New iPhone Announcement Monday Inevitable?

newyorksole

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
So it's been confirmed that they're demoing iOS 6 on Monday. Isn't it gonna set developers back by testing out iOS 6 for months (assuming it releases in September/October) and THEN having to test/rewrite for the larger screen of the new iPhone?

I mean I don't think they'll announce the iPhone Monday because it would be a LOT of product info, but what do you think?

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
I'm also curious as to how they will handle this situation.

Comment

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
You make it sound as though the iPhone 4 was unveiled at the same time as iOS 4 due to the retina display. The developers working closely with Apple knew somewhat in advance, but the majority found out months later when the world did. Their apps continued to work just fine, but, if they chose to, they could then update them themselves after the announcement.

This will be no different. Current apps will probably be stretched to fill the space or (more likely) they'll be letter/ pillar boxed while developers update their apps.

Comment

newyorksole

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
You make it sound as though the iPhone 4 was unveiled at the same time as iOS 4 due to the retina display. The developers working closely with Apple knew somewhat in advance, but the majority found out months later when the world did. Their apps continued to work just fine, but, if they chose to, they could then update them themselves after the announcement.

This will be no different. Current apps will probably be stretched to fill the space or (more likely) they'll be letter/ pillar boxed while developers update their apps.
yeah you're right. banking on a release earlier than October though.

Comment

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
I would expect native Apple apps and maybe some of the chosen "bigger" developers in the market to take advantage of the increased dimensions of the screen, but most of the developers will need to start making their changes once the actual iPhone 5 event happens.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.