New iPhone to have 1136x640 display?

Darrensk8

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
can someone post mockups of how content would look in landscape?

Been trying to find some but can't seem to see any!

Comment

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I'd much rather see a more natural 3:2 aspect ration than a 16:9. However Jony Ive is the best in the biz so we'll have to wait and see.

Comment

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
Why would anyone "not' like a larger display. And the preferred 16'9 to boot. You see all of the screen as it was intended. Video, web browsing, etc.

It looks to me that they are going to add the bigger screen without increasing the phone's size that much if at all. That is a win, win in my book. One hand usability with a larger screen. The best of both worlds. It is looking more and more that a 4' screen is coming.

Thank you Apple. :)

Comment

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
Why would anyone "not' like a larger display. And the preferred 16'9 to boot. You see all of the screen as it was intended. Video, web browsing, etc.

It looks to me that they are going to add the bigger screen without increasing the phone's size that much if at all. That is a win, win in my book. One hand usability with a larger screen. The best of both worlds. It is looking more and more that a 4' screen is coming.

I don't think anyone is against a larger screen. They're against a larger phone.

I'm also against a 16:9 ratio because I don't want fragmentation. As soon as that thing launches, there'll be a ton of app that aren't updated for the new aspect ratio, and it'll look like total crap.

Comment

B18DelSolT

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2010
That's old, but I do like it. Just wish they would phase out the home button and use something like the Palm Pre instead. Buttons are old tech :).

Comment

cmChimera

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010

I'm not against a bigger screen OR a larger phone. I'm against fragmentation, and the fact that a change in aspect ratio and resolution to something that is in 0 iOS devices to date means that none of the apps in the app store are going to be properly designed to the phone.

Comment

superdudeo

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2010
Increasing the height and not the width is a massive error. Desparately need more width on the iPhone. If it increases the size of the phone it will be so minimal, you'll hardly notice. Especially if they slim it down as well.

Comment

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I'm not against a bigger screen OR a larger phone. I'm against fragmentation, and the fact that a change in aspect ratio and resolution to something that is in 0 iOS devices to date means that none of the apps in the app store are going to be properly designed to the phone.
You must be great at adapting to change.

Comment

samxool

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2011
I don't think anyone is against a larger screen. They're against a larger phone.

I'm also against a 16:9 ratio because I don't want fragmentation. As soon as that thing launches, there'll be a ton of app that aren't updated for the new aspect ratio, and it'll look like total crap.
you're wrong.
16:9 is the way to go.
yep it'll cause fragmentation. But within 2 generations, virtually everyone will be on iphone 5 or 5s which will have the new ratio.
Apple would be stupid to stick with 3:2 at this point.
Or do you still have a 4:3 tv screen in your lounge???

Comment

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands

I imagine those apps will have black bars at the top and bottom for a while. I don't think that's something that will stop Apple from changing aspect ratio on their screens.

Comment

Darrensk8

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
I imagine those apps will have black bars at the top and bottom for a while. I don't think that's something that will stop Apple from changing aspect ratio on their screens.
I agree but does 16:9 really give us much more, other than when watching video?

Comment

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
That's old, but I do like it. Just wish they would phase out the home button and use something like the Palm Pre instead. Buttons are old tech :).
Hmm.. I have always liked the concave home button. Let's me feel instantly which end is which when pulling it out of my pocket, and it doesn't get pressed inadvertently. I don't think buttons are old tech at all. I feel the only reason for some brands to employ capacitive 'buttons' is.. because they can. Not a good enough reason.

----------

I agree but does 16:9 really give us much more, other than when watching video?
I think it does, for starters with just about anything that involves displaying text. I mean, will widening the display to 720 really give us that much more? Apart from increasing the phone's size.

Comment

Widashy

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
That was really uncalled for.
They are not increasing the width so that the new iPhone fits just like old iPhones. I wonder if it would look a little like Xperia P?

Comment

Darrensk8

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
----------
[/COLOR]

I think it does, for starters with just about anything that involves displaying text. I mean, will widening the display to 720 really give us that much more? Apart from increasing the phone's size.[/QUOTE]
----------

Fair point but I can't help but feel from the mockups the screen just looks a little long...I'm sure the final design will look great though ;)

Comment

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I'm thoroughly against this idea. I think it'll be too tall in portrait and too short in landscape, and then there's the fact that you're breaking perfect compatibility with over 600,000 apps. Better to go to 1440x960 and increase the size of the smartphone diagonally.

Comment

Fynd

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
If they do go with a 16:9 iPhone, I hope they never touch the iPads 4:3 design. I'd be fine with it on my phone, but I love the iPads ratio compared to the Android tablets. Much rather use it in portrait than landscape.

Comment

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Keeping the screen as skinny as it is won't solve any of the problems it currently has (it's too short and narrow).

Comment

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007

I know that. But the article never stated that the phone would be larger or much larger at all. Only that the screen will get bigger. If they make it a little bigger no big deal. I can live with a few mm.

There will be no fragmentation. Apps will be updated. The apps that run in the former resolution can just have black bars on the side until they update their apps. No big deal.

Comment