New iPhone 5 shipments, issues fixed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndyPhamVN, Apr 22, 2013.

1. AndyPhamVN macrumors newbie

Has Apple resolved some issues such as scuffgate with new iPhone 5 shipments? What problems does iPhone 5 still have? I'm planning to get one soon, as I'm not interested in 5S.

P/S: Anyone switched from note 2/s3 to iphone 5?

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

anodized aluminum is bound to scratch. when you buy the phone, inspect it before you purchase in front of the apple employee.

3. Sean76 macrumors 6502a

Sean76

Get ready for a headache....I'd 100% wait for the 5S which hopefully utilizes a different build technique along with better materials.

Both the Black and White models are still shipping with a variety of build issues ranging from...

Scuffs, scratches, dings, etc on the chamfered edges or sides.

Scuffs and scratches on the rear plate.

Sunken in power button.

Visible hairline scratches on screen.

Noticeable warm or yellow screen temperature.

These issues are still very much still existing on both the white and black models some 6 months after the launch. I went through about half a dozen black iPhone 5's at Apple when they launched, then went through 3 Whites when I said forget it with the black. So a total of 8 phones just to find one that had no real visible signs of build issues out of the box.

Now 6 months later I just went through 4 white models with Tmobile in order to find one that didn't have noticeable issues out of the box.

And even more proof is that my brother just recently used an upgrade for the iphone 5 on at&t and he also went through 2 phones at Apple to nab one that wasn't dinged or scratched up. His first one had a crack in the camera lens out of the box and the second had a ding by the power button and multiple scratches by the volume buttons. His third one which he has now even had a small scratch on the rear near the Apple logo but he said he really didn't feel like trying another and just popped a case on.

Point is why is this still happening some 6 months later?

4. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

I agree with Sean76, wait for the 5s. I have never had very many issues with iPhones but I’ve had 5 iphone 5s so far. The first 2 were scratched out of the box. I finally found one (3rd) that was in perfect condition and thought I was done but a month later the screen started dying. It would just go black while I was using it. Went back and got another one and it was scratched and the 5th and final one was in good condition. Since then I haven't had any problems with the 5 any maybe it was bad luck but I've never had to do warranty exchanges like that before. I would wait for the new iPhone at this point because in a few months the 5 will go down in price so it’s a win/win weather you get the 5S or 5. Hopefully the 5S will not have the same issues with quality control because that’s one of the reasons I buy Apple products.

5. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

I bought the Tmobile iphone 5 on the 12th and one difference I see (Besides the anodize being perfect) is the sim slot. I noticed on the AT&T models it appeared more "Dark" than the rest of the phone. On my T-mobile version, it is the same color as the rest of the phone. All in all.....my build is free of all problems (knock on wood);)

6. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

If you get one go for the white since they dont have any scuffs

7. maxosx macrumors 68020

The newer batch of iPhone 5's are being delivered in decent shape.

I'm not a "switcher" yet I do use and enjoy both iOS and Android concurrently

I could not be happier than I am with my Note II.

I bought it the day they were released and it's been a very fast and fun smartphone. Trouble free, it does everything I ask of it and more.

My iPhone 5 just doesn't measure up for my needs. I use it because I'm a big Apple supporter and it has it's place, but it's secondary to my Androids now.

I am very eager to be able to say that about a future iPhone. I only hope it doesn't take years for Apple to catch up.

8. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

I'm about to go and get number 4 on Thursday due to issues with every white one I've had (and that's without the 2 black ones I went through on launch too).

My gf's upgrade arrived today though but she hasn't opened it yet to check.

9. AndyPhamVN thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks everyone. Besides scuffgate, are there any other hardware issues?

10. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

check the camera lens for dust. mine had a little speck, which apple cleaned for me. others here post pics of noticeable dust in the camera apps view finder that may not be visible from the outside.

11. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

I've got 2 perfect ones. I'd say go ahead and buy. Remember macrumors is only a small sample of apple users and what may seem like an issue here might not be that widespread of an issue.

Plus we have a lot of OCD members that tend to skew results sometimes.

12. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

Are you serious that they cleaned it for you? damn it.. i told the genius that I'd rather have it fixed than replaced, but he insisted on replacing mine, and my 'new' phone has been having more issues........

13. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

I've now noticed another dead pixel on mine, taking the count up to 3. My appointment is today. Girlfriends upgrade was pretty much flawless bar some odd glue blobs so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that number 4 is finally my final phone cos this is getting ridiculous

14. bjcskier macrumors member

Getting better, but STILL being delivered with imperfections. Apple should be embarrassed they can't get it right.

15. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

Wrong. White ones come with scuffs also.

16. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

Out of the three i purchased and two i replaced (due to not supporting AWS) none of them had any scuffs. Sounds like you were just unlucky.

17. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

Yes none of the phones you purchased had scuffs. But you shouldn't say that the white ones don't come with scuffs.

18. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Picked up iPhone number 4 today - screen is fine but there are at least 4 nicks in the bezel and a tooling inconsistency on the back. I give up trying to find the perfect one now, it seems they do not exist.

19. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I got a replacement today in London. White 16gb. Flawless. Built in April.

20. kaielement macrumors 65816

Another issue blown way out of the water. Have had my iPhone 5 since January and no issues except for a few scuffs on the metal band aound the side of the phone I got when I dropped my phone on the middle of the street while crossing it. 100% my fault should have had a case on it. I now do have a case and no issues.