New iPhone resore from back up or set up as new phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Donia330i, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Donia330i macrumors regular

Just got my new 5s. What is best way to go about setting up the new phone? Can I just restore a backup from my 5 or I go through the whole set up as a new phone. Does it matter? Does one perform better? Thanks!

2. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Do a restore and set up as new phone. IMO, this is always the best -- a clean install of iOS, instead of potential problems with restores from prior setups, which can introduce unwanted artifacts.

3. D3TSURA macrumors member

Well I have OCD so I prefer to set mine up as a new phone.

4. StevenT42 macrumors 6502

I have always restored from backup so I don't lose my photos and texts. And I have done this for every beta of iOS 7 and OS prior to it.

5. Aucun Express macrumors regular

6. Dibberly macrumors newbie

there's posts for and against for restoring from a backup or start as a new phone.

if you dont have anything you want to keep on your phone, then its obvious to set up as a new one....but if there is stuff you want to keep (eg text messages etc) then i would restore from back up.

If the worst case scenario is that the phone develops issues or problems then you can always restore and set up as new.

people on here have restored from backup and not had a problem

7. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

I always set it up as new phone. Good time to do some housekeeping (don't install unused apps).

8. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

If you set up as a new phone, you have to manually re-download all of your apps instead of just doing a sync... You also have to manually reload your old photos, etc... When you do a "Restore from backup", you are not reloading the iOS, you are simply restoring all the settings and content, not the operating system itself.

9. blarivee macrumors 6502

10. WilliamG macrumors 604

Never, ever had a problem restoring from backup. I've had each and every iPhone, too.

11. Dibberly macrumors newbie

Thats what i have said:

12. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

Me either... And I've done it around 15-20 times just on my series of 3 different phones...

13. Indecisi0n macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

14. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Have always restored from backup and not had any issues.

15. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

ive restored from backup since the iPhone 3G came out. Im sure if i pressed load earlier messages long enough id get text messages back from that time lol

16. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

It appears that a fresh install is the best option, but like others have said, you have to manually install all of your apps, re-do all of your settings and you lose your messages. Just hasn't been worth it IMO.