New iPhone 7 has died out of the blue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Andrew83Ga, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Andrew83Ga macrumors regular

My iPhone 7 has suddenly stopped working, and I have no clue what could be the cause. It never get submerged in water, and even though its water resistant, I have avoided even getting it wet (I wasn't so cautious with my first iPhone 7...). I did leave in my my car for a couple of hours, but in the shade and the phone wasn't hot to the touch and I never received an overheating warning. It worked as normal after that for an hour or so and then....nothing.

Home button unresponsive, black screen, power button does nothing, holding down power button and volume down button for 10-15 seconds does nothing, Trying to put it into that DFU mode or whatever does nothing. It has battery charge. I remember it being 60% shortly before it bricked. Oh, and it was HOT. It cooled down after an hour or so, and tried all of the above again but to no effect. I charged overnight just in case that did something, but still nothing.

I imagine it's dead for some reason, and I need a new one from Verizon. But if anyone else has any ideas, that would be great!

2. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

Go and replace it. It's a defective unit.

3. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

It appears you did everything you possibly could have to revive it. I would contact Verizon or Apple and seek a replacement iPhone.

4. Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

DFU is different on iPhone 7...
    Are you SURE you did it correctly?
    It’s the volume down button; not the home button- along with the power button... while it’s plugged into power, or (preferably) plugged into a computer with iTunes open- for about 20-30 seconds.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Sounds like hardware, likely a short or defective battery when you say is got really hot.

I would not try to restore or fix, just take it to,the Apple Store and get it replaced.

Sometimes things happen.

6. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

I would swap it out as it appears it is defective. I see the Ga at the end of your handle. If that means you live in Georgia like I do then there are several apple stores all over metro Atlanta. They seem to be very responsive to things like this based on my own experience. You could also take it back to your carrier. Customer support is one of the main reasons I like Apple.