New iPhone in a new region

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iAlexG, Aug 18, 2012.

1. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

I have an iPhone in the USA but I am moving back to the UK next month and will be getting a new iPhone (since I have a Verizon one here that won't work) I want to sync it so it will be the same but I want to use the UK iTunes Store. If I change the region of my ID (which I think I can do?) will my US apps still be okay and everything the same?

2. DefBref macrumors 6502

You have to create a new account for the UK store, you can't just change the region of your current one.

You can however keep all your US apps, you just need to sign in and out of the appropriate account when you need to update them.

You don't have to switch to the UK store just cause your moving their btw. Unless there is a specific app you require, only available in the UK, you could just stick with your US account.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You can still sign in to your US account so all your apps will be fine. Though since you said you're getting a new iPhone when you move over there, I'm assuming your current one is the 4? Because if you have the 4S it has a sim card that Verizon will unlock for you so it will work over there.

4. iAlexG thread starter macrumors 6502

iAlexG

I've found that the region can be changed on the ID. Does that mean if I have Reeder v.3.0.3 and 3.0.4 comes out I won't get the notification to update? or will I?

----------

Unfortunately yes I have the 4 without the sim slot. Such a hassle. Technically I will be going home to UK and will not be returning so I'm changing all my accounts to UK versions. I just don't want to lose US purchases.

5. DefBref macrumors 6502

You need seperate accounts for each app store you wish to purchase/update from, changing the region won't work.

I have apps from two accounts on my idevices and you do get the notification, but you need to sign in to the appropriate account to actually do the update. In itunes (PC/Mac) for example it will show a number of updates but if you click on the update button, it will only show the updates for the account you are signed into, which more than often is less than the number it shows.

6. iAlexG thread starter macrumors 6502

iAlexG

This is more difficult than it should be. There are UK apps I need (Banking firstly) and I won't have a US billing address for the US account anymore. So I either use a UK account and lose my apps and .me email or use two accounts and switch all the time.... wow. I shouldn't have to do that.

7. DefBref macrumors 6502

It isn't really as difficult as you think. You only have to swap accounts when you need to update. The apps will work fine whichever account is actually signed in.

8. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

What's this option in the iTunes Store account page for?

Attached Files:

9. iAlexG thread starter macrumors 6502

iAlexG

Exactly, what is the point in that option.

& does anyone know how my iCloud email address will be affected by this if I make a UK account and start using that all the time?