New London Tube App - Tube London City

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Manj27, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Manj27 macrumors member

For the Londoners (or those visiting) - Tube London City is out. It's a bit pricey I think for what it does - at £6 (or $18) it's perhaps not the best of price points to pick. Maybe £3 is a better target.

BUt, it does have some of the most useful features all in a visually attractive package I think. Journey planner, zoomable maps, tube line updates (though not as good looking as TubeStatus app) and station info.

I hope TfL can get their act together and develop a more full featured app with oyster card top-up access and departure board info.

Developer's demo video is on website: http://visualit.co.uk/Apple/iphone.htm

To locate app try Going to "Navigation" category of the itunes App Store (desktop version, iphone version for some reason doesnt pick it up yet) - you'll find it there on Page 1. For some strange reason, it takes a while fore new apps to link up to the itunes search engine.

2. stevearm macrumors 6502a

I can't see it anywhere on the App store?

3. tofupancake macrumors member

Here it is on the App Store for £5.99. Wonder how long it will last. Too expensive for me. He'd make twice as much by selling it at half the price. What a chump.

I expect TfL will squash this right away. Does not appear official or licensed and would be breaking terms of use. The only reason TubeStatus is still up is that it takes such a vanilla feed and presents it almost verbatim.

My dream app would be for TfL to present GPS aware bus arrival ETAs, like the real time boards that are at some stops.

4. Manj27 thread starter macrumors member

Go to "Navigation" category of the itunes App Store (desktop version, iphone version for some reason doesnt pick it up yet) - you'll find it there on Page 1. For some strange reason, it takes a while fore new apps to link up to the itunes search engine.

5. Manj27 thread starter macrumors member

This appears to be a TfL licensed version - the developers have re-created the tube map, and at the bottom appears a tfl license number. I assume TfL do grant them, but they charge for it i guess. As for GPS enabled departure boards - that would be cool, but doubt TfL would put the money and resource into developing that - they'd have to commission a public project no doubt and that would take several years to conclude LOL. Same goes with National Rail - they are even more strict in their data feed usage terms.

6. tofupancake macrumors member

The TubeStatus author said on his blog that it cost £750 (per year?). Good luck to him, then, but I believe £5.99 to be a bad price point, and he should have seen this from the top sales charts. Almost everyone would pay £0.99 for it, surely more than 6x who would pay £5.99.

7. Manj27 thread starter macrumors member

True - 6 quid is too much for mass appeal - they'd get the message eventually, probably testing the market reaction first.

8. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the tip, found it and bought it.

Anyway I doubt he'd be stupid enough to make this app, and use the TfL logo if it wasn't licensed by them.

Shame about the fugly icon.

9. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I take it the journey planner won't include buses?

I'd probably bite at £5.99 if it did....

Phazer

10. stevearm macrumors 6502a

No buses. It's not a real journey planner to be honest, it's just a connect the dots with how long it'll take etc. It let's you plan alternative routes if a line isn't working though.

11. page3 macrumors 6502

£6 is less than one day's journey on the Tube...

12. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Two things.

1 5.99pounds is way too much to spend on an App like this. Tube Status works just as well and is free. Also, the map and journey planner features are rumored to be available in the next update.

2 FYI, 6 pounds translates into apprx. 11.50 USD, not 18. Just thought you should know. :)

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Only if you're daft enough not to use an Oyster card surely? :eek:

I've got Tube Status on mine - not least since I tend to know my routes and the Tube map reasonably well so not that bothered about the route planner bit. I'd have thought about it at £1.99 or so. At £5.99 - no chance.

I did end up chatting to an iPhone developer on the Tube the other day who asked me how much I'd be willing to pay for a game...

14. techguy1 macrumors regular

15. page3 macrumors 6502

£7.20 a day with Oyster!

Agree though, I use TubeStatus. Unfortunately they are all only as good as the information from TFL which is often a work of fiction.

16. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Yeah... but I can do that with a map really underground. And overground I have access to the TFL website.

Underground bus planning would make this worth 6 quid. As it is, probably not...

Phazer

17. Lau Guest

No wonder it always seems to take forever to get around London – I clearly don't know about the underground buses. :p

18. Project macrumors 68020

The TfL journey planner is pretty awesome but I doubt they'd ever allow developers to use it.