New IPhone will support USB 3.0

ray6712

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
StL
was just thinking if Apple is changing their dock connector this year the New IPhone will be the first IOS device to support USB 3.0 natively. I was reading that in order to support 3.0 standard the device processor must include this feature so since we're almost sure they will offer a new cable we can almost bet it will have more advanced circuitry than what's currently available. I don't see Apple redesigning anything from the ground up and not future proofing it for future devices.

If this holds true then the New IPhone will probably sport a dual core A15 spec processor since USB 3.0 is supported natively through the A15. which is why the galaxy S3 doesnt include USB 3.0

I could be wrong but I think I'm on the right track with this

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I can't imagine that they wouldn't. Since their new machines support it, it only makes sense to up the connections of the iDevices. It's backwards compatible so there is no real downside.

ray6712

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
StL
no sources just combining info found from stories posted around the net and art of connecting the dots

Dubthedankest

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2010
was just thinking if Apple is changing their dock connector this year the New IPhone will be the first IOS device to support USB 3.0 natively. I was reading that in order to support 3.0 standard the device processor must include this feature so since we're almost sure they will offer a new cable we can almost bet it will have more advanced circuitry than what's currently available. I don't see Apple redesigning anything from the ground up and not future proofing it for future devices.

If this holds true then the New IPhone will probably sport a dual core A15 spec processor since USB 3.0 is supported natively through the A15. which is why the galaxy S3 doesnt include USB 3.0

I could be wrong but I think I'm on the right track with this
It won't be an A15.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
This is likely the reason why all the Mac laptops this year were updated to USB 3.0. It would be a real shame to release a whole new connector with no USB 3.0. Imagine how that would look in a few years..... Ick!

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I can't imagine that they wouldn't. Since their new machines support it, it only makes sense to up the connections of the iDevices. It's backwards compatible so there is no real downside.
When did the MBP's start to incorporate it?

ADDITIONAL: Just the newest model's apparently :(

ray6712

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
StL
It won't be an A15.
it could be ready remember Samsung has their A15 capable processor ready and also TSMC has been pushing a next generation 28nm processor already shipping for Qualcomm more advanced than the S4 so it very well could be

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
This is likely the reason why all the Mac laptops this year were updated to USB 3.0. It would be a real shame to release a whole new connector with no USB 3.0. Imagine how that would look in a few years..... Ick!
I am pretty sure the new idevice plans were not the reason why the new MacBooks came with USB 3. More like USB 3 was not available on the previous designs(chip sets used by Apple) and there was zero reason to cripple the USB port to USB 2 specs when USB 3 was now available as a default standard.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I am pretty sure the new idevice plans were not the reason why the new MacBooks came with USB 3. More like USB 3 was not available on the previous designs(chip sets used by Apple) and there was zero reason to cripple the USB port to USB 2 specs when USB 3 was now available as a default standard.
You can bet they went hand in hand. Sandy Bridge was 100% available with USB 3.0, yet people were up in arms here that it was USB 2.0 only on the Mac side.

jaysen

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
OP should change title until it can be confirmed... I see no reason Apple would push for 3.0 especially when they are pushing iCloud.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
You can bet they went hand in hand. Sandy Bridge was 100% available with USB 3.0, yet people were up in arms here that it was USB 2.0 only on the Mac side.
Intel's chips didn't get native USB support till ivy bridge.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I agree. I think it would make more sense to see 802.11ac before USB 3. Not on this iPhone though, a few generations down the road I think.
USB 3 is already ubiquitous; ac is barely a standard. USB 3 will come first.

I do agree with you though that ac would be more useful on an iPhone than USB 3. But the required infrastructure has to be there.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
USB 3 is already ubiquitous; ac is barely a standard. USB 3 will come first.

I do agree with you though that ac would be more useful on an iPhone than USB 3. But the required infrastructure has to be there.
USB 3 can function as a selling point though. A big one. That can be the next big thing, no matter how stupid it would be. So what if you can sync your music a little faster?

ac can be a selling point too. ASUS is coming out with a laptop supporting ac draft 2. That's a nice selling point even though the routers to utilise it are few and far between. Apple 802.11ac Airport Express and Time Capsule can solve this.

bushman4

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
What would be the big benefit of USB 3.0 in the new Iphone connector???
The phone wouldn't charge any faster. Apple is pushing Apple TV and Icloud, the new ATV has hdmi and Icloud speaks for itself.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
No I do not think that is true, i am fairly certain USB 3 came available to Apple only with Ivy Bridge and as i said, it was there, why not use it And with Apple pushing wifi sync, ICloud and iTunes match what would be the point of USB 3? Oh so your phone syncs faster on the rate occasion you need too and for that they planned all their hardware release schedules and specs for the past two years? Ummm no I don't think so. It's a reach to say the least...

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
With most of their laptops and computers now coming with USB 3.0 as a standard now, I'd be willing to bet that the new iPhone will be compatible with USB 3.0.