"new" iPod Touch? -> That´s it??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Francois22, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Francois22 macrumors newbie

wow,...you can control the volume... that´s it?
    i´m ****in disappointed,...

2. Dublo7 macrumors regular

It's not exactly ideal for an upgrade (from 1g to 2g), but it's nice if you're just buying a Touch.

3. graemesangels macrumors member

While it wasn't a mind blowing upgrade it did include more than just volume buttons (50% longer battery life, nike+, volume buttons, new svelte design, inclusion of v2.1, and price drops of about $100 per model).

I can't see many touch users upgrading but it does give someone who was on the fence previously more reasons to consider it.

4. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Can you provide me the proof where it will get 50% better battery life than the gen 1's?

5. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

6. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

How about you watch the goddamn conference? It's mentioned in the first couple minutes of the new touch introduction.........

7. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

You must have a lot of class to use that language. I guess anyone can be tough on the internet.

I asked a simple question. If you don't like it then ignore it.

8. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

what would you want in the touch without pricing out of its market? i personally think the speaker is a feature to far, with a lot of kids buying these buses will get a lot more annoying lol

9. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

yeah reallllll classy.

we love people like you here on macrumors!

10. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

The old Touch could do 22hrs of audio and 5hrs video.

The new one can play 36hrs of audio and 6hrs video.

36/22= 164% (64% better)
    6/5= 120% (20% better)

So it is over 50% better at playing music, but only 20% better with movies. If the battery was 50% better, everything (like video) would see a minimum of 50% better run time.

CONCLUSION: The battery is better, but only slightly. Power saving design improvements have been made to allow music to play using less energy.

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

And a speaker. :)

Agree.

Personally, I would call that a significant improvement.

Audio --> 64% improvement

Video --> 20% improvement

All the while keeping it thin. :)

12. ricartedor macrumors member

I would just check the fine print, apple now says that battery life testing was performed with the touch associated with a Wi-Fi network - i dont think this was true with the old touch, and it isn't true for the iPhone 3G either which it specifically says had Wi-Fi inactive.

13. aethelbert macrumors 601

What did you expect out of it? Just because a bunch of armchair CEOs on the internet decide that GPS, camera, and a missile launcher are all coming on an iPod doesn't mean that it's gonna happen. Pretty typical update for iPods, especially taking into account what the iPhone got in June.

14. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

With the exception of the nano what other ipod featured a huge upgrade from the last one? If the touch didnt have upgradeable firmware then the 2g would be a lot more special (like additional apps would have been a huge update).

15. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

All I ask is that they stretch the screen and move the home button to the side. Is that so hard?

Oh does anyone know when an actual MAJOR update like the nano is going to come? I'm going to stick with my 1g until then.

16. Funplex macrumors regular

Im kinda glad because I don't feel so outdated with a gen 1 touch. Ditto for a friend who JUST bought their touch like-- yesterday.

17. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I think the update to the touch was nice. Why isn't anyone complaining about the update to the classic. It was a downgrade in capacity and it didn't get any of the features the iPod nano did, no accelerometer or genius lists, nothing. If anything this just shows that the classic is being phased out :( I guess I need to grab one while I can.

EDIT: oops. I guess there is a genius feature for the classic, but still no accelerometer.

18. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

You'll have a long wait. A small device like the Nano is trivial to improve, mainly by making it (or it's screen) bigger. The Touch's 3.5" screen is about as big as it could get and still be shirt-pocketable. The new touch has been changed about the only way they could. They made it thinner. They won't get much thinner as then there wouldn't be enough thickness for the dock connector/headphone jack.

19. saxman macrumors 6502

The touch and the iphones are platforms - and in distictly different spheres. I can't see them giving the touch the same physical features as the iphone. What would be the appeal of the phone if the touch was physically the same sans the monthy cost? It would be interesting though if Apple was the cell carrier.

20. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

It would still be pocketable with a larger screen. No changing the size just filling in the space where the top black part and home button is.

I'm not too concern with other features people keep begging for like cameras,mics etc. Because I think someone somewhere will make add-ons.

I didn't get the classic downgrade either when I was reading a liveblog I thought they missed typed then I did a search and found out its correct.

EDIT: It seems to me Steve Jobs has a skinny fetish.

21. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Why is everyone complaining that there's no camera, or no GPS, or no whatever? Apple will not add a camera or GPS to the iPod Touch; they don't want it to get too close to the iPhone in features. The iPod Touch isn't meant to do all the things the iPhone does like camera and GPS, it's supposed to be an iPod and a apps and games device. Why would you need GPS anyway? You would have to be connected to WiFi to get directions, and if you're using GPS to go somewhere, you aren't likely to find WiFi hotspots everywhere.

22. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

The touch screen could use a major update, its pretty low resolution for its size. The are japanese phones with smaller screens and resolutions almost twice as high. But apple cant really update its screen anyways because of third party apps designed for a single resolution. They should at least bump the contrast though.

23. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Examples please.

Reference please.

24. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I don't have a reference, but I know for a fact that the apps would need to at least be updated to be able to run on a screen with higher resolution.

25. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

His point was mainly what Japanese screens are higher in resolution than the iPod Touches? It's already at 160ppi! That's a lot more dense (more than twice) than the computer your typing on. If it gets any more so it'll be hard to tell and be a waste of money. It's already hard to read text on the thing when your zoomed out even though the text is crisp and clear. Personally, I think it looks great.