new iphone's design

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhalandrew, May 1, 2012.

?

If the next iPhone looks the same...

1. i will buy it

27 vote(s)
    34.2%
  2. i will keep my current phone and wait for a re-design/switch to another kind of phone

52 vote(s)
    65.8%
  1. iPhalandrew macrumors member

maybe it's just me, but is anyone else going to be extremely disappointed if the next iphone looks identical to the 4 and 4S? i'm really hoping it's a complete re-design.

2. ANinjaPeanut macrumors member

I'll post exactly what I posted in a similar thread about this.

Times are changing and Apple designers & Apple as a company should be paying attention to this; the general consensus on the internet (from polls I've seen) is that 4"+ is a much better screen size than 3.5"
    Most of the people that say "3.5" is perfect" are just apologists, if Apple had started with a 2" screen they'd argue that that was perfect as well.

Personally, I'll be waiting until the keynote to decide if I upgrade to the iPhone or to a different device, LTE only as an upgrade is a no-go for me as I'm in the UK. However, a redesign with a bigger screen? I'd consider it then.

3. NewtonApple macrumors member

If Apple introduces a phone that is the same in size as the 4 and 4S, they WILL see a migration of some of it's users.

Apple is in a no win situation but I am betting on a slightly larger screen/device as many less will leave and they will even gain users with a larger screen.

For me the iPhone is not "cutting edge" enough to keep putting up with the tiny 3.5" screen:eek:

INCOMING!:p

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You've seen actual photos? Nice.

5. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

6. macMD macrumors 6502

macMD

If they go edge to edge and increase the screen size that way and make the phone out of liquid metal and ditch the easily broken glass back and add LTE and A5X or better then its worth it.

If its the same design as the last two and only gets LTE then, meh, its not worth it.

7. andyx3x macrumors 65816

Hold on. Let me go back and check on what I voted on the 250 previous polls regarding the same thing. I'll be back in a minute.

8. Bear macrumors G3

Like most polls, this one is not worth much. What if the person responding only has a 3GS or a 4 and not a 4s? Then they will probably upgrade no matter what.

Polls are statistics and most statistics are rather meaningless without the full context. With the right questions, polls can be slanted to the answers the poll giver is looking for.

9. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

I have a 4 and will likely NOT upgrade to the next generation if the design and screen size remain the same. My wife has the same 4 and feels the same about a redesign, so your assumption may not be as global as you predict.

10. Bear, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012

Bear macrumors G3

You're right, I should've said there's more of a chance for an upgrade as they are more likely to be eligible for contract renewal pricing. People with a 4s definitely will still be under contract if they got a 2 year contract.

However my point about polls is still valid.

11. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

What????? I am just going to assume you made an account on here to advertise your baby carriers.

12. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

they're going to keep the exterior steel antenna at the very least. they've been very big on this feature, claiming it is top of the line technology that nobody else uses. They won't dump that

my expectation is a similar design with a larger screen

13. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I bought a used 4 rather than get the 4S (only because my 3Gs was on it's last legs) and I'll not get the next one either, if it has the same small size screen.

The other phone makers have moved way past where Apple was two years ago with the iPhone 4 and one of them is waiting for me (if I can even wait all the way to October again).

14. ppilone macrumors 6502

"Apologists" is a strong word. I'm ok with a bigger screen but I'm not ok with a bigger phone. The people saying "3.5 is perfect" may in fact be defending the size of the phone more than the size of the screen.

15. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

If this next iPhone is not anything short of a blockbuster, with a "wow" factor akin to the feeling I felt with the original iPhone, I will be SHOCKED!!

They have been working on this next launch for a couple years....I'd bet as far back as 3GS-4. This next phone was SJ's "special" project that he dedicated the majority of his time to. He was "obsessed" with this next version. Even working on the day before he passed. I have a feeling this is going to a game changer. And whatever it is, it's for sure going to be a cult classic.

16. chuges macrumors member

I love the way my iphone 4 looks and feels.

That being said, I'll be extremely disappointed if the next revision is exactly the same. What would the design team have been working on for the past 2 years??

I don't think that'll happen though. The mobile market is advancing so quickly with Samsung, HTC, motorola and nokia pushing out new models all the time that apple won't have the hubris to stay with a 2 year old design. (i hope)

17. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

omg thank you

18. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Ditto!

19. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

I am hoping for a re-design but I will buy the "next" iPhone regardless as I have skipped the 4s.

20. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

If they don't do a redesign, I will most likely keep my 4 and not upgrade the iOS. The only thing I would like now is Siri. LTE is "eh" for me.