iPad New leaked photo of the iPad Air 2 shows how thin it is

Discussion in 'iPad' started by chupachup, Aug 9, 2014.

1. chupachup macrumors 6502

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

Gold eh?

I like the gold iPhone but always felt like an iPad with a gold back would look pretty awkward. Wonder how the finished product will look.

3. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I don't know about the iPad, but the chair looks fake.

4. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

Do we really need a thinner iPad? If it is lighter I suppose that is good but I am personally not completely satisfied with the battery life of my iPad Air. I'd kind of like another big improvement there 1st. 12hr battery life like the MBA 13" would be nicer than a slightly thinner tablet.

I'll be sticking with the first gen iPad Air anyway but I sometimes wonder about Apple's priorities.

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

What's your issue with the battery life on the iPad Air? It easily does 12 hours already - I often exceed even that by wide margins. I don't want them to reduce it in order to make it thinner, but if it could stay the same, then yes, by all means, get me closer to a digital piece of paper!

6. sherlockeb macrumors newbie

What's your screen brightness?

7. Mechayoshi macrumors regular

Mechayoshi

I agree. Also it doesn't look that much thinner anyway. I'm more concerned about improvements hardware wise.

8. Bromio macrumors 6502

I really wanted it to be thinner. For me, thinness is a priority. In fact, I guess in the future tablets will be as thin as a piece of paper.

9. Rodster macrumors 68040

Same here. The Air's battery as well as the Mini's is pretty ridiculous.

I have mine set to auto.

10. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Same as above, set to Auto.

In general my iPad is one of the only battery devices I own where I'm near 100% satisfied with its battery life. I use it extensively every day and only charge it every 5-8 days or so.

The only things I do that seem to reduce it noticeably are if I use bluetooth accessories a lot - say streaming to a speaker or using my keyboard case - or both.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you use the iPad "extensively" and it lasts you a week, then what do you call it when I manage to regularly run down my iPad battery to below 10% almost every day? I use it obsessively, maybe? :p

12. chupachup, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014

chupachup thread starter macrumors 6502

If you want to know how much 7.5mm vs 6.6mm is, hold an iPad Air then hold the Tab S 10" and tell me it is not a big difference . it will literally take your breath away when you hold the new iPad Air.

----------

Any device that gives you a day of heavy use is good.

----------

You're assuming the battery will be smaller, but it could be the same battery. The difference in 1mm could be an improved screen and overall design.

The battery in the Air is already paper thin. If you open the iPad Air you can see the battery glued to the bottom.
    If you remove it, it peels off like paper.

As you can see, you could make the iPad Air much thinner and not get anywhere near the battery.

[​IMG]

Apple managed to go from 11,000+mAh to 8,800mAh in the iPad without sacrificing battery life. I'm not worried about battery life, that's something ipad users have never complained about.

The A8 and the new Ram may offer huge improvements.

13. chupachup, Aug 9, 2014

There is a difference between the leaked display and the current one.

The iPad Air has a separate glass and lcd

[​IMG]

The iPad Air 2 screen leak shows the display is 1 assembly. They've been fused together to make an even thinner screen

[​IMG]

Little bit off here and a little bit off there and soon you go from 7.5mm to 6.6mm.

[​IMG]

14. PFKMan23 macrumors regular

Looks good, but I'm interested to see what improvements if any that they make.

15. chupachup, Aug 9, 2014

Touch ID and A8 with much better graphics.

I bet finally iOS will run the way it was intended. The rest will be when you hold it in your hand. It'll be super thin.

Don't underestimate how much of an improvement the A8 will be. They may go from 28nm to 20nm. Major power savings and performance.

16. exizeo macrumors regular

Thinner is better.

On my iPad 3, I still get a consistent 12-14 hours of battery usage...battery won't be a problem. (I do prefer dimmer displays though, and I'm on JB'd 7.1.1 with f.lux)

17. unibility macrumors 6502

18. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

IFixit score of 1 is coming. Just another thing for people to cry about.

19. chupachup thread starter macrumors 6502

Most everything is built that way now. Those ifixit repair scores don't mean squat, other than how hard it was for them to take it apart.

The original iPad 1 had a score of 6. The iPad Air a 2. Which tablet it better? The thinner they get, and the better they get the more difficult will be to take them apart.

They broke the Surface 3. It was destroyed when they finished. The screen was broken and the battery was a ball.

20. boast macrumors 65816

boast

hopefully it will hurt less when I accidentally drop it on my face while in bed :eek:

21. Serban Suspended

Gold rumours about iPad were one year ago also...so, only space grey and silver still for the next generation iPad

22. chupachup, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2014

I think it was silver in the picture. Just the lighting.

A gold ipad would be a total joke. I don't think they would dare. Not even Jony.

23. ron7624, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2014

ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

24. cynics macrumors G4

New leaked photo of the iPad Air 2 shows how thin it is

It's unlikely it will ever be as thin as the current competition. I just want them to start focusing a little bit more of function over form. I'll take a bunch of cool hardware and features over thinning an already thin device out.

25. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Gold iPad would look terrible, going with silver/white this year

Sick of black