New iPhone Owners - Email - Tip - IMAP

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by filipx, Nov 11, 2007.

1. filipx macrumors newbie

Here is a little tip for all of you there new to iPhone on O2.

Until now we've had email on our other phones but it has never been as usable as it is now on iphone. This means that if you regularly read email on your iphone , you don't want to read it again on your computer.

so, use IMAP email. not POP3

Great thing about IMAP is that it automaticly syncs all your email to your phone and your mac ..so if you've read email on your phone it will not show as unread on your mac.
    Gmail is also great because you can create "notes" in your Mail.app and they will be automatically synced to your iphone.

If your current service provider does not provide you with IMAP email service, time is now to start using GMAIL.
    If you are using Gmail already, read this guide to enable IMAP email
    http://5thirtyone.com/archives/862

Don't have a gmail account? Step by step:

1. Sign up to Gmail
    2. Forward all your email from your other account to your new gmail account. This should be possible from the control panel of your current email provider.
    3. In Gmail settings/accounts add your other email address so when you send email via gmail the "from" is still your old email.
    4. Set up IMAP gmail on your Mac and your Iphone. see guide here:
    http://5thirtyone.com/archives/862

you are all done. Welcome to 21st century email. :)

2. Mossman macrumors member

Great post! Already doing this for a while and very, very convenient :)

3. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Excellent post.

I've set up my iPhone to accept emails from four different email addresses (2 pop and 2 imap): AOL, GoogleMail, Hotmail, and Yahoo. It all works very well indeed, but I have three questions:

1. Is Yahoo the only one that provides a push facility, allowing the emails to come through without having to wait for the iPhone to carry out it's regular search for new mail?

2. Is it possible to set up GoogleMail to have all your email (from as many as 4 email addresses coming through the GoogleMail account? If the answer to this is yes:

3. Can the same be done with the Yahoo account?

4. filipx thread starter macrumors newbie

Not sure how Yahoo works ..

2. yes, you can get gmail to download email from other email accounts.
    Sorry, i forgot to mention this ...if you can't forward your email to gmail, then use gmail facility to get email from other email accounts:
    gmail/settings/accounts/Get mail from other accounts

5. ibanana macrumors 6502

mate, how do u set up hotmail ?

i've set up another emait using smtp.o2.co.uk what about you guys?

6. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Advantages of IMAP over POP3

There are actually many more advantages for IMAP over POP3 than the eye can see (courtesy of wikipedia):

*When using POP3, clients typically connect to the e-mail server briefly, only as long as it takes to download new messages. When using IMAP4, clients often stay connected as long as the user interface is active and download message content on demand. For users with many or large messages, this IMAP4 usage pattern can result in faster response times.

*The POP3 protocol requires the currently connected client to be the only client connected to the mailbox. In contrast, the IMAP protocol specifically allows simultaneous access by multiple clients and provides mechanisms for clients to detect changes made to the mailbox by other, concurrently connected, clients.

*IMAP4 provides a mechanism for a client to ask the server to search for messages meeting a variety of criteria. This mechanism avoids requiring clients to download every message in the mailbox in order to perform these searches.

7. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Many thanks, I'll give it a go. :)

You need to use IzyMail which costs about £10 per year. Works brilliantly though. Take a look:

http://v3.izymail.com/

:):):)

8. filipx thread starter macrumors newbie

I generally encourage everyone to buy a domain name ...co.uk are so cheap these days and you have so much more flexibility in the future how you receive your email.
    When buying a domain you just need to make sure you can forward your email ...so if email is sent to xx@blahblah.com is forwarded to your gmail account or any other account.
    This is practically a future proof system ...
    lets say hotmail starts charging or becomes overloaded with adds or charge for IMAP ...you can easily move and your friends will never know the difference because your email is always the same (domain) and you are just changing the forwarding.

I use UK REG ..easy to set-up and you just need a basic service ..web forwarding and email forwarding.

The problem with the free services with gmail, hotmal and yahoo is that you are stuck if you want to move ..gotta tell everyone you know u changed email. This way, you always have only one email address ..as long as you pay your annual charge on your domain, off course :))

9. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Well, I took your excellent advice and I'm really glad I did. I now have a snazzy email address and my own domain to boot, and all set up with an IMAP account for the convenience that provides. Brilliant, thank you.

Initially I tried to set up the whole thing by subscribing to the fasthosts.co.uk webmail hosting service but I just couldn't get it to work with entourage on my MacBook Pro, nor for that matter to send email at all, although receiving mail worked fine. The other problem was that it was a POP account. Anyway, after a very steep learning curve I found a company called 1&1 and was up and running with a fully functioning IMAP account within no time at all, and without any problems whatsoever:

http://order.1and1.co.uk/xml/order/...3B03B153D706E2D7C.TC33a?__reuse=1195166576689

I'm delighted. Thanks again!

10. sneeks macrumors 6502a

I may look into this and discover what IMAP actually is :D

11. draperm25 macrumors regular

draperm25

Hi All,

I was just wondering, does anyone know where i can find the thing im my email program to forward my email to my gmail account?

i got Windows Vista and a POP3 account (if this helps)

12. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Can you explain the problem a bit more fully?

13. sneeks macrumors 6502a

I set up IMAP using a email forwarder from my private domains to a Gmail account I created last night. It works very well, I don't know why I never considered using IMAP before. Thanks for creating this thread or I'd not have even considered switching.

The IMAP interface on the phone with Gmail looks lots better too which is nice.

14. canada macrumors newbie

Can you configure Yahoo! account as IMAP in Apple Mail?

Greetings friends here and across the pond,

A frustrating thing for me is the glorious IMAP access to Yahoo! from the iPhone Mail app, but no equivalent through the Apple Mail program on my Macbook. Can we configure our Yahoo! accounts to use the iPhone-specific IMAP server in the Apple Mail program?

I could try this myself, but the only time I see the server name is when it can't reach it or when some other error triggers a message on the iPhone. Anyone know the IMAP server address off-hand?

Cheers,

Canada (as my friends call me)

15. draperm25 macrumors regular

draperm25

well i want to use my email address from home on my iphone and i think you have an option of forwarding all emails to you gmail account? But i dont know where to look for it on Microsoft Email to put in my gmail account address?

16. filipx thread starter macrumors newbie

You can set this up in the gmail/settings/account where gmail can download your mail from other accounts using pop3 ...then you just download all mail via gmail's IMAP to your phone or mac.

17. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

18. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Yes, that's very useful for those yet to convert IMAP.

I have to say IMAP is just brilliant the way that you can access your folders on the go and have everything updated when you read, delete etc. without having to repeat the process on your other hardware; iPhone, laptop, desktop or whatever it may be.

19. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

I just started using gmail on my iphone in IMAP instead of POP3, and now I don't have the annoying "This message has not been downloaded from the server." errors anymore. Yay!

20. designaholic macrumors regular

designaholic

Great post. I recently switched to IMAP –it's perfect for syncing your mac and iPhone…couldn't live without it now :cool:

21. ventro macrumors 6502a

22. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

2nd to the iPhone methinks.

23. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Agreed. Thank you for posting this. I couldn't be more happy now that I've switched.

24. draperm25 macrumors regular

draperm25

sorry for sounding so dumb people, but is IMAP only available on an apple or can i set that up with a windows mail client?

25. alFR macrumors 68020

Both Outlook and Outlook Express let you use IMAP accounts: there's an option to select IMAP when you're adding a new account. Your email provider has to support IMAP, of course.