New iPhone doubles data consumption: study

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NoHo, Jan 5, 2012.

1. NoHo macrumors 6502

I never understood how people so easily gave up their unlimited data plans simply because they didn't use 2GB of data AT THE TIME.

Just because you didn't use 2GB then doesn't mean you wouldn't in the future. The technology on these mobile devices are moving so quickly. Data consumption is getting larger and larger just from one single generation of device to the next. And with cloud storage looking to become the norm and all media becoming digital, it's only going to keep growing. Imagine the apps we're going to have at our disposal in the future.

Mobile broadband companies were smart and did what the home broadband companies should have done a long time ago. Don't let your customers get used to using the internet however much they want. Make them be aware of how much they use it so they can save bandwidth and also charge more for capped internet. It allows them to be in control of what their customers do with their devices they pay for, not the consumer.

If you're on an unlimited plan, I'd advise to keep it as long as you can. It's worth it for the peace of mind. And if you already have it and they try to take it away, cause a fuss. Don't just give it up so easily the way so many already did. Make it hard for them to take it away so other people who may not realize how important unlimited data will be in the future can finally understand.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/06/us-mobile-data-idUSTRE80500Q20120106

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

it was the extra 15.00 a month it cost me. by having only to pay 15.00 a month over the 30.00 I could get my blind wife a iPhone too for no more extra monthly cost.

3. NoHo thread starter macrumors 6502

That's probably because you're on the 200MB plan. Not the 2GB plan. Unlimited was $30 and 2GB was $25. 200MB I believe was only $15. If saving money is what you're after and 200MB lasts you without going over, you could probably save a lot more money by going to a non-smart phone if you're just texting and checking email. If you're only using the smart phone on WiFi, get an iPod touch. There's no monthly fee there and it looks just as cool as an iPhone. Put it in a case and nobody will even know the difference.

A 200MB plan montly iPhone user is probably the wireless companies favorite customers.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I was saying this over a year ago, when the iPhone 4 first came out. The carrIers dropped unlimited plans for a reason: they KNEW what was coming, and that continuing to offer unlimited data would've meant massive data consumption increases, unchecked.

I also think though, that the study assumes the worst case scenario: the iPhone is always on cellular for data, Never for wifi. In such a case, definitely the 4S uses way more data. But if you have wifi at home, that should cut down dramatically on cell data usage. Even Morelos if you have wifi you can access at work, too.

I have both and found that my data usage on AT&T hasn't changed much between my 4 and 4S.

5. JeffreyDJ macrumors regular

I think you misread -- he HAD the unlimited by for the same price could get two $15 plans.

I didn't give mine up until last spring - I gave it up because I went with the 4G tethering plan.

JJ

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

So I pay $15 a month convenience fee and don't have to carry around two phones. I am also able to check my mail almot as often as I want that month off of wifi safely. Or, if I want to use google voice for texting over data as it uses a miniscule amount of data in the end. All the while, if I go on a trip, I can bump up the data plan to 2GB and have data on the go.

My point? It doesn't have to be more expensive than said iPod touch and a dumb phone. It's all in how you look at it and how you use what you have.

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I use close to 200 megs a month. it gets close with the 4s. but most months I never used 2 gigs let alone more so I was just wasting money. My wife is so happy to have a phone that talks to her it is worth it.

8. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

i have been keeping tabs (graph) of my usage of my android phone for the last year. I am now curious to see what it says my consumption is with my iPhone 4s. I wonder if the numbers will go up?!?!

9. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

It's definitely higher. But I wouldn't say "doubles" in my case. I have the 4GB tethering plan. And I averaged about 250mb with the Iphone 4 and I average about 350mb now with the 4S.

10. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

I think it more has to do with iOS5 than the 4s.

With match and iCloud I'm using far more data on my 4.

11. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Agreed.

12. wordoflife, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I generally use a few hundred MB a month so I have no need for it. With 16 days left on my cycle, I've only used 55 MB. That's even with iOS 5.

I think the 2GB plan is the soft spot for most people.

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Siri probably doesn't contribute squat to that compared to iCloud and the ability to download apps and music up to 20GB in size. I used about half of my 2GB of data in one week because I got a little careless with iTunes Match. Thankfully Verizon does a good job of sending you notices when you hit certain thresholds. I just made sure to not download much over 3G for the rest of the month and I was fine.

14. Heifzilla macrumors newbie

Heifzilla

Just wanted to say this made me smile. :)

Heif

15. NoHo thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'll keep my unlimited for as long as I can. We will need it in the future.