New iPhone 5s Network locked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by m11rphy, Sep 29, 2013.

1. m11rphy macrumors 6502

Hi All,

I have just got an iphone 5s from EE that I need to use on 02. EE are refusing to unlock it, is there any other way to get the phone unlocked ?

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I expect that you'll have to wait. Haven't seen any announcements that a 5s has been unlocked yet.

You should probably return the phone and buy a factory unlocked phone from Apple. Personally, I've bought unlocked phones since Apple made them available. Far preferable to playing cat and mouse in my opinion but you may have your reasons.

3. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Read the forum posts. There is only one way to go: buy an iPhone 5s from Apple Store, off-contract, preferably the Verizon 5s, which will have all the radios operational (CDMA plus GSM). I assure you, the 5s from Apple will be unlocked, just bought another "Verizon" phone today that is being used on T-Mobile after SIM swap.

What is EE. Ebay?

4. drewfus macrumors 6502

drewfus

I think EE is a European phone service provider, as is O2.

5. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

If you buy a phone from a provider, it will be locked to that provider.

The fact your phone came from EE is most unfortunate. They will unlock it but only the owner can unlock it. If you bought it on ebay you are crap out of luck friend.

EE charge about £30 and will take 6 weeks to unlock. They draw it out for the full 28 working days. I have never seen them unlock it quicker.

The best locked phone to buy is Three. They unlock in 24 hours for £15.

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

7. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

I am so sick of seeing people get screwed by these carrier lockouts. Needs to be outlawed in every single country across the globe. It serves no purpose, other than to extract money from customers.

8. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

I agree. Not sure why they lock them given that you buy from them and you are locked into a 2 year deal. so what if you unlock it and put in another sim, your still paying them each month. Makes going abroard and using a cheap local sim impossible. Hence why I buy sim free from apple.