New iphone for son

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cshama, Jul 1, 2012.

1. cshama macrumors newbie

Just got my 11 year old his first iPhone

And on the same day I traded my iPhone 4S in for a Samsung galaxy s3. Frankly I have to say that after using Apple products exclusively for over 10 years that I have found something better. The iPhone is not even close to the S3 in anything but simplicity- that's why I got it for my son.

2. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Could you elaborate on what you like better? I like to see what others like about competitors.

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

God, how many more of these threads are we gonna see?

4. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

Wow. All I can say is you must be the best parents in the world for buying your child an iPhone. I myself, opted for the iPod touch for my 12 year old and a prepaid flip phone. I do not trust my 12 year old with adult data plans! He has already gone through half of the value in the prepaid card in 3 weeks. I told him him that he would get his first iPhone when he goes to high school. But right now he better be content that at least he had an iPod touch.

But seriously, I hope you really do trust your child with the iPhone. Don't be surprised if he comes back days later with a broken iPhone.

The thread starter is not wrong saying that he prefers the S3 over the iPhone. Its his opinion. Although I still feel that he should keep his opinions to himself in a forum like Macrumors....

5. batting1000 macrumors 604

Yeah, unfortunately we're at the point where 11 year olds get iPhone 4S'.

6. Timshan0876 macrumors member

Timshan0876

I would expect something great from a phone that was designed to compete.
    The iPhone, however, was designed to be an iPhone.

Then the iPhone 5 comes out and another half million people line up to buy it in the first day.

----------

Best parent? or...
    most-likely-to-take-risks parent?

Sorry, just some good old non negative ribbing, please dont take offense:D

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

Glad you like your S3 and hope your son likes his 4s. What ever makes people happy..

8. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

guys a lot of kids in middle and elementary schools have iPhones. idk why but parents buy them. They don't talk on them, just play games and iMessage their friends.

@ cshama It depends on what you want to do with your iPhone which is were you will see the potential. I personally network with other creative artist, manage transactions on the go, work with my Mac more in more ways than any Samsung can offer. Simplicity? Yeah.. Time is money. Who has time navigating through a bunch of windows. :confused:

9. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Maybe his son is very mature for his age? I know I was mature even as a young kid I took care of gifts given to me.

10. BluePhoenixRa macrumors regular

So the point of this thread is to say that you don't like your son so you gave him an iPhone, which according to you isn't even close to the new phone that you got for yourself?

Alrighty then. Good to know.

Back to topic, which ever phone fits your needs is fine, but as someone above said, can you please elaborate on why and how the S3 is better than the iPhone? Would like to hear a good comparison between the two.

11. cshama thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok let me be clear in a couple if things. First off I got my son a $100 iPhone 4 with a 300Mb data plan costing an extra $10 a month.Then I switched off cellular data so he can use only WiFi and messaging but no 3g.

This is a kid who was out with me in 100 degree temperatures clearing brush yesterday- so yes he's worth it. He never asks for anything material and I need to contact him so don't think I am spoiling him.

On my side I loved my iPhone but the very slow 3g speeds, tiny screen, very restrictive ui, and fixed battery finally got to me. It's not that the iphone is bad -it's just that the S3 is a lot better. And that frankly shocked me.

12. cshama thread starter macrumors newbie

And by the way I still think Apple is a great company- I love my MacBook, my Mac Air, my mini Mac, my iPod touch etc

It's just I think they are starting to IBM themselves a bit. The restrictive software and hardware while maintaining quality are being overtaken by the competitive jungle.

There is just no comparison unless you are biased

13. ChrisTX, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012

ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

It is all a matter of personal preference. To say that we should all have that same preference would be ridiculous!

14. taipan61 macrumors 6502

so going back to your original op, are you going to actually give us any indication of why you consider the S3 better or are you just pounding your chest 'cause you bought your kid an iphone?
    well i guess i coulda read the title of the thread...
    but seriously why do you consider the S3 better? please fill us in
    thanx

15. Siggen macrumors 6502

I feel sorry for you and your son. If you underestimate him saying he needs simplicity to operate a phone, your holding him back, increasing the likelihood of him serving me a burger instead of removing my potential future brain tumor. (seeing I don't know him, as far as I know he have potential for both).

