Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CmoranRVA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
A few minutes ago I was surfing the web on my phone and get a text from my friend, asking why I didn't answer his call. A quick review of my "missed calls" shows he tried to call about 2 minutes ago. Yet nothing popped up when he attempted the call. My home wifi signal is fine, and I just tried testing a call from my work phone to my iPhone, call popped up as normal.

This has happened several times, usually I'll get a pop up that I have a voicemail, but nothing popped up for the actual call. This is my second iPhone 5, returned the first due to randomly/unexplained drop in HSPA+ signal to EDGE, then right back to HSPA+.

New phone has shown similar behavior, went back to the Apple store, was told they had not heard of this issue and because they'd replaced the phone once, there was nothin they could do.

Considering just returning the phone and buying a 4s on Craigslist until Apple sorts this mess out.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Return - get another 5

Most dont have this problem - sure its not a software problem? Backup and restore?

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Happened with my 4 a few days ago. My mother was trying to call and it didn’t go through. So I went to her house and placed my phone in front of me and called it over 8 times. No dice. On the 9th one, it rang. No clue why.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wouldn't bother taking it back its a software glitch. If the calls been logged it got through maybe the phone didn't ring log enough to trigger the notification ie the network took to long to send the trigger and the phone didn't react as it was disconnecting as the signal to ring came through??

CmoranRVA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
I thought it could be a software issue, but combined with the cell signal and wifi signal issues I'm inclined to believe its hardware-related.

steve26

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2010
I'm having the same problem, plus failed outgoing calls. I upgraded from the iPhone 4. I never had trouble making or receiving calls from my home office with it. With the iPhone 5, phone doesn't ring, suddenly I get a voicemail notice! I've tried to call my phone from a landline and there's silence, then it goes to voicemail. Wife's iPhone 4 rings every time! Outgoing calls fail - even with 4 bars!

Acuraman01

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2012
No incoming calls

I have experienced the same problem. I will have a voicemail and no missed call. If there is no voicemail, I have no idea I even had a call! I can make outgoing calls fine. But I can call my phone 10 times and I am lucky if it rings 3 or 4 times. I am on my third iPhone 5! I have had the same problem on all 3. Apple says it must be Sprint and Sprint says I need to contact apple. Very frustrating.:mad:

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
I was having the same problem. Also I noticed on my at&t app under usage gf's phone had LTE data usage and time since updated and mine didn't. Ended up being the sim card was bad...

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I'm not sure if this is related, but I can't play some of my voicemails. Plus when I pressed the Home button and then go to the Phone app to either make a call or listen to voicemail, the screen just flickers. It won't allow me to press "speakerphone" or "voicemail". I have to wait 15-20 secs. before it goes back to normal. I have a 4S.

Jungle Jack

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Hello,
I have been having this issue sporadically as well. I do not think it is hardware as I actually drove 60 miles to the Apple Store to have mine switched out for a White Box.

In addition, sometimes iMessages and SMS's arrive hours and once 2 days after I sent them. On the phone side, my friends and family tell me it often rings twice and goes straight to Voicemail. I have a femtocell at my house and it seems it does most often occur away from my house. This never happened on any device I have used prior.
Cheers,
JJ

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I had this issue twice after uninstalling software that changed my conditional call forwarding settings. Even though the phone showed everything was back to normal I was missing *some* calls (straight to voicemail). I called AT&T and they reset my forwarding / voicemail settings and that solved the problem.

So before worring about hardware I'd check with your carrier to see if your configuration on their end is OK and even if they say it is ask if they will reset it. There wasn't anything I could do on my end to fix it.

BYW: The app was TrapCall where calls are rerouted through TrapCall's infrastructure so the caller's Caller ID shows up on your phone even if they blocked it. Very handy to find out who the middle school kids were that were calling me at all hours. I had a nice long chat with their dad and no more calls. Highly recommended.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.