New iPhone with no computer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drguitarum2005, Sep 20, 2012.

1. drguitarum2005 macrumors newbie

Howdy yall,
    I should be getting my iPhone 5 pretty soon here in the next few days but have a problem. I do not have access to a computer. I understand with iCloud most of my stuff can be transferred but I have 15-20 gigs of music that obviously isn't being synced to iCloud. Are there any ways of transferring everything on my current iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5 without my own computer? Unfortunately I don't have admin access on my work computer so I can't install iTunes. Thanks!

2. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I would consider syncing all that music to icloud. Get extra storage.

After all, what would happen if you phone crashed, stolen, lost, etc and you have no backup?

3. NismoRoadster macrumors regular

NismoRoadster

No, music on the iPhone cannot be pull out unless u have special software which still requires a computer.

4. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

can you backup to iCloud but make it exclude music?

5. cotak macrumors regular

Yes

6. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

7. mactmaster macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure iCloud does not backup music. It is able to restore purchases from the iTunes store but stuff synced over from iTunes will need to be added back through iTunes. Correct me if I am wrong.

8. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Can you subscribe to iTunes Match? Do it on your current phone, it will match everything you have, then on your new phone it will all be available in the cloud...? Haven't used it myself so not sure.

There is no way to load you own music into your phone's Music library without a computer, I don't think.

9. drguitarum2005 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can most likely install a little program on my work computer that can pull the music OFF my iPhone 4...perhaps there is a roundabout way of using similar software to put it back on? Music is my only real concern. Everything else should be synced with iCloud etc.

I guess I can clarify a little...
    I DO have a laptop, an original Core Duo Macbook that everything is synced to but I only sync that once every couple months (the only music I've added to my phone in the past 2 years I bought on iTunes so I can always get that back). The problem is my MacBook is about 6 hours away. I suppose I can use my iPhone 4 with no SIM card as my iPod until I can get back to my laptop to take care of everything.

Thanks guys!

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

iTune Match is probably going to be your best bet**, although I honestly don't see how one can live without a tangible computer. My recommendation? get a cheap laptop PC... they can be had for around $350, or much cheaper than that during Black Friday, which is just around the corner. Alternatively, you can get an older Mac, if you are an OSX fan used for about that ballpark.

** The issue with iTunes match is that it requires iTunes to upload the songs. If you buy the songs on iTunes via your phone they will "save"to match, but anything you currently have, namely songs not from iTunes, will require a computer with iTunes and all of your tracks on it. From there on out, so long as you are buying everything from iTunes, you should, in theory, never NEED a computer again.

11. dgstan macrumors 6502a

Try iDump or SharePod to get your music off your current phone. Both programs are just simple .exe files, so maybe you could run it on your work computer (i.e. No install needed).

Getting it back onto your new phone without iTunes? I dunno.

http://www.escsoft.com/idump.php

http://www.getsharepod.com/download/

12. kalexn macrumors 6502

Is all of your music from itunes? Or did you at one time have a computer? All purchases made from itunes are available in your music (as long as you use the same itunes account) without having to store them in your cloud since they do not go to your cloud storage.

iTunes match is for any music you load from a cd. I have itunes match and love it since all my songs are available on all my devices, even ones I originally did not buy from the itunes store. If this is the case if you could use a computer one time and sign up for match and get them all loaded onto your cloud account (again, it does not go to your storage), then that would be your best bet.