New iPhone - how best to approach mail setup

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FarCountry, Feb 6, 2011.

1. FarCountry macrumors newbie

Background- new iPhone on the way for my wife. She uses pop mail, with her address from our broadband provider. She will not want to change this, and she will not want the iPhone to change the way she does email on her PC (she's PC, I'm Mac) where she uses Windows Mail.

So, what is the best strategy or approach for getting her setup for email on the iPhone so that her experience is as smooth as possible with getting going with the iPhone?

Any tips or ideas?

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

You just set it up like any other mail. Only disadvantage she will face is that being pop she won't get emails right away like imap. It can fetch manually or at certain time slots like fifteen minutes or so. The setting can be found under settings then mail.

3. FarCountry thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't used pop mail in a while, but I recall that I'll want to set either the phone or the computer (or both?) to leave copy of messages on the server. What about sent mail? I assume that if she sends a message or replies to an email from the phone, that a copy will not end up in her sent messages folder on the PC. Is that correct, or are there ways to set this up so that the two are essentially synced to each other?

4. utneon macrumors regular

it depends how the server reacts. for example in gmail it saves the sent messages in server, and when you read a message it marks it as read on the server too, however with windows live mail that doesn't happen.

if it's possible to configure that, i am not aware of that=P but i have to read twice my messages lol

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If she wants her e-mail on both, then both devices need to leave messages on the server. The moment an e-mail is downloaded off the server, it's no longer available to any other device.

You'll also need to check her desktop. If it's been downloading e-mail off the server all this time, then she's not going to see any of those e-mails on her iPhone. The messages reside only on her desktop, and that's that.

This is why for multiple devices, POP is just a bad idea.

Bear in mind that this probably means her inbox is going to reach quota pretty fast. ISPs just don't like to give people much space on their servers for mail, leaving the job to gmail, yahoo and private label companies. Heck, some ISPs don't even bother, and contract with Yahoo or Microsoft Live directly or just tell you outright to sign up with them on your own.

She may not like this, but realistically, if she relies on her e-mail a lot, maybe it's time to switch to one of the web-based services that can offer IMAP or Exchange-based sync. They'll do a better job, many of them don't cost anything, and her messages will probably be more secure, anyway.

And if she doesn't want her address to end in yahoo.com or gmail.com, yahoo does work with AT&T to give their ISP users e-mail... and you can take advantage of this too. If you go to http://att.my.yahoo.com, you can sign up for an e-mail account that has an att.net domain, and you don't even need to be an at&t customer.

It's possible to set up the Phone to upload sent mail to the server where it will keep a copy. Again, all of the above caveats apply.

6. Blarnld macrumors newbie

Messages on server

I have a different scenario. I want my messages on the server to stay on the server when I read and delete them from my iPhone (Yahoo! IMAP account). When I read messages from my Mac (Yahoo! POP account), I want them taken down from the server. Is this possible? What advanced settings should I use?