting.

The first new unit that they gave me had some noticeable scuff marks and scratches on it. The genius was shocked because it was a brand-new iPhone that he pulled out of the sealed box. He then apologized and proceeded to get another new black iPhone 5 from the back.

The next box that he brought out was also sealed and brand-new, but when he took it out there were scuff marks on the phone as well, although less than the prior iphone. Once again he profusely apoligized and actually seemed quite embarrassed. He was about to proceed to go get another box when I told him that I didn't want to wait for another activation with my carrier and I said that the scuff marks on this phone were acceptable. They were near the headphone jack and so small, I figured that it would get scuffed anyways.

At this point i asked about their lightening cables and they gave me a free lightning cable to make me feel better! The scuff mark is so small that I don't mind receiving a free lightning cable instead of them having to open up a fourth iPhone box, me waiting through activation again and having to pay an extra $19+tax for a new lightening cable.

Seems like Apple is gonna need to pull the leash a bit tighter at Foxconn ASAP!

So for all you people with a dead pixel on your iPhone screen, go change it out! Make an appointment with the genius bar and go about ten minutes before your appt time. i went about an hour early thinking that i may be able to be seen sooner, but they were so backed up. Anyways, they were so shocked there was a dead pixel on the screen that they switched it out immediately.

13. EBS macrumors newbie

I also have a dead pixel. Well, it looks like 3 total. One up near the time and what looks to be two right next to each other near the center of the display.

I was so thrilled that I had received what seemed to be a flawless white 16gb model. I was meticulously checking the aluminum band/chamfered edge and the edge where the back plate meets the glass (all perfect), but I failed to notice the dead pixels right away.

I'll be heading back to AT&T today to see what can be done. The worst part is I could actually deal with some scuffs/scratches since they are bound to happen anyway...dead pixels, not so much.

14. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

Damnit, why did you have to post this thread? I just checked my phone and I have two dead pixels, one being right near the center of the screen. I guess I'll be making the hour drive up to the Apple store soon.

15. 2jzgze thread starter macrumors newbie

Be sure to make an appt!

16. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I looked online and they didn't have any more for today, so now I have to wait until Wednesday.

17. KPOM macrumors G5

It's good to see you got it resolved so quickly! Too bad about the 2 phones with scuff marks. It does appear Apple has some QC issues at Foxconn to sort out. Just because there is a rush doesn't mean they should get sloppy.

18. MistaGavin macrumors member

MistaGavin

I think I have 1 dead pixel but I will wait until next year, then get a new replacement:D

19. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

By that point, they'll probably have plenty of extra screens on hand and will just replace your screen instead of the entire phone. According to iFixit, the screen only takes about 10 minutes tops to change. I bet a well-trained apple genius could do it in under 3.

20. MistaGavin macrumors member

MistaGavin

The thing is, I don't have an authorized service center for about 400 miles.

21. 2jzgze thread starter macrumors newbie

Understood, but I'd rather get a whole new phone than just a replaced screen. Try calling apple care and see if you could do a mail RMA. That way you can save a trip to the store.

----------

You are completely right! Apple needs to fix all the issues that they have with Foxconn immediately. It really feels that iOS six and the iPhone five were really rushed And only put out prematurely because of stockholders and other investors.

22. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Actually you will probably get a refurb, not new next year.... ;)

Do it now by phone and they may send out a new one...

23. niteriderxp macrumors member

Are you guys sure that your phones have dead pixels?
    It could be a speck of dust between the glass and the LCD.

The way you can tell is to shine a bright light at the screen when its turned off.
    If you can see that spot, its not a dead pixel, but dust.

This and the fact that phones are shipping damaged in box may indicate that Foxconn/Apple manufacturing quality is going down.

24. username008 macrumors regular

@2jzgze

Congrats! the units they were replacing your phone with, was it the original boxed packaging? or the slim white box with just the phone in it? :)

25. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

Mine has stuck pixels for sure. One is stuck on red and one is stuck on green.