Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

New iPods, New Apple Music Service

madforrit

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Berkeley, CA
Music Store

Pretty cool store...I could see myself spending quite a bit here...

I'm getting lots of errors...can't browse the store very effectively yet. Anyone else having these problems?

Can't wait to pick up an ipod on Friday...:D

Comment

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Will the new iPod software allow on-the-fly playlists and ratings on old iPods (2nd generation) or just the new ones? I can't find a solid answer on that...

Comment

Java

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2003
Marin County (where else?)
so far so gooooood

Just downloaded a copy of iTunes 4. One thing I did notice was the type looked a little difference. Anyway, the new iTunes store is awesome. Previews to the songs play effortlessly and with no delay.

A good thing they did keep was the ability to rip your music in mp3, not just in the new AAC format.

Two thumbs up for Steve and Apple!:D

Oh ya, and it is only for Apple users!

Comment

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
Re: New iPods, New Apple Music Service

Originally posted by Macrumors
Apple's Media Event has completed and brings us many of the rumored updates:

A play-by-play of the speech is provided here.

In brief, Apple introduced:

- iTunes 4
- iTunes Music Store
- New iPods (10, 15, and 30GB) - with Dock and redesigned face.

A more extensive article / rumor wrapup will be posted shortly.

Are the files that we rip our selves going to have the Digital rights managment limits too, or is it going to apply to the music we get from the store only?

Comment

mk_in_mke

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2003
Milwaukee, WI
So... What about the limitations?

Can someone explain the concept of "play on a maximum of 3 macs"... ?

Besides, I am waiting this evening to browse through the catalogue and hopefully I will find some songs... I already have several thousands CD's...

MK

Comment

Thresher

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2002
AppleMusic

Sorry, but AppleMusic is a non-starter for me.

A buck a song isn't that much less than we pay now per song on CD. Additionally, any restrictions on my use of a downloaded song is a killer. Yes, this is less restrictive than most, but why should I pay a buck a song and then be told what I can and can't do with the music I purchased, especially when I can rip one of the CDs in my collection and play it anywhere and any device I like?

Steve gave a lot of reasons why he thinks this will take off. I don't agree with him. The pricing point is too high and the restrictions are ridiculous. This is not going to convert people that are already downloading music unlawfully. In fact, I don't think it's much better than the services already available, it's just a different spin.

Color me unimpressed (although I do like the new iPods).

Comment

madforrit

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Berkeley, CA
Re: Re: New iPods, New Apple Music Service

Originally posted by jethroted
Are the files that we rip our selves going to have the Digital rights managment limits too, or is it going to apply to the music we get from the store only?

Oooooohhh DRM SO better be limited to what we buy at the Music Store. It would make sense that way. Otherwise it would just be a sneaky sneaky thing....

Comment

jcaplan

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2003
Boise, ID
US only

Too bad for me....

Attachments

• country.jpg
    country.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 7,475
Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Wow! Another fun-filled Apple announcement spectacular!

Some thoughts:

(1) What does it cost to buy an album? 99 cents times the number of tracks? Some CDs have a lot of short tracks while others are one big track.

(2) How is the iTunes Music Store going to take off without Windows users for the next 10 months? Will it really take Apple all year to make something like iTunes for Windows or do they purposely want to make it a Mac-only solution to try to get people to switch?

(3) Let's face it. Some music is worth more than other music. How long can they charge 99 cents for each song before the nature of supply and demand kicks in and they start charging 50 cents for bargain music (less popular) and more for the newly released feature-enhanced hot title? Or does supply and demand not apply to digitized music because the supply is infinite? If Elvis returned from the dead and got a billion-dollar recording contract, wouldn't his music need to cost more than music by other artists?

Personal note: Apple showed an infomercial with Alanis Morissette. Last week she was in a recording studio the day before I visited that same studio. Too bad I didn't go a day earlier and bump into her. Maybe I could have learned about it early and had a big scoop to report!

Comment

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
Re: Music Store

Originally posted by madforrit
Pretty cool store...I could see myself spending quite a bit here...

I'm getting lots of errors...can't browse the store very effectively yet. Anyone else having these problems?

Can't wait to pick up an ipod on Friday...:D

Me too. All I can get is the home page for the music service. Everything else I try times out and gives an error 504 or an error 405.

Comment

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
New iPods... I like...

I like all the features at apple.com/ipod/ ... though it seems that there is no method for text input (yet)... so after having synched it with iCal at home, I can't put in the lunch date I made while I was out... otherwise, it looks really good!!

