New iPhone in August?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JeffNewland, Jul 2, 2012.

1. JeffNewland macrumors member

2. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Anything's possible.

I think a reliable source from the supply chain a few weeks ago said that things are going so well that an August launch is possible. Whether that's true or it's just the same rumor floating around, who knows.

3. bad03xtreme macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

If the iPhone is ready Apple is only hurting themselves by waiting to release the phone. I know everyone will say iOS6 isn't ready but just release it and then update when iOS6 is ready in the fall everyone is buying up the GSIII without Jellybean.

4. batting1000 macrumors 604

They can't do that. The newest model usually has a marquee feature that Apple puts in the newest OS. People would complain that Apple isn't adding anything new or that it's not being release with the latest update.

5. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Everyone? Funny I saw no lines, or camp outs or news coverage. In fact the GS3 is basically a non-event to most people.

Apple will move more iPhones in a week than GS3's sold all summer.

6. nfl46 macrumors 603

iOS 6 isn't THAT buggy. They can do 2-3 more betas (2 weeks each) and it'll be ready. Late August could definitely be a possiblity. If they stick to 2 weeks, we could be around iOS Beta 5 then.

7. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Either August or October, I can wait it out a bit longer, as long as they have really done their homework, and got things working without too many issues at launch. ;) Not really holding my breath on that one however. :D

8. batting1000, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012

batting1000 macrumors 604

This.

Samsung will supposedly top 10 million Galaxy SIII's before the end of July and it's been out since May 29th. It will have taken 2 months to do that from May 29 to the end of July.

Apple sold 4 million iPhone 4S' on the first weekend. A weekend is two days. If they sold 4 million evry weekend, it would take last than 6 days to sell 10 million. Heck, even if they don't sell that many in two days anymore, it probably still would take less than 2 months to sell 10 million.

9. lilo777 macrumors 603

And yet, the stores have delayed release of S3 because of high demand (and not enough supply). Normal people generally do not like to stay in lines. It looks like SGS3 fans are normal people.

Back to the topic of this thread. There is absolutely no chance that iPhone 5 will be released in August. If that were the case we would already have multiple confirmations from more reputable sources.

10. Darthdingo, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012

Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

The Samsung Galaxy SIII is extremely popular, all pre-orders selling out, and stock issues. It will be the biggest selling Android phone of all time. I think 10 million already ordered worldwide, and it just went on sale. Wait till end of summer, and see what the final amount is after one quarter of it being on sale, I bet it rivals iPhone sales, or close to it.

I am sure though the iPhone5 will also be a HUGE success for Apple, if it is a design change with bigger screen, no doubt the biggest selling smartphone in history, just like the BigMac for hamburgers, at McDonald's. The iPhone is the BigMac of smartphones, kids, teens, parents and grandparents go to McDonald's, and buy iPhone's.

I prefer the lower selling, but much better organic buffalo burgers, like my Nexus

11. Ay_Zimmy macrumors 6502

It's definitely possible. Most likely because they don't want to see iPhone 4 users get tired of waiting and get a new phone a few months before launch thus being caught in a 2 year plan and no iPhone 5! Plus, I rather get it home then when I'm off in the summer rather than when I'm at college.

12. nfl46 macrumors 603

You see no lines because retail stores have been having issues with supply. AT&T isn't getting it in store until July 6; Sprint got it in store yesterday, and I'm not sure when Verizon is getting it in store. The release date was around late May. Samsung was trying to fulfill all those preorders before US stores got them.

That's why you so no lines because everyone that wants one right now is pre-ordering then going to pick them up in stores.

And, they could, but we shall see.

Sorry to say, but the S2 and S3 are the only devices that can keep up with the iPhone sales. Eventually, Samsung will pass them in a couple years in the sales department.

13. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I hope so, I'm eligible for an upgrade on my iPhone 4 today. But it's highly unlikely we'll see it in August.

14. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

I think the biggest issue is not iOS 6 but the new Qualcomm LTE chip that they say they are having trouble with. If it does come out in September, they're will likely be shortages.

The same thing is happening with the S3. Samsung will likely sell 10M but could have sold a few million more if they could build enough of them. Again, the issue seems to be shortages of the Qualcomm S4 chipset or the Exynos chipset.

15. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I will predict now that it won't even be close. And good luck getting real sales numbers from Samsung.

Apple will probably do 7 to 10 million units the first week and be the best selling smart phone in the world for the next year.

And Samsung is having logistical problems because they jumped the gun on the American launch to avoid the iPhone in the fall. They took a **** on all the GS2 owners by dropping a successor 8 months later.

16. lilo777 macrumors 603

US SGS2 owners are not all owners. Most owners are actually outside the US and SGS2 was released internationally about one year ago (a little more). So, Samsung is releasing new S phone on its regular time. The only difference is that this time around they managed to prevent US Wireless providers from getting all sorts of customization. This explains why US released was pushed forward.

17. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I have the answer.

Seek no more.

This is the absolute, no question, completely undeniable answer...

My upgrade date is in the first week of October, so the release of the next iteration of the iPhone will be in October.

That's it.

Remember, you heard it here first.

(No doubts!!)

:rolleyes: ;) :D

18. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

So what. The American market still got **** upon. Thankfully I sold my GS2 when you still could get decent value out of it. It funded my 4S actually.

19. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

20. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I doubt there will be an August release. The current iPhone line up is still selling like hotcakes. Remember, we are in the extreme minority in this forum.

21. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Also for Apple, ramping up for an iPhone release is no small task.

They will take as much time as they need.

September at the earliest. October most likely. November worst case scenario.

22. Twixt macrumors 6502

It could well be in August...
    Rumors say Galaxy note 2 launch will be in september to disturb iPhone 5 a bit more.
    GS3 is a blast, numbers could be better without these supply chain issues and Note 2 has good future I guess.
    So if AAPL knows it will be tough to be compared to these (screen size ?), why not anticipating so that ppl would wait !

23. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Lol in that brain of yours you really think Apple is concerned with the Note 2.

I'm pretty sure if it comes down to a release date showdown, Samsung won't want anything near the next iPhone's release date. Tim Cook wont have a problem playing chicken.

24. Twixt macrumors 6502

Not note 2 indeed, but cumulative effect of GS3 plus Note 2, and dont forget that Cook knows iphone 5 screen size whereas we dont know it yet...
    It is never good to witness your best competitor selling or taking orders for tens of million units when you intend to launch your baby on which 50% of company's profits rely on...