New iPhone or iPhone 5 coming... Are you selling your 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sdahe, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Hello,

We've been seen many threads about the new iPhone and some mockups but the question is.... Are you going to go along with Apple's new stuff coming out and sell your 4 to get the new one?

How long are you gonna wait to sell your iPhone 4? or you're just gonna wait a few months.

2. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

Our kids are going to inherit our iPhone 4's when we upgrade our iPhones. It's almost that time for them to upgrade their current gaming handheld device (iPhone 3G's).:p

A lot cheaper than a Nintendo DSi or PS Vita... and the games are a lot cheaper. Especially when we tell them to look for the "Free" games.;)
    Still... games from $.99 to $9.99 is a lot better than spending money on games that costs $29.99 to $39.99.

3. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

I'll wait until I get the new iPhone then put my iP4 on Craigslist.

4. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Seeing this develop on such a huge scale makes me sad! D: I love mobile gaming platforms and I own a 3DS and love it to death, while at the same time I can see that kingdom slowly collapsing due to the ease and portability of iOS / Android gaming.

I totally get where you're coming from though! It just makes sense economically and it almost always keeps kids happy.

As for me, I plan on seeing if the next iPhone is a worthy upgrade and may have it in myself to shell out the extra 100 or 200 it'd cost to get as an unlocked model (when it's available and I've sold mine.)

5. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

It's not really an economical thing... our kids still own a PSP and a DSi. I'm not really the type to hold back in spending money on the latest technology... especially on any type of gaming systems.;)

However, our kids prefer playing games on the iPhones over their other handheld gaming devices. Plus, I just like keeping our old iPhone's around... LOL... We still have our original first gen 2G iPhone's. Those were tanks as far as duralbility. I didn't have to worry as much when the kids threw those iPhones around. Our iPhone 4's are getting old... and we are ready to move on to the iPhone 5.

6. barryl85 macrumors regular

I will upgrade to the next iPhone once I have it in hand I will put my iPhone 4 up for sale !

7. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Me.. I don't know yet. Maybe I'll wait a few months before buying the new iphone. Maybe I'll change to Android... don't know for sure. What I know is that Apple will make a great job in the promotion of the new iphone. They always make it look like the phone from the gods.. hahahaa..:D

8. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

iPhones maintain value really well - I haven't noticed a difference from selling my phone a month before an announcement/release or a month after.

9. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

10. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

If its true that there is a new dock connector, i will not be selling my 4s at all and will be using it as an iPod.

I probably still won't buy this iPhone and wait for the one next year though.

11. luked14 macrumors 6502

Right now I'm telling myself I won't upgrade until an untethered jailbreak is available for iOS 6 and the new iPhone, but I'll probably get excited and buy soon after it is released.

Then my 4S will probably go to my mom.

12. JAT macrumors 603

Waiting to see what VZW offers for family data plans. But my current phone will almost certainly stick around the house as iPod/iPhone.

13. cambookpro, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

1. Buy a iP5
    2. Make sure it works
    3. Sell iP4 on eBay
    4. ???
    5. (Probably not a) PROFIT!

14. StuLax18 macrumors 6502

I will probably just keep my 4 as a backup just in case. I still have my 3G also. Considering my home button is very finicky, I wouldn't want to sell it any way.

15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

A lot cheaper than a Nintendo DS? A DS costs $100, while a new iPhone costs $1050... How's that cheaper?

16. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

You are looking at it differently than we are, but can I see where you are coming from. Our kids basically inherit our current iPhones when we upgrade. We don't really sell our old iPhones when we upgrade so it's either recycle them, or let our kids use them as an iPod touch. Our kids are currently using our previous iPhone 3G's... so when we upgrade, they will retire the 3G's (as they did when they retired the 2G's), and upgrade by taking our current iPhone 4's. So if you look at it from our point of view, the only money are spending is toward our iPhone upgrades for my wife and I. We aren't spending extra on the kids by giving them our old iPhone 4's. Hope that makes sense.

17. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Touch gaming blows on serious titles though. I would rather play FIFA 12 on my Xbox or PS3 than an iOS device. Even if you can use a controller, using it for an iPhone looks so ridiculous.

Unless all titles figure out a way to throw away that D-pad and directional buttons and use touch gestures to do everything. Like battleheart.

18. RenoG macrumors 65816

This is exactly what I do, my old 3G is my girls gamer I have 30+ games on it and they love it..especially on long road trips. Yes I will be upgrading my 4 regardless of what the 5 look or act like (I upgrade every other) as I'm heavy in the apple ecosystem. Besides my girls 8 and 12 would love to have their own. I hear you on the saving too erayser, yes the DS is 100 bucks but games are $30 or so, I have 30+ free games in my kids old 3g that they are more than happy with. Hmmm lets see that would be 30+ times $30 in DS world. Doesn't sound cheaper to me...

19. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

Since my GSM iPhone 4 is in pretty good condition since I have had it, I am going to have the battery replacement done for $79 and get mine offically unlocked by AT&T in a couple of weeks. Its just has some minor scratches on it, so I think I'll be able to get enough to cover the cost of the next iPhone.

20. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

hactivatig the 4 then jailbreaking it. lots of customization.

21. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I just recently sold my iPhone 4 that I had since launch and I still got a nice amount for it. Not sure why I waited so long to sell it since I got the 4S at launch also- but at any rate these things retain value for a long time, epecially if they are in good shape. I wouldn't sell now, we likely have a few more months before the next iPhone comes out.

22. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Funny thing, I never got rid of my first generation iPhone. Sitting in my desk drawer and amazingly it still works. Will probably pass on the iPhone 4 to a family member after I obtain the new one.

23. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

24. AppleBoyFreak macrumors 6502

I always use my parents upgrade to get the newest iPhone and then just give them my old one for free. So basically they get a $200 phone for free that's in perfect condition every year. And in return I usually have my mom buy my first new iPhone case. Her buying me the first case for my new iPhone is kinda like a tradition now. Lol

25. Fouracre44 macrumors regular

My iphone 4s will remain in a drawer, with a case and a prepaid simcard. IF the chance should come along where I am in need of a phone, I can transfer all my data to the iphone 4s and use that!

I usually hang on to phones as I have loved ones who seem to break their iphones lol. Also my ex girlfriend is hanging on to my old iphone, however I don't imagine i'll be seeing that again!