Comment

Athos

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2003
The music store seems to have a good selections and iTunes 4 rocks!!!

Only problem: I'm in Canada... when will I be able to buy from the music store :mad:

At least I'll be able to re-rip my music collection in AAC with iTunes to pass the time...

---
Athos
New mac owner of an iBook 800MHz 12" with 10.2.5

Comment

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Very, very cool.

Sweet - twice the space on the low-end iPod. I may have to get myself one of those 10GB. Does the 10GB still come with the controls on the headphones, or does it not anymore because now it's the "low end" model?

The music store is very cool. I am the ideal customer for it. For my entire life I have rarely bought music (probably less than 100 albums total). But I could see myself buying a lot more music from the iTunes Store, especially being able to preview every song. So it's win-win-win for me, Apple, and the Music Labels. $0.99 cents per song is great. I rarely like more than 2 or 3 songs on a CD so this is right up my alley. So the complaint that $0.99 a song is about the same price as a CD doesn't apply to me, since I'll be paying $2 or $3 for the songs I like enough to actually pay for on a CD.

Comment

stompy

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Wow, rumors were pretty much on target, I don't think I saw a single thing that wasn't reported on this site. Thanks Arn!

<sarcasm> I take that back! I just visited the Apple Store, and can't find the new 15" PowerBook anywhere. SJ, you messed up bigtime ! :mad: </sarcasm>

Comment

vanillamike

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I like the new iPods but I still don't like the drive sizes 10 15 30. I would much rather 10 20 30 (or 40).

$100 US for an extra 5GB to get to the 15GB model is pretty heavy. Makes me want to bite the bullet and put in $200 US to get and extra 20GB but that is a lot of coin for an MP3 player.

Anyone know if apple recalls the old iPods when the new ones come out? or is it a possibility for me to pick up an old 20GB somewhere at a reduced price.

Mike

Comment

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Ordered Already

Whilst I'm a bit pissed that I cannot use the iTunes Music Store (not in the US) I have already ordered my 30Gb iPod. This revision finally reached the point I've been waiting for - an iPod that can hold all my music. I got to the front page of the store and it looked pretty good but every request for anything further timed out.

Comment

holy MAC!

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2003
questions question

1) it appears there is only 1 ipod for the two platforms... does that mean it's interoperable?

2) the "optional" usb2 cable, can you use the firewire portion on that on a mac???

other than that.... 8 hour battery life..... oh well... you cut your losses.

Comment

mk_in_mke

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2003
Milwaukee, WI
Re: AppleMusic

Originally posted by Thresher
Sorry, but AppleMusic is a non-starter for me.

A buck a song isn't that much less than we pay now per song on CD. Additionally, any restrictions on my use of a downloaded song is a killer. Yes, this is less restrictive than most, but why should I pay a buck a song and then be told what I can and can't do with the music I purchased, especially when I can rip one of the CDs in my collection and play it anywhere and any device I like?.

You are right but... more and more, record companies are putting limitations on the CD's you are buying (check Virgin)... It is sad and clearly a limitation on what you can do with what you legally acquired... I have the impression that the more online services like Apple's are going to appear, the more the CD's will be coded so that no copy is possible

Michel

Comment

Shiesl

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2001
It would be nice if it worked.

I've been trying for the last hour to find out what's up at the AppleMusic site via iTunes 4. I mainly get a 504 error.

Comment

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
Originally posted by Doctor Q
Wow! Another fun-filled Apple announcement spectacular!

Some thoughts:

(1) What does it cost to buy an album? 99 cents times the number of tracks? Some CDs have a lot of short tracks while others are one big track.

I'm almost sure he said $10

I knew when I thought about it that it'd be US only with the likes of different record lables owning the rights to artists in different countries...also the like of different tax's etc.....dam. I wish you could use applemusic just like amazon, browse online instead of just using itunes...I was hoping i could waste away the hours on there listening to samples while i'm bored out of work, and how do windoze people know what they are missing if they can't access the system. Also if it was online then people could browse while away from home when they dont have access to a mac and possibly purchase it and transfer from that computer to your ipod. Was hoping for a comms device but oh well...the ipod looks cool, looks much thinner....

Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Re: questions question

Originally posted by holy MAC!
1) it appears there is only 1 ipod for the two platforms... does that mean it's interoperable?

2) the "optional" usb2 cable, can you use the firewire portion on that on a mac???

other than that.... 8 hour battery life..... oh well... you cut your losses.

Yes, one iPod works for either platform. Yes, you use the firewire interface with your Mac. Windows users must have either a firewire interface or a USB2 interface.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.