New Jersey Judge Rules Women Can Keep Fathers Out Of Delivery Room

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Mar 12, 2014.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I'm of two minds on this. I can see it being the women's body and their right to control their body (Roe v. Wade), but this does give a slap in the face to father's rights. I mean, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to see and witness the birth of your child, and it's heartbreaking to have that taken away, especially if you are the biological father.

I see both sides in this, but don't know of a positive outcome that could benefit both parents. Thoughts, everyone?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...s-women-can-keep-fathers-out-of-delivery-room
    BL.

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I think it's ultimately the women's decision, but it still makes her a vindictive witch to do so.

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

No information about the father, from whom the mother had broken up.

Possibly there is a reason for her actions, aside from being a "vindictive witch".

Making judgements about the individuals without knowing the whole story might be a bit ill considered.

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Without doubt.

He could be a controlling bastard, still trying to insinuate himself back into her life.

Frankly, I like this ruling. The best work Mohammad has done in some time.

:p

5. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Like I said, completely understandable here, which is why I am of two minds for it.

And I agree, we do not know the entire story here. But I would think that with a baby being brought into this world, they could put aside their issues for the sake of the child and celebrate the child being born. The child deserves at least that much.

BL.

6. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Why? This was not a loving partner. This was a man she didn't like. Would you enjoy having your ex with you for an 18-hour prostate exam?

No one. But no one. Has any right to be present for any other person's medical procedures. The very idea is absurd from a legal point of view.

The vindictive witch here is the man, not the woman.

7. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

That man, wanting to be there to see his child being born.

Bad example with the prostate, because it's just your prostate. It isn't yours and your ex's.

8. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Maybe. Where can I sign up for that?

9. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

This is a tough call for me. I can definitely see both sides of the issue.

But I wonder (because I don't know): if the woman doesn't want the father present at the birth, or thereafter, does the father still bear responsibility to the woman for child support?

Edit: I can definitely see some sensibility in this particular situation about simply keeping the man in the hallway rather than right in the room when the woman is delivering the baby. He can see the child once it's born. There's nothing special/pressing about witnessing your child emerge from the mother's womb, unless you have a relationship with said woman (my opinion of course). I think that aspect is a special experience for the man and woman to share, not for the father and child.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You do realize that they may use forceps, and a scalpel occasionally? :eek:

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Unless the guy was physically or verbally abusive, there is no reason besides being a vindictive witch to disallow the bio father to witness the birth. I believe every right should be given towards her to do so, but it speaks plenty about her character.

12. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

It's pretty well established law - you do not have rights over other people. If you don't have the right to keep someone who hates you away from your medical procedures you don't have any rights at all.

----------

You know nothing about her character. You know nothing about his character - but you're willing to prejudge hers.

And it's ultimately irrelevant. completely irrelevant. He could be a saint. She could be the worst woman to ever live. And she still has an ABSOLUTE right to keep him out of the delivery room.

I have to say - the attitudes of the men in this thread scare the absolute crap out of me.

13. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

That's quite the hyperbole.

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Did you even read my post or are you just replying out of blind compassion for the women? Cause I'm pretty sure I stated in both my posts I believe she has the right to do so. I also stated in my last post, if the man wasn't abusive, the decision to disallow him to witness the birth is vindictive.

15. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Nothing a few shots of Cuervo can't fix.

As for the OP, there needs to be more detail. If the dude beat her ass, yeah it's pretty obvious why he shouldn't be there.

If there is no previous grievous issue, and she's just being manipulative, then the judge is out line and the guy should be able to withhold all support in retaliation.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Pushing an 8 lb. baby out of your vagina ... a process that can take hours, and from what I've heard can be a wee bit painful and stressful, earns you the right to decide who gets to share that moment and who doesn't.

At least IMO.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

If she wants you there, you sure as Hell better be there for her, otherwise go buy some cigars.

18. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a weird ruling since the father only wanted to know when she went into labour and to have access to the child once it was born. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Once his sperm has left the paddock, his job is done.

He has no further claims on her unless he deserves them.

20. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I agree that the woman should be able to decide who she wants in the room during childbirth and if she wants the father there or not. It's her body and her medical treatment and she has the right to privacy.

But if the woman doesn't want the father present for the birth, the father shouldn't be responsible for child support.

21. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Even if the father is an *******, he still has the right to see his child, anything else is selfish BS.

Besides, what's the best distraction to contractions than seeing the bastard's face and blaming it all on him directly? Much cheaper than drugs.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Bizarre take.

What if he's in the waiting room?

What percentage of child support is he responsible for then?

23. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

My rambling, incoherent thoughts on this.....

1.) Someone should have been the bigger person here. A child is being born. If the father had a strong desire to be there to see the birth of his child and hadn't been a massive, massive tool bag in the time leading up to it, she should let him be there. If he had been a massive, massive tool bag.....he should have realized that and waited to see junior in the nursery. The fact that this wasn't handled by adults and instead went to court is just stupid.

2.) Couldn't they have done the delivery in an operating room and let him view from an area, perhaps an observation room, that was out of her sight? He could see the birth of his child while not being in the room. A video camera setup would have also sufficed.

3.) If she is going to deny him access to the birth does that mean he is clear to deny her child support payments going forward?

4.) Not having sex until they were married would have served these people well.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Agreed. Child support should be proportional to access.

----------

So would using contraceptive ;).