New iPhone after replacement warranty problem?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GreenApple29, Sep 3, 2012.

1. GreenApple29 macrumors regular

GreenApple29

Well even though i know how the situation goes with apple and warranty i wanted to share this with you
    a couple of days back i had some issues with my iphone 4S and had to go to an authorized retailer so i can get it fixed.
    2 days after they called me and said to go there and get a new one because they found that the first phone has some issues with the logic board
    Now im with my new phone
    but
    since this is a new device how come the warranty is not extent ed?
    Had to call the apple support center so as to ask because the warranty status online said" the phone needs to be activated"which was laready active!!
    the one guy said that the warranty has been extended for anotehr year and a day after another person at the call center said no that my warranty stays the same and that the policy of apple states that warranty goes with the original purchase of the device
    to be honest i find this quite ridiculous
    Since is a new device with new serial number and generally a new device how come teh warranty stays the same?this doesnt happen to any other electronic product....
    so quite angry about this
    the only thing that happened is that they said that they will give me a 50 british pouynds gift card to use at the apple store!!!!

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

You only get a 1 year warranty(or 2 if you buy AC+) if you buy a new phone. Replacements don't come with a new 1-2 year warranty. If it was an out of warranty replacement, you would get a 90 day warranty.

3. GreenApple29 thread starter macrumors regular

GreenApple29

yes onbiously i get that
    but ill repeat what i said earlier
    if you have a similar issue with a tv or some other electronic device
    the replacement device has a new warranty...
    anyway obviously i cant do anything about that
    ill sell it and wait for the new one:)

4. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Most iPhones supplied to replace faulty units are mint refurbished. If an Owner has chosen not to buy Apple care and stick with the 1 yr warranty why should they add another 12 month warranty onto a replacement.

They could instead insist on repairing the idevices.

Their offer to replace handsets out of warranty for a token payment impresses too. Many companies only try to repair faulty items unlike Apple who replace most times without question.

5. GreenApple29 thread starter macrumors regular

GreenApple29

as i said i was in warranty period and still am
    maybe im too demanding
    just had a similar incident but with some otehr electronic device and when replaced..teh warranty started from that day forward..thats all

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

you could use that 50 pound gift card towards some Apple care but I'm sure you don't want to do that. No most company's will not give you a 100% warranty if they replace your device, the way most company's do it is they replace your device and either give a short warranty 30-90 days depending or the remainder of your warranty period. find me a company that doesn't do that.

7. GreenApple29 thread starter macrumors regular

GreenApple29

the specific incident that i mentioned earlier was with a dell monitor that had an issue and had it replaced
    they replaced it and the warranty renewed ....
    to be honest it doesnt really matter
    hopefully ill get it sold and wait for teh new one:))

8. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

This is what apple does. You get 90 days or the remainder of your warrenty . Whichever is longer.

9. GreenApple29 thread starter macrumors regular

GreenApple29

that was a great idea till i mentioned it to the apple advisor that i tried to resolve this issue the response?

"Unfortunately Apple Care Protection Plans and iTunes vouchers are the two things we cannot offer as appeasements.
    Anything else from the UK online store however we can easily arrange."

so dead end on that one!

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

yes I know my point is it's at the very least the norm. many company's won't do that. I don't know any company's that warranty better then Apple myself. :D

there is always a way Apple cards as good as cash I bet somebody would but it for close to value cash.

11. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Funny GreenApple.....

1. My old Dell monitor was replaced with a refurbished unit, and the warranty was what I had left on my original warranty, not a new warranty.

2. Two year old Samsung LCD 46 inch TV, got it replaced with another one, and the warranty contract was the original, not a new warranty.

----------

Funny GreenApple.....

1. My old Dell monitor was replaced with a refurbished unit, and the warranty was what I had left on my original warranty, not a new warranty.

2. Two year old Samsung LCD 46 inch TV, got it replaced with another one, and the warranty contract was the original, not a new warranty. With the Samsung from Sears, I was asked if I wanted to pay for a few additional years at a cost, not free

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What TV and manufacturer was that?
    You're not too demanding, just unreasonable.
    So every time you get a replacement from the manufacturer your warranty starts all over again? That doesnt make any sense. If that was the case I'd get my iphone replaced at 11 months each time and be on warranty forever.
    Every company covers you a year or set amount of time from the original purchase date. Not from the replacement purchase day.

13. GreenApple29 thread starter macrumors regular

GreenApple29

Applejuiced you are right in a way yes
    as for the TV the TV was a samsung and i think it was a monitor actually
    the main reason of teh post was to say that the first person on the apple support said to me that my warranty was 1 year after the iphone was replaced..i knew that the warranty continues from the day you purchased teh original device but was very suprised till i called again..
    the reason that i called again was because i enteered the serial number on apple s website to check the warranty and i got a message saying "you need to actuavet your phone"!which i had and was making calles and receiving as well..
    then i realised that the guy that said about anothe year of warranty had no clue what he was talking about
    thank god it was all noted cos i could be seen as a weirdo on the apple support!ol

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Yes, whoever told you that you will get another full year warranty on the replacement was pretty much clueless.

15. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

I was agreeing with you. Or am I not allowed to?

16. AFDoc macrumors 68030

So basically you're saying each time you get a warranty replacement it should start a new 1 year warranty? You would never have to buy a new iphone again if that's the case. Do you see how silly your thinking is?

17. GreenApple29 thread starter macrumors regular

GreenApple29

first of all didnt like the term silly
    since i clearly stated that i knew what the policy of apple was in the first place
    i was confused due to a chat i had with an apple advisor on teh phone when he said i was under another year of warranty
    thats all

----------

just to clarify this...once again
    im not new to apple and i know how it works as concerns warrant issues with mobile or desktop devices
    i just mentioned my incident with an apple advisor who basically didnt know what the hell is going on and mixed it up
    i have read some of the biggest companies in electronics and their warranty policies and they explain exactly what apple has done in my case

Obviously after ten months iom ot loooking for a new phone with a new warranty!

18. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

From Apple UK Legal:

"Apple may request that you replace certain user-installable parts or products. A replacement part or product, including a user-installable part that has been installed in accordance with instructions provided by Apple, assumes the remaining warranty of the Apple Product or ninety (90) days from the date of replacement or repair, whichever provides longer coverage for you. When a product or part is replaced or a refund provided, any replacement item becomes your property and the replaced or refunded item becomes Apple's property."

You're not entitled to anything.

19. GreenApple29 thread starter macrumors regular

GreenApple29

i know im entitled a replacement which i have now
    and yes if you read earlier i know the policy was just a misunderstanding with apple advisor on the phone