Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Despite possibly receiving iPods sometime this week, it appears that stores are limited from selling iPods until after 6pm on May 2nd. A significant stock of new iPods is expected to be in place by this time.

Apple retailers will be holding specical retail events on May 2nd to promote the sales of the new iPods.

Several users have noted that only the new iPods will sport iPod Software 2.0, while the old iPods can only be upgraded to iPod Software 1.3 -- which provides AAC support, but lacks several software enhancements, such as new games and on-the-go playlists which are provided in iPod Software 2.0.

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
Originally posted by Freg3000
Wait.....what's iPod software 2.0? Just a future version that may come out?

it is out, but only on the new ipods. The old ones only support up to 1.3. The difference is the games and a few other things.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
I'm still assuming (and, yes, hoping) that Apple will make iPod software 2.0 available on Friday.
Version 1.3 was probably released just so iTunes 4 downloads would be compatible before the new iPods are available.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by maxterpiece
it is out, but only on the new ipods. The old ones only support up to 1.3. The difference is the games and a few other things.

Ah, I understand. 1.3 was just for AAC then? And 2.0 is for all the new features on the new iPods?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by pyrotoaster
I'm still assuming (and, yes, hoping) that Apple will make iPod software 2.0 available on Friday.
Version 1.3 was probably released just so iTunes 4 downloads would be compatible before the new iPods are available.

I'm sorry if the new post wasn't clear.

New iPods => iPod Software 2.0

Old iPods => iPod Software 1.3

the old ipods won't be able to upgrade to 2.0

arn

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado

Seems like a possible, but not quite realistic hope. It would be unlike apple to release 2 software upgrades for the essentially same thing in the same week. My money's on 2.0 being for the new iPods, and 1.3 being as close to it as the old iPod can handle.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
I understand that there's a very real possibility that Apple won't release 2.0 for existing iPods, but there also appears to be no real reason.

Both models have the same number of buttons, and there doesn't appear to be any incompatible hardware issues.

We'll just have to wait and see, but I still wouldn't be surprised if Apple still provides 2.0 support for older iPods.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I understand that there's a very real possibility that Apple won't release 2.0 for existing iPods, but there also appears to be no real reason.

Both models have the same number of buttons, and there doesn't appear to be any incompatible hardware issues.

We'll just have to wait and see, but I still wouldn't be surprised if Apple still provides 2.0 support for older iPods.

Here's an "official" post by an Apple person indicating otherwise.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@214.avldawdxkcL.4@.3bc22c6e

thefong

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2003
I ordered my ipod on mon and through tuesday accorrding to the apple store, the ipods would be delievered friday afternoon to the shipping address. I just pray they didnt get it mixed up cause Im going to be one place on friday, where I got the ipod shipped, and then another place all next week and I want my ipod....

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
That shut me up (for now, at least)

Originally posted by arn
Here's an "official" post by an Apple person indicating otherwise.
Thanks for the link, arn. I'm still holding out hope (because I don't want to hold out my wallet).

Alas, perhaps it's time to replace my 5 GB iPod (I just need to find about $200 first :rolleyes: ).

psxndc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
how long till rev2?

Typically, I try to avoid rev1 of a product (not just apple's; I avoid any rev1 product). How long is it usually before apple says "that was rev1, this is rev2"? I'm not looking for the next update to the iPod, just the next iteration of the current/new ones. Or is it usually the next update _is_ rev2?

Thanks in advance,
-p

Monkeypoo

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2003
90 - 30
you're still gonna wait?!?

It took this long (since july of last year) to get the new models in and now you're going to wait for another revision? You must not really want this product to have waited. I've wanted one since they first ever came out but my old computer didnt' have firewire and buying my new computer was much higher on the priority list. And I gave up waiting a couple weeks ago and bought a digital camera with the money I set aside for the ipod. So while I applaud weakly your determination to wait (glad to see that you don't want a mutated ipod that does things one gets on a PDA...or at least didn't list it in this post), my only reason to wait now is to save up the money again. I theoretically have the money if I don't eat or buy any nonessentials but I need to let the excitement from my camera wear off a little first so that I can have a clear vision of my bank balance. Have fun waiting!

psxndc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
you misunderstand...