On the other hand, if your son is mentally retarded, then I feel sorry for you also. That's no joke, and at least then I can understand why you might give your son an iPhone for simplicity sake. Both my nieces use android, one is 3 and a half, and the other is 7, the oldest knew how to operate it at 4, but her younger sister learns form her ;) They download new apps, try them, they can surf (only the oldest one enjoys the web yet), the oldest one uses skype (calling me with webcam), and much more.

I'm not boasting with me nieces, I'm just hoping you let your kid explore more tech wise, and get skills early, he might understand and learn better than you expect, and by the age of 11 my nieces might have the same tech skills I had when I was 15, and by the age of 15 they might have the skill I had when I was 18. This is up to them, they are allowed to do this if they want.

16. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

17. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted

First of all, don't ever apologize for buying your kids anything. Hell, my kids (16 & 11) have iPhones and iPads and Apple TVs. The oldest is rockin my 2 year old MBP. Bottom line is, they're my kids and it's my money.

In terms of the S3 being better, I'm always curious by this statement. The day prior to your purchase, were you unable to be productive with it? How does the S3 make your life better? I'm not hating, just curious how you can leave the ecosystem for a conceived hardware/software bump that is not that significant.

For me, it's not only the hardware/software, it's the ecosystem and the top notch customer service I always get from Apple. More power to you, hope you enjoy your Samsung!

18. cshama thread starter macrumors newbie

One big way it's better is the size of the screen- I felt ok ditching my cellular data plan on my iPad saving $30 a month. It's obviously not as big as an lpad but it is big enough unlike the iPhone.

Secondly I am getting between 5 and 25 Mb speeds on the Galaxy compared to less then one tenth that on the iPhone

Thirdly I love being able to replace the battery at will

And finally I was getting a bit tired with the restrictive software.

I am sure iPhone 5 will solve most if these issues but my upgrade was now.
    Maybe I'll switch back at some point.

19. cshama thread starter macrumors newbie

As for my son being a moron.

Maybe he is - but he's my moron :)

Seriously iPhones are perfect for kids because they are so user friendly. And for $100 with $10 month data plan I thought it was pretty good. It he breaks or loses it then I guess he won't have it anymore.

20. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

So you couldn't wait a few months for the iPhone 5 with a larger screen, 4G and a better iOS ? And you just had to come to this forum and rant ? Why didn't you just go to the Android forum and tell them that you left Apple and a new convent has arrived instead ? :confused: They would welcome you with open arms. ;) For me, I would never go to the Android forums to bad mouth their cell phones...Never. But they do and the ones that changed from the iPhone to a smartphone also come in droves to this iPhone forum, and that is perplexing. Immature human nature I guess.

Best of luck with the new S3.

21. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I always hear this argument, but I don't know anyone that actually bothers to carry a spare battery around with them. Just seems kind of cumbersome to do so really.

22. taipan61 macrumors 6502

ok so could someone explain to me why the big catch phrase is always "ios is soooo restrictive..."
    i have ICS on my transformer and in it's pure form it's just as restrictive as ios, you can always sideload to android and jailbrake ios so for me the argument just doesn'f fly...

so, in other words you're saying those of us staying with our iphones are simpletons because it's too easy to work and that only those with a superior intellect can work an android? unless of course we're 11 years old and then it's ok...

and while i'm spouting off on my soapbox...you don't care if your son loses his new phone...well gee whiz i wish i could be so candid about losing a couple hundred dollar phone:eek:, and i am independently wealthy...lol:D

but hey i'm gonna back under my bridge now...

23. tkwolf macrumors 6502

Personally, I don't think it is up to us to really criticize the OP for buying his son an iPhone. For all we know, he could have the best son in the world and is probably doing better growing up compared to the common "he's such a spoiler dad" notion. Also, we don't know his relationship with his son. I say, that if it is something that makes you happy as a father and you think your son deserves it for whatever good reason, then cheers. I'm not a parent myself so I wouldn't know but it's his money, he can do whatever he wants with it for his son.

24. Twixt macrumors 6502

OP was an AAPL user, and his son still is an AAPL user. What or who could forbid him to post here? Because his end of contract made this brand switch possible, it does not mean his choice was wrong. AAPL's fault in delaying launches from June to October...
    The reality is some people, loyal customers and posters, are switching because they get tired of your favorite brand. Some will come back, some wont... It does not change the fact that iPhone 5 will be a selling success BUT it is not equivalent to say AAPL will be successful as a company post launch...

25. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

OP, you don't have to justify your actions to these members. Do what the hell you want/got to do. :cool: hope your son enjoys his phone