New iPhone 5 order and delivery process

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sk1wbw, Sep 17, 2012.

1. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

So can someone in the know explain the whole process? If you preorder and set up a new account with a carrier, when exactly does that phone get programmed with your new number and how does that happen?

Did the carriers already have tons of stock beforehand and this is where the newly programmed phones come from or do they all come from the plant in China? Where do they get programmed?

I'm just curious is all.

2. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I opened a new line on my mobile share. I already have a phone number assigned. I assume AT&T and apple coordinate the IMEI and cccd numbers to your account.

The phones are then ready to use when you open the box, unlike in the past where you had to sync through a cable, computer/Internet, and iTunes. You actually activate over the cellular network now.

3. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

What he said. Apple and the carriers coordinate to add the IMEI/MEID/ICCIDs to their system and to your account. Activation is done once you receive the phone.

4. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I am glad you don't have to Activate through the computer now. That was such an inconvenience in the past. My 3G had some issue and reset itself to "Sync with iTunes" right as I got to work one day. Not a fun day.

5. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Ya. When the 3G was released and iTunes crashed, it took some people all day and then some to finally be able to use their phones.