New iPhone concepts and possible features

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mbell1975, Mar 31, 2012.

1. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

2. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I really like 2, 11, 16, and 17. #16 is super thin. Can't imagine Apple going that direction. I do like #2. It has a retro look to it, even though, it mimics a mouse design.

3. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

4. mbell1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Let me guess, you love the current brick design from 2007?

5. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Right... because the current design and that of the original iPhone are so similar.

Of course, I'd rather they stick with the current design before using the majority of the concepts shown.

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I like to keep an open mind.

I dont dislike any of the featured concepts in the link.

7. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Only one close to being ok is 6. The rest would cause me to NOT buy the new iPhone.
    As far as OP calling the 4/4s a "brick" you must not know what a brick is. IMHO the 4/4s design is the best design on the market. Glass and stainless is > glass and plastic.

8. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

What shockingly bad designs... pic 11 was the only decent one.

9. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Aesthetically speaking I agree. It's a beauty. But in terms of form and function, the iPhone is incredibly uncomfortable to hold or type on for a long period of time. the ergonomics are flat out terrible--pun intended.

10. mbell1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep. It's heavy, it's shaped odd and it feels weird in hand compared to many other phones. People who like the design and feel of the current iPhone probably haven't held something sleek like the Nexus S or the Galaxy S2? I'd gladly welcome a new design that's sure to be coming.

11. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Former NS owner. That thing was perfect to hold. Not many did, but I for one loved the back "lip" at the bottom too. Gave you a great way to grasp the phone and to pull it out of pocket.

12. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

No...I like good designs. That look good. That aren't ugly. Get it?

Not a single one of those would ever even cross the mind of Jonathan Ive.

13. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

a lot of these designs had sharp corners which I would hate. All the iPhones so far have had rounded edges which I think they will keep doing and for good reason.

I did like a couple of those designs though. I am not opposed to a curved back, especially if I can set the phone down without the camera touching the surface.

I love the idea for a home button that doubles as light notifications.

14. Djs621 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted

As much as I like the majority of those concepts im worried apple isn't going to change the design. Remember, Apple doesn't just do things to do things. The iPhone is slaughtering the way it is. All you have to do is look at their current product line. If their is a change it's subtle and purposeful and not done for no reason.

15. saberahul macrumors 68040

I wish the iPhone 5 would have a built in umbrella...

16. aztooh macrumors 6502a

A brick has 6 flat sides. The iPhone 4/4s also features 6 flat sides.

Calling something the "best design on the market" is subjective. Still so many people having a problem separating opinion from fact. Fact is, there is no "best design on the market". Want to throw in a "in my opinion", then sure..go for it. Everyone has different tastes, likes, needs and wants. No single "best" design/size.

The phone shown on 1-4 looks like an updated, more bulbous Pre. 11 does look good...other than the flat sides...but also looks like an HTC clone. 9 is pretty nice, with removing the physical home button. Several poorly doen Nokia clones and bunch of hot garbage. I don't want my phone to have a striking design, I want it to be comfortable to hold and use.

----------

Uhhhh....the edges on the 4/4S are not rounded. Yes, the band/antenna around the outside makes it less sharp than some of the concepts there, but still not rounded at all.

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The problem with this sort of thing is that people who are good at 3D computer design seem to have very different skills than the people who are good at real-world design.

I'd love to get some jewelry makers, watch makers, and car radio designers into a room and have THEM work out some concepts. That would be cool.

But as it is, having 3D artists work out these things is like asking a baker to cook a steak. Their fields are close...but not quite the same thing. Which leads to stuff like that link.

18. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Exactly. The mockups themselves aren't bad for the most part, it's the actual phone they are depicting which is no good.

19. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

Wirelessly posted

I don't have a problem with thicker. I really liked the lumia inspired big screen thick concept. Apple could put a big ass battery in there for beastly battery life.

20. DroidRules, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012

DroidRules macrumors 65816

IMHO means in my honest opinion. Just a heads up.

I wouldn't mind either but could you imagine if it is thicker? You would be able to surf the poor fanboi's tears as they flowed like uncheck rivers! Look at the major cry baby sessions that occured when the iPad was made thicker! You'd of thought the late SJ's ghost snuck into their rooms and had his way with them the way some of them reacted.
    The unrealstic fb's think it's possible to make a phone paper thin while having 4 days of useage and 5 days of standby. Of course if early rumors do say it's thicker the posts would start...."Steve would never have let it be thicker", "No way it's going to be thicker, that's so un-apple", ect ect. I'll just sit back and laugh muhhahahahahahahahahah

21. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

So glad Jony Ive is still the one designing the iPhone, and not any of these concept artists!

22. aztooh macrumors 6502a

I know what it means. Missed it. My apologies for doing so.

23. TheGdog macrumors 6502

TheGdog

Very True, but I got an Otterbox Defender case for mine. It adds some bulk to the phone and takes away some of the beauty, however it makes it much more comfortable to hold (and practically invincible).

24. rellimie macrumors member

I personally like the iPhone 4 design and don't feel it needs changed. I need a little bit of a bezel for holding without touching the screen.

25. Lynn Belvedere macrumors regular

#10 looks amazing.

Some of them are atrocious though. A few of them looked exactly like Sony Ericssons from 2008. Say goodbye to Apple if they ever release anything that ugly.