New iTunes Terms of Service "clarification" - no more overseas app store purchases?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by khunsanook, Jun 17, 2009.

1. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

So, I just went to download OS 3.0 for my Touch and was confronted with a new Terms of Service agreement "clarification" in iTunes (as of June 16th). Like a lot of people I normally don't read Apple's TOS very closely, but this one started with "U.S. Sales Only" and since I live in Thailand, this immediately caught my eye.

I now understand that one is allowed to only make purchases from within the country listed in their iTunes account. Any purchase must also be made with a credit card issued by a bank in that country. Whether Apple really checks on this I doubt, though they do mention the possibility in the TOS.

Here's my problem. My credit cards are issued by U.S. banks, but I live in Thailand. Obviously I can switch my account info to reflect that I live in Thailand, but then I have no way to pay for purchases with a Thai-bank-issued credit card.

Thus, if I were to follow Apple's TOS, I can no longer make iTunes or App Store purchases until I return to the States which won't be for a looong while. So...no OS 3.0?!?!? hmmmmm....

Seems that this also clarifies that Apple does not allow international traveler purchases within iTunes as well. I'm assuming that all of this has to do with avoiding the mess of different taxes and duties that various countries charge for international purchases.

2. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

This totally sucks for me, too. Anyone know how to purchase Japan apps? I recently moved to Japan, though all of my apps were purchased in the US app store. So if I switch to Japan, I can't use my US apps? wtf

3. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

I think that Apple should have a universal category for apps buy it anywhere/use it anywhere.

4. walshlink macrumors regular

I have a U.S. bank account and live overseas...I have no problems buying apps, movies, TV shows, music, etc.

5. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

I have a US bank account and live overseas... I also have no problems buying apps, movies, TV shows, music, etc. from the US App Store. I want to buy apps from the Japanese iTunes App Store. Some apps specifically for Japan are not available in the US App Store. Like the Amazon.jp app. (The US Amazon Store doesn't deliver to Japan, the Japanese Amazon store does, obviously). This is just ONE example.