Carrier New iPhone purchase - switching from unlimited data at at&t to t-mobile one

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SimplyS, Sep 10, 2016.

1. SimplyS macrumors member

Hello, I've been with AT&T ever since I got my first cellular device and have been grandfathered to the unlimited data plan. my bill comes out to close to 110$ a month for a single line and that is without having to pay for a device.

until now the main thing that kept me with at&t has been the ability to purchase a subsidized iPhone every two years which offset the extra cost of the service versus other carriers.

I placed an order for a 7+ with AT&T under NEXT and realized I would be paying 150$ for one line, plus I'm going to have to deal with the inconvenience of getting my plan back on track because at&t seems to really not want grandfathered users to be able to stay on their plan (my mobile to mobile unlimited minutes automatically got set to be removed on november which no ability to change it once I had placed the next order) Considering cancelling my pre order and switching lines

TLDR: Is there any reason I should stay with AT&T with my unlimited data plan and paying hundreds of dollars extra every year over going with T-mobile ONE (unlimited everything for 70$)

2. stoney05, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016

stoney05 macrumors regular

At&T Coverage is probably better, but varies by area.

Both Unlimited plans have soft caps. At&T: 22GB - T-Mo: 23GB

T-Mobile allows tethering, but also restricts videos to 480p unless you opt out/pay more.

"..Un-carrier also announced plans to offer Unlimited high-definition (HD) Day Passes to T-Mobile ONE customers - for just $3.00 per day. All the HD video streaming you want.."

"Introducing T-Mobile ONE Plus

Unlimited HD Day Passes.

Want to stream HD video? Toggle it on for 24 hours whenever you want. Every day, once a week or once a month – it’s up to you! All the HD video you want..."

3. SimplyS thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much for your reply, after posting the thread I noticed the limit on HD streaming, (25$ extra to remove that restriction) Makes my decision even harder

4. gadgetfreaky macrumors 65816

Why not do the turn in offer- that makes it just like the old contact with teh subsizied price
    id not stay on ATT tho if you lose the $35 unlimited data plan

5. SimplyS thread starter macrumors member

I was going to give my previous iPhone as a gift, I may still end up going for the trade in offer. The only thing that is pending removal (november 1) is the mobile to mobile unlimited plan i pay 10$ and for the same I would have to pay 30$ if that does happen.

6. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

Me and my wife switch from Verizon unlimited data to T-Mobile, while they had 100 for 2 lines unlimited everything. My plan don't have any restrictions other than 6gb per month tethering allowance. May have 23g slow downs, but never used that much. Plus, T-Mobile has unlimited international roaming, it's slow but enough for casual uses, perfect for us since we travel a lot.

I also have att unlimited. I'd say att's signal reaches further, but t mobile is faster. As long as you are in cities, I don't think I can one is better than another signal-wise.

7. SimplyS thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much for your advice, I travel a lot as well. I'm just trying to understand the 480p limitation. as in no matter what I can not watch 720/1080 videos unless I buy their HD pass/add the 25$ plan?