New Jobs Numbers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Feb 3, 2012.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Did you catch the February, 2009 date? Forgive the analogy, but I it seems to fit... If the economy is a large ship, when President Bush took over, we were full speed due North. He immediately began to slow down and turn the ship. When he left office, we were heading due South faster than we thought we could go. Not only has President Obama turned the ship around, but we have started to gain speed, and we are roughly back to where we were when he took office.

The GOP line of "things are worse than when he took office" may not work very well for much longer. If they can't ride the economy, are we going to see lots of social issues, abortion, flag burning and English as national language between now and the election? Or, are they going to try to convince people that things are a lot worse than they really are?

Before anyone says the numbers are worse than 8.3%, I know that. The linked article addresses that issue. In addition, I would expect the number to climb as soon as the people who had dropped out of the job search decide things are looking up enough to begin looking for work again. In addition, there are temporary jobs related to tax season which will likely be shed in late April/May. However, the expected job contraction related to the holidays didn't materialize, so there is hope.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

That's 22 months in a row of private sector job growth, not too shabby although we still have a long way to go. Wish the Republicans would get off their asses and pass a damn infrastructure bill and put some more people to work. This is spending that is sorely needed.

Must be hell at Romney campaign headquarters today. Bad things always happen in threes and so far we've had the Gingrich endorsement and these excellent job numbers. :D

4. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Link, please.

Or is that figure based upon the concept that just one new private sector job in a month with 100 jobs lost is nonetheless a month of "private sector job growth?"

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Where have you been? This chart must be posted in a dozen threads.

[​IMG]

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

These statistics are about as relevant as measuring bum droppings in central park. The president has very little control over what the economy is going to do, he doesn't make laws, he signs them. Obama hasn't really even put his back into any legislation besides the turd of a healthcare bill we received.

The bubble that caused the economic crisis was building long before Bush took office.

Also their measuring of discouraged workers dropping out of looking is ridiculous. Unemployment rate should be a calculation of how many workers of age in the market against those employed.

7. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Ironic - when unemployment is up and jobs are down it's Obama's fault. And when things start heading in a positive direction - Obama has nothing to do with it.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Was just about to post something similar.

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Let me guess. This all started with a Democrat. Am I right ?

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

It started with corporations lobbying the government as with most other problems facing the US. Congress is the issue, not the president. They are all a bunch of crooked bastards I wouldn't even invite in for dinner.

11. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Quoting this again because I was going to post the same exact thing.

Republicans blame Obama for EVERYTHING when something isn't going right, but if something good happens, Obama had nothing to do with it.

The Republicans need to cut the **** and try doing their jobs for once instead of just hating on Obama because he's black.

12. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Yep, only racist Republicans dislike Obama's policies.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

These statistics are relevant because the Republican clowns are campaigning on Obama not creating jobs and causing high unemployment. Whether it's true or not, they're making the claim that Obama is directly responsible for high unemployment numbers. Now that the numbers are on a downward trend, it's backfiring, and if they're going to claim he's responsible for high numbers, then he's responsible for dropping numbers too. They can't have it both ways.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Seriously 4 years of being president and likely 8 seeing what the republicans have offered and we are still playing the race card? Strangely my main issue with Obama is that he didn't do what he said he would and."change" the status quo in Washington. A couple months in he had already gave in and said "that's just how Washington is".

His second term I expect to be more eventful since he doesn't have to campaign or kiss ass.

15. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Well, what explanation do you have? It can't be his policies; they really aren't that far away from the Republicans, fiscal-wise, where compromise is completely off the table. His foreign policy would be envy of Ronald Reagan. However, Congressional Repubs act like he's giving the keys to the nuclear stockpile to the Mongol Horde.

We've eliminated every other reason for the Repub's intransigence. The only thing left is The Pepper In The White House Saltshaker.

Link?

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2012/02/03/whats-behind-the-unemployment-rate-drop/?mod=e2tw

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Republicans are already rationalizing the jobs numbers by saying if there was a Republican President the numbers would be better.

LOVE the spin machine.

18. eric/ Guest

eric/

People need to stop using jobs as a measure of economic success in today's day and age. The new reality is ~10% unemployment. Regardless of who is president.

19. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Democrats are already rationalizing Obama's loss by saying if there was a Republican President the votes would be racist.

LOVE the spin machine.

20. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

What loss ?

:confused:

21. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Although, the improvment and the jobs trend was a lot steeper prior to the 2010 election cycle. Since the GOP gained even more power to block everything, we have been stagnant or slowly growing. I would like the GOP to let the Democrats do what they want, then, criticize the results. As it is, they block everything, and then people who don't understand what's going on say that the President failed to keep his promises.

22. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Obama's upcoming presidential election loss.

Never too early to troll out the race card. [see above]

23. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

My comment was not "idiotic". It was based on what Newt Gingrich said today.

He IS a Republican.

24. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

He's black?? :eek:

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That is why I pulled my post. :)