I'm not asking for the next update, I'm asking when is the next batch off the assembly line? The one that will fix the issues the first batch will invariably have... I can't wait a whole year for one. Let's be reasonable and realistic here. :)

-p

Monkeypoo

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2003
90 - 30
oohhhh...

Well, that is much better. I think I never really had to worry about that since by the time I saved up money for the product, it's been out long enough for such fixes to occur. I wonder how long it will take for battery problems to surface...

off topic (no comments required, just sharing): I personally wish that belkin adaptor used NiMH batteries since I already have some for my camera and I wouldn't have to switch them out as often (i'm guessing the ipod will eat alkalines fast just like digicams have them for snacks). Of course, it certainly makes it less of a pocket player.

jhoskins

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2001
2.0 iPod hardware

I don't understand why people keep saying this. Their must be something different on the hardware side. Sure it has the same number of buttons, but the same iPod will now work with Macs & Windows at the same time. Seems to me that this might be a hardware change.

John.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
NO!! There will be NO iPod version 2 software for older iPods, stop kidding yourselves.

Apple are ****** us over.

I bought a iPod, and I'll be buggered if I'm going to spend another $CA700 more money to get the latest software.

There is little reason why apple can't release v2 software for the older iPods.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Originally posted by thefong
I ordered my ipod on mon and through tuesday accorrding to the apple store, the ipods would be delievered friday afternoon to the shipping address. I just pray they didnt get it mixed up cause Im going to be one place on friday, where I got the ipod shipped, and then another place all next week and I want my ipod....

Yeah, what's with the "order today and have it by friday" claim at the apple store? I ordered on Mon. eve., and my order is still "open" with shipping not set for next Mon.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC

Seems teh more important question is whether Apple will continue to update the ipod software past 1.3. It would be pretty crappy to stop improving that software as other features get added. Or at least they should insure that iTunes whatever will continue to be compatible with IPod 1.3.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
i'm sure we will atleast see 1.3.xxx i think the point is that it will never goto 2.0 with 1.0 software and that makes me sad. my hope now relies on the good people of the internet altough although cracking apple stuff is tough i hold the hope that one day, some random kid will figure out how to put 2.0 software on a 1.0 device and get the word out fast enough
b4 he gets shut down.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Alarm Clock!

How is the new alarm clock feature supposed to wake you up? Do you have to have your headphones in your ears all night? Or does the new iPod have a tiny speaker inside?
I guess you could hook it up to external speakers, but I presume that one would use the alarm feature on vacation or away from home. And I wouldn't take speakers with me on vacation just to have an alarm clock. You may as well just take an alarm clock!

tYNS

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by Le Big Mac
Seems teh more important question is whether Apple will continue to update the ipod software past 1.3. It would be pretty crappy to stop improving that software as other features get added. Or at least they should insure that iTunes whatever will continue to be compatible with IPod 1.3.

Okay.. my thought on Apple's stand on no iPod OS 2 for older iPods... I am pissed because I, like many, just recently purchased my iPod. This is a reoccuring theme with me and apple.. The last major purchase was my B&W yosemite G3 .. one month after I bought it the G4's came out.. what a crock.

But what I realized with apple is that they do not just halt on the products. I am VERY greatful they put out iPod OS 1.3 .. AAC is great.. It is too bad I don't have on the go playlists, but.. what the hell.. I can program my own on the computer... Honestly.. I think it would be very tedious scrolling through a tons of menus anyways. In iTunes you just drag and drop.

As far as my G3 goes... I still am using it (even with my iPod right now) OS X is running on it quiet well and it still zooms along. It is 4 years old, and never had a problem! try and get that much life out of a PC. 4 years ago in the PC world was pentium II-233 era. Crap.. you would be lucky to get win98 to run on that thing at a good speed. WinXP? no way.

No solitaire on your iPod? who cares.. that is what Windows is for. :)

I am just so greatful they have AAC support... not all is lost.. the iPod still works great... and it does what it is supposed to do .. play music... and DAMN well at that. So stop grovelling... Apple will definitely keep supporting the old iPods if there are know firmware troubles with it.

If they don't give us those very little exra features .. so what.. it doesn't hinder its ability to play music. There is obviously limitations somewhere with the older iPod hardware.

You guys have the best MP3 (and now AAC) player on the market. Be happy and enjoy the hell out of it..

Besides we have one thing those new ipod owners won't have... A nicer interface layout.. I for one do not like the new interface.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.