New iPhone Announcement Monday Inevitable?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by newyorksole, Jun 8, 2012.

1. newyorksole macrumors 68030

So it's been confirmed that they're demoing iOS 6 on Monday. Isn't it gonna set developers back by testing out iOS 6 for months (assuming it releases in September/October) and THEN having to test/rewrite for the larger screen of the new iPhone?

I mean I don't think they'll announce the iPhone Monday because it would be a LOT of product info, but what do you think?

2. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I'm also curious as to how they will handle this situation.

3. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

No. You can add new artwork without a complete rewrite for most apps.

4. newyorksole thread starter macrumors 68030

Ok so this is less dramatic than let's say, when the iPhone 4 launched with Retina Display? The level of rewriting won't be as severe?

5. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

You make it sound as though the iPhone 4 was unveiled at the same time as iOS 4 due to the retina display. The developers working closely with Apple knew somewhat in advance, but the majority found out months later when the world did. Their apps continued to work just fine, but, if they chose to, they could then update them themselves after the announcement.

This will be no different. Current apps will probably be stretched to fill the space or (more likely) they'll be letter/ pillar boxed while developers update their apps.

6. newyorksole thread starter macrumors 68030

yeah you're right. banking on a release earlier than October though.

7. burnside macrumors 6502

I would expect native Apple apps and maybe some of the chosen "bigger" developers in the market to take advantage of the increased dimensions of the screen, but most of the developers will need to start making their changes once the actual iPhone 5 event happens.