New iPhone 5s, Rattling?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by asdad123, Sep 25, 2013.

1. asdad123 macrumors regular

Hey guys, just got my gold iphone 5s from UPS.

Everything looks good, except there's an annoying rattling sound coming from near the camera. I can hear it just shaking the phone lightly.

Is anyone else's like this?

2. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Normal. Stop thinking about or it will consume you, trust me. ;)

3. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

mine and a bunch of others rattle a little bit also.

4. asdad123 thread starter macrumors regular

My 5 didnt do that :/

it really sounds like something is loose inside the phone. Even moving the phone a couple centimeters makes it rattle. Its extremely annoying, especially while walking and talking on the phone, I just get a constant rattling in my ear.

5. MR1324 macrumors 6502

it's the on/off button on the top of the phone. put it in a case and it will go away - steve jobs from heaven

6. Knockoutjosie macrumors 6502

Knockoutjosie

It's the camera. Mine does that too. Nothing to worry about :)

7. 8pril macrumors member

I went to the Apple store tonight to exchange mine for a tighter button. I checked the floor models and all had varying levels of play. There was a gold one that was really tight.

I could still hear the rattle in a case so I took it in tonight. I had to take my 4S back when I first got it for a rattling button.

If it bothers you then take it in. The Genius opened two white boxes for me and one had less play so I chose that one. He then pulled a broken seal but new 64 GB with no play in the button. He suggested opening one more and that one had a worse rattle than the one I was exchanging.

8. joeybuckets macrumors regular

joeybuckets

9. gcrr macrumors regular

10. EricJD macrumors regular

The rattling you're hearing is probably the camera lens, which is actually free floating (helps with stabilization).

11. jumpman25 macrumors regular

Yep, my new 5s as well as both the iPhone 5 models we have in our household do the same thing so I wouldn't worry about it.

12. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

My 5 is doing the same keep calm and use your phone :D

13. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

My iPhone 4/4S/5 and 5S all have done it and still do it.

14. Gincoma macrumors 6502

My girl friends iPhone 4s did that my iPhone 5 did that and now my iPhone 5s does it slightly, hell even my Droid Razr Maxx HD did the same. I wouldnt worry about it. It bothered me at first and thought my phone is "loose" but most camera phones do have a slight rattle near camera its totally normal

15. Imory macrumors 6502a

It's the lens. You have nothing to worry about. Every iPhone since the 4S has it.

16. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Just a little search would have avoided this.

17. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

I think this is one of the few reasonable concerns I've seen posted on here. It would worry me too because something like this often points to a manufacturing defect such as a loose part, or something unintended that found it's way inside the internals during the manufacturing process.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple correct this silently in manufacturing. I'm sure they get plenty of support calls about it.

18. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Steve Jobs supported using the phone with no case (to enjoy the design).

I just bought a 5S two days ago. I brought it back the very next morning because I noticed after putting it down for the first time that it rattled. Didn't take me more than 20 minutes to realize it. Replacement also had the rattle. Making my 2nd replacement Wednesday, then just gonna deal with it. Apple's Quality Control blows - just make the button fit. It's not about metal on metal, because all my friend's 4S' and 5's do not rattle.

19. gCloud macrumors 6502a

Rattle from the camera lens is normal.
    Rattle from the sleep button is not. It is very wide spread. Live with it or get rid of it.

Too many threads going on about this a the mo

20. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Indeed. It may seem egregious, but I think problems like this should be well publicized - so I support the threads