New iPod?

AWishForNoOne

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2003
I know this has been overdone but I was wondering what people's predictions are for the next iPod or iDigitalDevice and when they think that it will be coming out? ( I've been waiting to get one... even though they're really good already.)

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
the only possibility i see would be firewire 800, but i heard that the ipod's hard drive wouldn't be able to handle that fast of transfers...so i kind of doubt any changes to the ipod in the near future...and no other devices

digital1

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2002
Wisconsin
I will take a stab at this. I think at most bigger Hard Drives, and Color screens. Perhaps we will see the ability to do more with data input into the device(bad shot in the dark, I know)
Just my 2 cents.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Go buy an iPod. i did two days ago and i love it. The odds of them implimenting a color screen (it's make it bigger and more expensive) are very small, and there are currently no larger 1.8" drives on the market. Firewire 800 is NOT going to happen until drives get fast enough to use all of the bandwidth of firewire 400, which could be a while.

I think the people expecting an iPod update are in for a disappointment. At most, i could see a software update for it. I'd kill to have the ugly font Chicago off of it, replaced by Skia or something...

:)
pnw

vanillamike

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I am hoping for the same thing, a reduced price and maybe AAC suuport on the iPod. Anyone out there have an inside track on any revisions? I hear rumors of Jan. 25th with iLife but I am skeptical. I want a 20 GB iPod so badly I can taste it, I mean hear it :D

Mike

cliffm

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2002
Orlando, FL
I just ordered a 20 gigger and now am wishing I would've waited a bit more. Releasing an updated ipod the same day as Ilife make sense. Maybe we will see Aluminum Ipods? Or peraps a backlit one? :p How about diferent colored Ipods? Its kinda boring with all of them being white :eek:

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
I doubt that the iPod will get a color screen anytime soon. I could be wrong but. I think that the color screen would be neat, but I don't think that it needs to be on there. I would think that it would raise prices. And I don't want the prices to go up any more. I am hoping for some price drops on Jan. 25, because I would really like to have an iPod. I guess I will wait and see what happens.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by cliffm
I just ordered a 20 gigger and now am wishing I would've waited a bit more. Releasing an updated ipod the same day as Ilife make sense. Maybe we will see Aluminum Ipods? Or peraps a backlit one? :p How about diferent colored Ipods? Its kinda boring with all of them being white :eek:
Backlight like...what? like the whole case lights up? no thanks, i like my battery drain just the way it is :) the screens themselves are already backlight, you know :)

and isn't AAC support done through software?

pnw

rideahyperLite

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2003
i have a 20 giger and i love it, the only thing i would change on it is the font and the back. i hate the chrome, although it looks nice its hard to keep fingerprints off it. titanium would be nice.

MacKid

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2003
Well. . .

Backlit controls like the 17" PowerBook Keyodard.
In my opinion, in the dark, it's not hard to feel my way around 5 different buttons. . . Sounds more like a niché thing to me, it would simply drain the battery and the affordability. . .:(

superkatalog

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2002
switzerland
How about the ability to record? an on board mic for recording lectures? Good for sleeping in class :eek:
yes, yes, yes! line in, mic in, and a built in mic!! please!!!!!! that would make it the perfect device for me! but i think i will buy one anyway sooner or later....

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
Maybe we will see Aluminum Ipods? Or peraps a backlit one? :p How about diferent colored Ipods? Its kinda boring with all of them being white :eek:
Aluminum iPods would probably be neat looking, but I still like the looks of the white iPod. I don't really think that the white is boring.

cliffm

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2002
Orlando, FL
Well, Apple sent me email stating my 20gig Ipod was delayed until the 22nd.

With the 5 gig Ipod being delyed on thier site.. hmmm

Something is going on over there.

pmh

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2003
Hear no evil

What I'd like to see is the ability to record (the lecture) while I'm goofing off listening to something more interesting...

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
OLED

I would like to see Apple make use of OLED or some other new high res, low power consumption display technologies...

these techs are best used in small devices like mobiles phones and ... IPOD!!!

will

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2002
Originally posted by CrackedButter
A BIOS update that allows the ipod to read ogg files would be nice.
Yes, that would be very nice. Should be quite doable, and I believe Apple are building ogg support into QT (you can already add it yourself).

As has already been suggested audio would be nice. How about date tagging audio and typing it back to iCal when you sync? Record a meeting etc.

el_aarono

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2002
USA
iPod with PDA like features

I know some folks won't be too excited about this but I would like to see an

iPod with a touch sensitive screen and a stylus so calendars, contacts, and

to-do-lists could be updated on the iPod throughout the day. I guess it

would just become a PDA that plays MP3's but it would be much better than

any of the other similar items on the market today.

pmh

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2003
iPOD with Bluetooth

Now that would be REAL nice. Trade music with a PB/12,15,17 or other BT enabled iPOD's. Of course these music sources would be auto-discovered using rendezvous, and perhaps advertise what music they were willing to share.... So you walk into a room, and can "see" the other iPOD's via Bluetooth and Rendezvous. An negotiate music transfers with them. All wireless of course.

Oh yeah.

Akira

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2002
The Netherlands
Re: iPOD with Bluetooth

Originally posted by pmh
Now that would be REAL nice. Trade music with a PB/12,15,17 or other BT enabled iPOD's. Of course these music sources would be auto-discovered using rendezvous, and perhaps advertise what music they were willing to share.... So you walk into a room, and can "see" the other iPOD's via Bluetooth and Rendezvous. An negotiate music transfers with them. All wireless of course.

Oh yeah.
nice idea, but Bluetooth is slower than usb 1.1, so music transfers will take forever (well, not forever, but when you're used to fireweire it's really really really slow)