New iPhone User Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dnelms, Oct 2, 2012.

1. dnelms macrumors regular

dnelms

My only smartphones until now were Android, so I need a question answered about the iPhone. When you are not in an area that you can use wireless (like my work) or using bluetooth (in my vehicle).... is it necessary or good practice to go to settings to turn off the wifi and bluetooth to conserve battery. On my Nexus, I had two toggle widgets that meant swipe one screen and make sure they were off. Having to settings and each one everytime is a bit more steps, but I assume it uses battery just like the Android did having to always search for a signal if on?

Am I also correct in assuming there are not any apps (at least I could not find any) that at least give you a quick touch access to urning the wifi or bluetooth off?

One of the main reasons I decided to change to iOS this time around was lack of timely updates for problems. Apple already pushed a carrier update to my phone that is supposed to correct the wifi counting as cellular data bug. That would have taken Verizon 6 months on my Android device. Looks like a made the right call.

Thanks

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Always better to switch off since it conserves battery life.

You have to jailbreak to get easy toggles on an iPhone, there is no easy access by default.

Edit: And there is no jailbreak for iOS 6 yet, you probably have to wait a couple of months.

3. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I have wifi turned on 24/7 as on wifi far more than I am 3G. My battery usually gets me through an 11 - 12 hour day with about 24% to spare if I don't flip on the Mophie juice pack during the day.

I don't think the wifi drains the battery as much as people think it does. But maybe I just have one of those magical iPhones that doesn't experience the same problems that others claim affect the entire line of devices. ;)

4. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

this. I leave both on all day. With wifi just make sure to turn off "ask to join networks." The only way I would turn bluetooth off is if I was in an area that had a lot of bluetooth devices so it was not constantly searching. Unlike an android, you do not have to worry about task killing or things to manage battery life, at least in my experiences with both devices.

5. flipn0tic macrumors member

Also coming from an Android here, and while leaving the wifi, bluetooth, and location service on does drain the battery, it is no where near as dramatic as it was on my EVO. I still turn BT and wifi off on my iPhone when I'm not using it, but when I forget, it's no big deal.

What I've found affects the battery the most (across ALL phones) is when your 3G signal is struggling. If you are in a weak area and don't need data, turn it off. The difference in battery life between a strong and weak signal is amazing. Hours and hours of difference.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

My iPhone replaced an HTC Touch Pro. Battery life with WiFi on the TP is abysmal and it gets freaking hot in minutes.

So it was with that perspective that I came in with to the iPhone. Should have known better as my 3GS can be on WiFi all day (no carrier) and still be about 90% at the end of the day (light use). WiFi seems to have a minimal effect on the iPhone.

The iPhone seems to have an adaptive switching so it uses WiFi when it finds it (on networks it can connect to) but defaults to cellular when not. So, I just leave mine on.

As for settings. There is SBSettings, but your phone needs to be jailbroken. I wouldn't worry about it though. Just turn it on, leave it on and let the iPhone worry about the connections/power.

7. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

wifi not so much, but bluetooth is more noticeable.
    if you are a heavy user you will notice it. if you are more casual you wont. I use my phone a lot and turning those off give me almost an hour more usage on my 5